Newsjack 2017 Page 39

Quote: Anorak @ 4th October 2017, 11:40 AM

Quick reminder here of the nuts and bolts of sketch writing. Good luck...

https://www.patreon.com/posts/14679897

Nice read. But, unless I missed it, it doesn't any examples of sketches that have the 'second twist'.

Anyone able to report back from the recording?

Did anything funny happen in yesterday's news? I literally cannot think of anything (coughs).
Timing!

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 5th October 2017, 10:06 AM

Did anything funny happen in yesterday's news? I literally cannot think of anything (coughs).
Timing!

I think you need it.

"Did anything funny (cough! cough! cough!) happen in yesterday's news." is better.

You've made it too long.

I suppose if there was a long pause between anything and the cough. But would that work in front of an audience? They'll be coughing anyway.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 5th October 2017, 10:06 AM

Timing!

One of frustrating aspects of submitting to the show is that whenever something interesting happens in the days immediately after the Tuesday deadline, the jokes you end up writing can't be submitted until the following week. And by that time the news cycle will have invariably moved on.

It's inconceivable that they won't cover the Tory conference this week, so why would they bother to read out listener-submitted jokes on the same subject next week?

It's duck race day again. Fire up the Joke Crusher and send hope through a mangle. Gotta Love it........actually no!

Timing is an issue with any topical news show.

Although I would say that NJ promotes taking news from Friday onwards, we routinely see stories appearing from the previous week. Recent example that comes to mind is the Toys R Us joke which resembled one pitched the previous week.

I also can't be the only one who resubmitted one of last week's number crunchers this week. I find that is the format with the least topical content.

Quote: Thosisd @ 5th October 2017, 12:59 PM

I also can't be the only one who resubmitted one of last week's number crunchers this week. I find that is the format with the least topical content.

Good point. It's just a shame that my number crunchers are always crap. :(

I got the impression they didn't want anything which had already been submitted unsuccessfully before?

Funnily enough, that subject gets mentioned in the behind-the-scenes feature by Craig Beadle. I guess some jokes can pop up like the Mary Celeste if they're good enough. "This week there was a joke from the previous week that they had so much faith in they wanted to give it a go again." https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/newsjack/special/behind_the_scenes_on_newsjack/

Great! Time to dig up all my unused John Stonehouse jokes...

:D

I think in general they don't want reused content, and the aspiration is it's as topical as possible. But as a regular listener, this is not entirely the case. Sketches are different.

I wouldn't resend something that was cut for time (although I was close!) but in this week's case zero number chruncers were used and replaced by voicemails. So the debate is - were they rejected or not required?

After hearing the last episode, I kind of wish they put out an episode specific brief asking for us to submit 1 voicemail in place of NC's as it would have renergised people a bit at the mid series hump.

Good luck everyone. Not long now.

Looking forward to reading the rejects too.