Underrated, undervalued or forgotten gems Page 21

ITV didn't release either of those shows - they were put out by an independent distributor (Boulevard Entertainment), knowing that the Python association would shift units, mainly in the US. There's just no similar big draw for this one, sadly.

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 20 2011, 9:46 PM GMT

I thought Garth Marenghi's Darkplace was great, but the conceit of the show struggled to fill six episodes, so I don't think it could have successfully taken on a second series. Some shows - especially "concept sitcoms" (for want of a better phrase) are best left at one series and are not really built to last multiple series. Nathan Barley is another example of this.

That show had more legs than a centipede orgy.

It was just so damned expensive

Fairly Secret Army, I've just tried an abortive search on here for a Forum Post of this comedy gem, apologies to anyone who has started one, please put me in its direction.
I love all of the original Reginald Perrin series, and the character of Reggie's brother in law was great, especially his nutty idea of a Fairly Secret Army. Their conversation about it was brilliant very funny, I won't spoil anyone's enjoyment of it here by reciting any of it. So when I heard about the actual series I couldn't wait to watch it, both my partner and I loved it. A particular delight to us was our son Jamie's reaction to the opening credits, where the character stands in army uniform and salutes. He was captivated by that and stood in front of the screen and emulated it, he blotted out the screen, but we couldn't help but love him for it.
I can't wait to get it all on DVD. It's a shame that it wasn't made by the same company as the original, as then characters from each could have cropped up on it. I understand that makers of it had to imply that it wasn't the same character in both shows, but it obviously was.

Don't Wait Up and Executive Stress - two gems by George Layton. Both now on DVD, but largely forgotten, sadly.