What are you reading right now? Page 225

I'm a big fan of Alexei Sayle, at least till those endless TV shows, but his arrogance shines through every page of his buke. Influence is one thing, but he genuinely believes the so-called 'alternative' boom is 100% thanks to him. He actually captions a photo of himself at the Comedy Store as 'history in the making'. Yup, War of American Independence, the Russian Revolution and Alexei swearing.

Ben McIntyre- SAS Rogue Heroes

Quote: Facet @ 25th August 2017, 5:49 PM

About 115 pages into Stephen Fry's autobiography and I'm finding it incredibly dull.

Long winded and often uninteresting anecdotes with mar more description than needed, no structure and sometimes a bit incoherent with a lot of name dropping.

What did you expect? It's a Stephen Fry autobiography!

Just started re-reading Arrivals and Departures by Leslie Thomas.

The Soft Machine, William Burroughs's masterpiece, for the umpteenth time.

MR STRANGE
by Rogered Hard

This is the story of Mr Strange.
Mr Strange lived in Strangetown.
Strangetown birds were exceedingly strange! Strangetown cats were excessively strange! Strangetown gnus were well f**king strange!
Mr Strange was supremely strange. For instance. If he was walking along the beach, he'd do something strange all right!
Mr Strange was superlatively strange. For instance. If he was watching the news, he'd do something strange all right!
Mr Strange was well f**king strange. For instance. If he was eating a woodlouse, he'd do something strange all right!
One day Mr Strange met Sidney the worm. 'Hello,' he said. 'Hello,' said Sidney. Sidney was a worm of few words.
One day Mr Strange decided to stop being strange. 'I want to be normal,' he said.
And gradually... Slowly... Little by little... He did normal things!
So if you don't want to be strange, what should you do?
(turn page) Normal things!

I am currently reading the collected works of Freud. I was particularly impressed by his 46853-volume tome 'The Pleasure Principle', in which he argues that one is atttracted to that which one finds attractive, and repelled from that which one finds repulsive. For example, could I choose between licking cider off Melanie C's shoulderblades while another Melanie C caresses my boy parts, or a close relative inserting a cricket bat with barbed wire wrapped round it so far up my rectum that my tonsils explode, I would most probably gravitate towards the former. Freud is AWESOME.

I am continuing my voyage into Freud and he never fails to entice. I was especially intrigued by the notion of the Freudian slip, whereby that which one says reflects that which one is thinking about. For example, if I say, 'Beer and Melanie C's thighs,' then an attentive scholar steeped in Freud may deduce I am indeed thinking about beer and Melanie C's thighs, rather than seventeen cock-thirsty Vikings stroking a French gnu in Ikea. Freud is AWESOME.

"Is It Just Me Or Is Everything Shit?" Volume Two

Now 11 years out of print but still raises a laugh.

I've just finished 'The Peculiar Memories of Thomas Penman' by Bruce Robinson (same guy who did Withnail and I). I found it hilarious. It follows a weird kid with a weird family through pre-adolescence and is full of some really funny set pieces. I can't quite work out what the plot is supposed to be but it was really worth reading.

Now I'm reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King. About a third of the way through (it's massive). Quite fun but it's only just kicking off really. Anyone else read it?

I read a book once. Green it was.

50 years of Hancocks Half Hour

That sounds good Lofty.

My favourite writer is Anonymous. Look how many books he wrote: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_anonymously_published_works. He did some good paintings and was a prolific composer in his spare time too. Genius.

Stated re-reading Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy, in readiness for the new one coming out at the end of the month.

Richard Matheson's short stories. love a bit iof Dick.
What do you call an American who shags his kid? Dickinson.