Till Death Us Do Part Page 2

Quote: Chappers @ 27th September 2017, 3:50 PM

RIP Tony although you've got a lot to face up to at the Pearly Gates. After all you produced that hideous woman!

Exactly. Not so much the RIP as I didn't really care for him, but as for his spawn. F**king hell, where do I start.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th September 2017, 4:33 PM

Exactly. Not so much the RIP as I didn't really care for him, but as for his spawn. F**king hell, where do I start.

I should implement that Like button on the rest of the forums...

Ah...the BeelzeBlairs: Together for all eternity. Deservedly so........

Does anybody know why Mike and Rita were re-cast for the second film special?

Also, am a little confused as to the chronological order of things in terms of where they lived.

They lived in a two-up, two down somewhere in the east end during the second world war. Then were forced to live in a tower block in Essex, as seen in the end of first film and second. Then for the rest of the series, appeared to live in a two-up, two-down standard terraced house.

I guess we just need to assume they moved out again?! Is it as simple as that?

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 28th September 2017, 10:33 AM

Also, am a little confused as to the chronological order of things in terms of where they lived.

They lived in a two-up, two down somewhere in the east end during the second world war. Then were forced to live in a tower block in Essex, as seen in the end of first film and second. Then for the rest of the series, appeared to live in a two-up, two-down standard terraced house.

I guess we just need to assume they moved out again?! Is it as simple as that?

It's generally a bad idea to try to take film spin-offs of the era as gospel! The only one that properly fits into the narrative of the series it's from, as far as I can recall, is Please Sir!, in which Bernard meets his wife-to-be, who then appears in the next TV series.

Yes - the film too everything out of context.

I just remembered that abysmal re-recording from a couple of years ago. That really was an abortion even though I like some of the actors.

The Alf Garnett Saga is a disaster zone occupying the same hellish pit as the awful Are You Being Served? movie. The original Till Death movie is a great piece of work, and the second great Britcom, along with the fab Likely Lads.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 28th September 2017, 10:33 AM

Does anybody know why Mike and Rita were re-cast for the second film special?

I've done some research on this for you this evening. I've found no 100% definitive answer, but: it seems after the BBC originally cancelled the series in 1968, amidst various tensions, both Stubbs and Booth found plenty of work elsewhere, particularly on stage.

Booth in particular had grown to hate the show, taking the critical line and believing it to be promoting Alf's views and being "right wing propaganda", rather than mocking them, and seems to have disliked Speight too. In fact, when the BBC revived the series in 1972, it took Mitchell going into character in public and begging him to return, for him to agree to come back.

No surprise, then, that he made no appearance (that I'm aware of offhand) in either Till Death... or In Sickness & In Health.

(Neither Mike nor Rita appeared in the 1970 special Up The Polls nor the 1971 Christmas Night With The Stars sketch.)

So another lost episode recovered then? It's arrived too late to appear on the new DVD release that came out at the end of last year. What are the chances of the general public being able to see it / getting hold of a copy? I don't suppose Network would re-do the DVD set just to add another episode. I found a tiny bit of this episode (that the BBC has held for some time) on YouTube but to see the complete episode would be great.

Network may well repackage the DVD set at some point, but I doubt existing owners would be too keen to buy it just for the one episode. Hopefully other episodes will be recovered and they'll collect them up into a separate DVD release for those of us who already own the box set.

In the meantime, I'd imagine best hopes for seeing it are the series becoming available to buy as a download at some point.

I've no idea but yes, probably to download. Awesome show and you never thought I'd say anything positive. The first series of ISAIH is a corker.
I was always amazed how people misunderstood and thought the series actually was racist. Kids at school (so it must be true) said they refused to watch it and Radio Times readers (so it must be truer) wrote in to complain. It's strange cos if you don't get the parody the whole series doesn't make sense. There was a similar issue with The Young Ones 1.3 where the policeman has sunglasses on so he thinks the other guy is black and tries to nick him. People still squirm and the skit was removed from some repeats and vids. Context and all that.
Slightly off-topic but feature length comedies of sitcoms rarely work. Steptoe is horrible. Unless you like seeing naked old men in baths saying, Harold. Takes all sorts, I guess. The exception was Partridge but I've only seen it once - I can't imagine watching it again and again like some of the series.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 27th September 2017, 8:19 AM

But read, particularly, the one-star reviews before you consider buying.

Maybe that's for the quality of the release rather than the actual show. I thought The Young Ones DVD set was pathetic, especially when you consider how enorm they were, but I still bought it because I wanted all the shows. Man, am I profound.
There you go, a whole post without saying 'I hate it', 'f**k' or Spice Girls.

I purchased this

No qualms about it other than some of the black and white episodes have audio only, with stills of the characters talking. Very bizarre.

Also, the damn DVDs do not play on my almost brand new Blu-ray/DVD player. Never had a problem with any of my other DVDs/Blu-rays playing. So I have to use the laptop or my old PS3 to watch them.

If you read the booklet that should have come with the set, you'll see those episodes only exist as soundtrack recordings. Big kudos to Network for bothering to find and include them, I reckon.

Which discs are you having trouble playing? I seem to recall some are CD or data discs so would indeed not work normally in some players.

Quote: Aaron @ 19th August 2018, 11:59 PM

If you read the booklet that should have come with the set, you'll see those episodes only exist as soundtrack recordings. Big kudos to Network for bothering to find and include them, I reckon.

Which discs are you having trouble playing? I seem to recall some are CD or data discs so would indeed not work normally in some players.

To be fair, I hadn't read the booklet. Just the pictures - I am still a child like that.

All discs do not play on my quite brand new blu-ray/DVD Samsung player - much older DVDs I own play without any problems at all.

Not one single one of the discs works in your player, you mean? That's definitely not right!

I'll try mine shortly...