I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,956

Quote: DaButt @ 5th October 2017, 4:10 PM

My answer to that question will always be "not enough." :)

I own six: a .38 Special revolver, a .40 pistol, a .22 rifle, a .223 AR-15, a .308 rifle, and a 12-gauge shotgun. I'm planning to eventually buy a .45 pistol and some sort of AK variant. After that, who knows?

I'm guessing a Smith&Wesson 38? It is a classic little handgun you'll see in many movies. Standard cop issue I believe. Or is in the films.
308 rifle - modern or vintage? I'm picturing the legendary WW2 M1 Garand which I would love to shoot.
Surprised you don't have a Colt 45, the dream pistol for collectors and hobbyists I always thought.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th October 2017, 4:29 PM

An AK47, for when you absolutely positively must put 50 holes in a burglar.

The standard magazine capacity for an AK (and an AR-15, for that matter) is 30 rounds, but there's no fixed number for the number of holes you need to put in a bad guy. You just keep shooting them until they fall down and are no longer a threat and sometimes there are more than one bad guys.

Nobody in their right mind uses an AK or AR-15 for protection in their home, unless it's the only thing on hand. Rifle rounds will penetrate interior walls and endanger other household members, and they may even penetrate exterior walls and endanger your neighbors.

The best weapon for home defense is a shotgun. It won't penetrate walls with lethal force, but it's a little unwieldy in cramped spaces.

Las Vegas shooting victims get a visit from Trump... Ain't they suffered enough already?

:)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 5th October 2017, 4:30 PM

I'm guessing a Smith&Wesson 38? It is a classic little handgun you'll see in many movies. Standard cop issue I believe. Or is in the films.

Yeah, it's a S&W Model 642. It's a tiny 5-shot snub-nosed revolver that fits perfectly in my pocket. Not very accurate at long range because of the short barrel, but it does what it's supposed to do. It has an internal hammer, so there's nothing to get snagged or jammed in your pocket.

Cops used to use larger .38 revolvers, but they only carry some sort of semi-auto like a Glock now. Higher magazine capacity, etc. Many cops still carry a snubby in an ankle holster as a backup weapon.

308 rifle - modern or vintage? I'm picturing the legendary WW2 M1 Garand which I would love to shoot.

It's a newer Savage hunting rifle that I've never shot because I've been too lazy to attach and align the scope. Maybe this deer season...

I'd love to own an M1...maybe one of these days. I'm basically trying to stick to the most popular calibers of ammunition so that ammo is cheap and readily available.

Surprised you don't have a Colt 45, the dream pistol for collectors and hobbyists I always thought. I'd love to own one, I have to say.

Yeah, it's a masterpiece. I've come close to pulling the trigger on buying one, but money is tight. One of these days...

Quote: zooo @ 4th October 2017, 4:33 PM

But the whole gun culture thing seems to be largely about money and the NRA controlling the government with their huge donations. Pretty disgusting.

"The National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law," the NRA said in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."

They were approved by the Obama-era BATF, but the NRA has asked for a review of their legality.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/05/politics/nra-bump-stocks/index.html

Phew, you are all saved

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th October 2017, 8:39 PM

Phew, you are all saved

Yep, we'll likely ban a device that had never before been used in a crime (to my knowledge), but that's about par for the course as far as reactionary gun legislation goes.

Here's an excellent 2015 Michael Moore documentary which perfectly encapsulates the malaise of the US status quo and shows how americans are actually being ripped off by the institution that many of them so vigorously defend. Everyone should watch this:

http://sockshare.net/watch/Ed9o3NxY-where-to-invade-next.html

Quote: SSTT @ 7th October 2017, 2:22 AM

Here's an excellent 2015 Michael Moore documentary which perfectly encapsulates the malaise of the US status quo and shows how americans are actually being ripped off by the institution that many of them so vigorously defend. Everyone should watch this:

I'd rather have a root canal than sit through one of that blowhard's films. If anyone can give Donald Trump a run for the title of "Most Annoying American Celebrity" it would be Michael Moore.

Quote: DaButt @ 7th October 2017, 2:29 PM

Michael Moore is s***e.

Quote: SSTT @ 7th October 2017, 2:22 AM

Have you watched the film in question?

Quote: DaButt @ 7th October 2017, 2:29 PM

No.

That just says it all. You're in denial, DaButt. I've said it before and I'll say it again: you have problems and should seek help.

Quote: SSTT @ 7th October 2017, 4:19 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again: you have problems and should seek help.

Says the person who just posted an imaginary conversation...:S

Would the US be more popular with tourists if there were no guns?

Enough of this, anyway. What did people think of May's speech?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 7th October 2017, 5:48 PM

Would the US be more popular with tourists if there were no guns?

One of the most popular attractions with foreign tourists in Las Vegas is a place where you can shoot all sorts of fully automatic weapons. There are similar operations in our other vacation destination, Orlando.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 7th October 2017, 5:48 PM

Enough of this, anyway. What did people think of May's speech?

Haven't seen anything on the news. What did she say?

Cough, splutter, cough, hack, ahem, gargles water. Ill