Newsjack 2017 Page 42

Well done Damian B and Death By Monkey. Really interested to know what bits you got on. I think you are all correct. Persistence is key. One day. It is fun writing comedy.

Quote: V Riddoch @ 5th October 2017, 6:42 PM

If you find it fun, keep going! This really is a long game. I didn't get anything in the script (but was cut) until my third series. I got a sketch and a couple of one-liners in the fourth.

Then I met some lovely people from BCG at a recording (Hey, kids! Don't meet up with strangers from the internet!), whom I then went on to work on other projects with. Best of all I met the fabulous Bonzo; we've now been writing together for three years.

Keep looking around for other opportunities, like NewsRevue and the Treason Show; both are weekly, year-round shows so are great for practice.

Thank you.

Quote: Mrkgrngr @ 5th October 2017, 6:23 PM

Just had a thought. Is calling Boris Johnson a fascist in a joke slanderous/libellous? If so, I didn't stand a chance with my favourite of the jokes I sent them.

Not sure. He is a politician so less risky and probably get's called that a lot in the press. Can't see him ever suing over that. I wrote about Katie Hopkins. I did not quote her exactly so arguably twisted what she said a bit. Tricky legal area.

Tonight's programme shoe-horned in some Tory conference material that sounded like it was bashed-out in haste *after the Monday sketch deadline* for the sake of sheer topicality.

The Tory sketch was dire.

Overall, it seemed like a piss-poor episode: the low point of the series (so far).

Whilst they didn't use anything I wrote - they used sketches rather similar

Well done to those who got in.

Nothing for me this week. But then I didn't submit anything so that would've been surprising.

Faves this week we're the Only Fools sketch and the self-marriage sketch. Were they from anyone here?

I didn't get anything in, as it was my first submission wasn't really holding my breath. Congratulations to everyone who got something in :)
Have only recently discovered the show and this forum, but reading through the process and anticipation that you guys write about has me pumped up to start writing regularly and trying to churn out jokes... at the very least the jokes I submitted got a few genuine belly laughs from friends, so at least someone benefited from them.

haunted ventriloquist dummy joke....LOL

Quote: Stobbart42 @ 6th October 2017, 12:57 AM

Faves this week we're the Only Fools sketch and the self-marriage sketch. Were they from anyone here?

I had a sologamy one-liner for either the first or second episode, back when it was a recent topic, but I didn't send it in as I replaced it with what I thought was stronger material (the gist of it being that one of the sologamist's hands was getting jealous of the other one).

I wonder who is the most successful contributor to Newsjack on here?
It certainly isn't me - I have only had two one liners on.
Anyone?

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 6th October 2017, 2:41 PM

I wonder who is the most successful contributor to Newsjack on here?
It certainly isn't me - I have only had two one liners on.
Anyone?

Didn't DeathbyMonkey say he had 11 credits on the show? That's an incredible strike rate.

Quote: Bonzo @ 5th October 2017, 7:21 PM

Well done DeathbyMonkey and Damian! Let us know afterwards which bits were yours!

For reasons of accuracy, I must just point out that V is by far the most fabulous part of the team!

No, I'm not: you are! (At this point, the pair fell out and never wrote again.)

The other thing that's worth remembering is that you may well be doing really well without knowing. The sketches go through several sifts and you may be making it through to the read-through stage. And the producers will remember you for that.

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ 5th October 2017, 7:00 PM

Cheers guys, it's my 11th credit, and seeing as this is show number 101 I feel slightly more proud my stuff is in more than 10% of Newsjack's shows.

That is excellent.

Quote: Bigger Piece @ 5th October 2017, 10:49 PM

The Tory sketch was dire.

Overall, it seemed like a piss-poor episode: the low point of the series (so far).

It's difficult if you just don't have the same sense of humour as those in charge of the show, it makes it a bit demoralising sending submissions as you know you're unlikely to "click" with the editors... personally I found the episode a bit too Ryan Giggs (left wing) and only 1 or 2 chuckles Errr

Quote: skram @ 7th October 2017, 3:22 PM

It's difficult if you just don't have the same sense of humour as those in charge of the show, it makes it a bit demoralising sending submissions as you know you're unlikely to "click" with the editors... personally I found the episode a bit too Ryan Giggs (left wing) and only 1 or 2 chuckles Errr

Definitely. I never find all the sketches funny as humour is so personal but the number of sketches that appeal to me varies obviously from week to week. There was one episode which was my least favourite. I think it was 2. I liked the Only Fools one and the self marriage too. I liked the pret a manger joke in the Trump sketch made even funnier by Luke who is I think a really good impersonator. They were my favourite bits in this episode.

For me the one liners worked well in this episide. In some episodes some of them don't appeal to my humour but I 'got' the ones in this episode.

The only fools sketch was the best this week. I haven't sent anything in this series. Well done to those getting stuff in this series. Was nice hearing our old BCG chum Dan Sweryt with a credit this week. https://www.comedy.co.uk/people/dan_sweryt/

I just sent my first sketch submission ever (only ever sent one-liners until now)
It was humourous enough I think, but lacked any killer punchlines. I doubt it'll get on, but it was fun to practice.