The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 670

Quote: lofthouse @ 19th September 2017, 8:22 PM

That Alex Scott is quite astoundingly attractive ...

Huh?Huh?

Yes - but there are loads of good players there too.

How about this.

Manure fans accused of being racist because they apparently have a song about the size of Lukaku's dick. Apart from being pathetic it claims it's racial stereotyping. I would have thought it was more like sexual stereotyping.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41317495

Mark Sampson sacked as England ladies coach for inappropriate behaviour in a previous role.

This f**king snowflake country we live in. Who planted all these bastard self-pity trees. Bastard social media is to blame - f**king splitters.

Quote: Chappers @ 19th September 2017, 10:12 PM

Yes - but there are loads of good players there too.

How about this.

Manure fans accused of being racist because they apparently have a song about the size of Lukaku's dick. Apart from being pathetic it claims it's racial stereotyping. I would have thought it was more like sexual stereotyping.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41317495

He's a man and therefore he must have a massive cock = would be a sexual stereotyping
He's a black man and therefore he must have a massive cock = would be a racial stereotyping

I've never heard of the first one being a stereotype, sadly.

So FIFA have said they will have a meeting to decide (favourably?) if they will let the British teams wear the poppy on an armband, and not fine them as they did last year.

Well you know what FIFA? You can go and f**k yourselves.

Playing devils advocate; what would you say if German players wanted to wear Iron Crosses or even swastika's.
They never actually would as Germans do not have a remembrance service or day - they prefer to forget.
So in a way poppies could be seen as rubbing their noses in it.

Just a thought.

IN FLANDERS FIELDS

In Flanders' fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place: and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders' fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe;
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high,
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders' Fields.

How can you compare the poppy of remembrance to the swastika or iron cross? It's a symbol for those fallen, especially in the WWI battle fields. Not a celebration.

I never said it was a celebration.
But it is a British thing. No one else does it (at least not how we do)

I did say 'devils advocate'

I go to the local remembrance day service every year. The old boys from WW2 are getting fewer and fewer but they still march through the town. It makes me weep every time they lower the flag during the 'we will remember them' speech

My now long gone mother and father inlaw used to be part of the march - she was in the WAF's and he was in bomber command.
He was decorated with the CGM (RAF) medal, presented to him at Buckingham palace by King George VI. (the first time medals had been given at Buck house - the picture of him receiving it covered the whole front page of The Daily Mirror at the time)

I know you didn't say celebration, but German players wearing the Iron Cross or Swastika would be seen as such.

My father spent 27 years in the RAF (was flying Wapitis in North Africa after his 3 year apprenticeship and was much later, in the war Mentioned in Dispatches) and when he died in 1984 I took the whole thing as matter of fact.

BUT on the day of the funeral (I'm welling up now) as we went into the chapel, following his coffin the four British Legion flag bearers lowered their flags and I became a gibbering wreck and had to be half carried in by my mother and my wife.
Just for a brief instant I saw him standing there proudly to attention in his full dress uniform and that was it. Was it in my head, was it his ghost? I don't know, it was just so vivid as if I could have touched him. I simply couldn't stop crying, which I am doing now.

I know mate - I'm with ya. The lowering of the flag onto the floor is so poignant.
The hearse arrived with my father inlaw and his coffin was draped in the union jack.
He was given the full send off by the RAFA club with flags being lowered at the appropriate time.

There you go - I was in such a state typing that. It was the local RAFA and not the British Legion flag bearers, and I wrote to the branch to tell them how much I appreciated them being there and that incident with the flag lowering.

I got a letter back from the chairman who said he read my letter out in full and saw a number of the men crying at the meeting.

The swastika was used as a political symbol that represented a political party and an ideology. You can't compare it to poppies which are purely to remember all the lives lost at war.

Cool

Great news! Roy of the Rovers is coming back! He can only be about 85 years old!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-41419268

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th September 2017, 11:50 PM

So FIFA have said they will have a meeting to decide (favourably?) if they will let the British teams wear the poppy on an armband, and not fine them as they did last year. Well you know what FIFA? You can go and f**k yourselves.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 26th September 2017, 8:38 AM

Playing devils advocate; what would you say if German players wanted to wear Iron Crosses or even swastika's.
They never actually would as Germans do not have a remembrance service or day - they prefer to forget.
So in a way poppies could be seen as rubbing their noses in it.

The thing is: the poppy in question is the trademark of the Royal British Legion, which is a corporate entity, designed to make money. Working for said institution can be a very lucrative career, if you are in the old boys' network that controls it. Check out their audited accounts: some of the salaries might alarm you. It works like all other charity scams: the rich write off tax due as charitable donations, reaping the kudos and rewards (knighthoods, lordships etc.) that giving to charity bestows upon the wealthy.

So why should FIFA allow free advertising for this company and not for others?