This forum - Photobucket

I know there is a "This Forum" and "Photobucket" thread but I wanted this to be highlighted.

I have just joined a forum (diecasts) and uploading pictures/photos to them could not be simpler as you upload direct from your PC, and so this beggars the question as to why we cannot do this here on the BCG?

All this faffing about trying to find a photo server, piss arsing about uploading, copying the code, posting the modified code Angry and then being blackmailed into paying for the service is just not on - I see all Photobucket photos are still blanked out and how long will it be before Tinypic goes the same way as I believe they are owned by Photobucket.

Well? The Powers that be on this site?

ALSO it will help the computer/internet illiterate (who said it was Chappers!? :P ) to post photos.

Probably the hosting costs and time needed to maintain the server that hosts the images. Then on top of that the backups that need to be monitored and troubleshooting user issues with uploads it would become a full time job for someone.

I use facebook because images I posted years ago are still available so it would appear the URLs never change.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th September 2017, 12:39 PM

I know there is a "This Forum" and "Photobucket" thread but I wanted this to be highlighted.

I have just joined a forum (diecasts) and uploading pictures/photos to them could not be simpler as you upload direct from your PC, and so this beggars the question as to why we cannot do this here on the BCG?

All this faffing about trying to find a photo server, piss arsing about uploading, copying the code, posting the modified code Angry and then being blackmailed into paying for the service is just not on - I see all Photobucket photos are still blanked out and how long will it be before Tinypic goes the same way as I believe they are owned by Photobucket.

ALSO it will help the computer/internet illiterate (who said it was Chappers!? :P ) to post photos.

https://imgur.com/

Might be worth a try.

Yeah imgur is great. You don't even have to have an account.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 25th September 2017, 2:02 PM

Probably the hosting costs and time needed to maintain the server that hosts the images. Then on top of that the backups that need to be monitored and troubleshooting user issues with uploads it would become a full time job for someone.

Well, from all appearances it seems a site frequented by few but they seem to manage.

Quote: Nogget @ 25th September 2017, 2:18 PM

https://imgur.com/

Might be worth a try.

Ta, and it is the one I used last time as I was having trouble with Tinypic and Photobucket is now a no-no, but still don't see why we have to use them if it can be done "in house".

Quote: Stobbart42 @ 25th September 2017, 2:54 PM

Yeah imgur is great. You don't even have to have an account.

You don't have to with Tinypic and didn't have to with Photobucket, until they got greedy.

I can think of a few reasons for not having a built-in image upload capability:

1) I believe the BCG forum code was written by the site owners, so it would probably take a lot of time to get it written and perfected. I assume our benevolent overlords are busy doing more important things.

2) Unless they are specifically blocked from doing so, images on the BCG could be hotlinked elsewhere. So someone could post a link to a Punch cartoon and someone could use it in another forum or on a website. If it was linked to someplace with millions of hits it could put a heavy load on the BCG server and could result in expensive bandwidth charges.

3) The site owners would be responsible for photos that are posted here. Copyright infringements (and that's what most images on the Internet really are) could result in lawsuits, and if someone posted something illegal or indecent the BCG owners could be held responsible.

They appear on Facebook OK.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th September 2017, 10:09 PM

They appear on Facebook OK.

Why have we never seen any pictures/photos from you on here then?

Quote: DaButt @ 25th September 2017, 3:53 PM

I can think of a few reasons for not having a built-in image upload capability:

1) I believe the BCG forum code was written by the site owners, so it would probably take a lot of time to get it written and perfected. I assume our benevolent overlords are busy doing more important things.

2) Unless they are specifically blocked from doing so, images on the BCG could be hotlinked elsewhere. So someone could post a link to a Punch cartoon and someone could use it in another forum or on a website. If it was linked to someplace with millions of hits it could put a heavy load on the BCG server and could result in expensive bandwidth charges.

3) The site owners would be responsible for photos that are posted here. Copyright infringements (and that's what most images on the Internet really are) could result in lawsuits, and if someone posted something illegal or indecent the BCG owners could be held responsible.

OK with 1 & 2 BUT it would be nice to get "the owners" take on this,

As for 3 how is that different if the photos or whatever were posted third party? That is, via a hosting site?

I see all Photobucket photos are still blanked out

This is news to me. I wonder if we could charge £399 a year...?

All of the reasons given above are good reasons and considerations in implementing such an upload tool. Perhaps the main reason it was never previously done, however, is that it simply wasn't necessary.

However, I'm not minded to set aside time to begin making an image uploader when the only person who is particularly bothered about having one is moaning and demanding like a petulant toddler rather than requesting and questioning politely, like a grown adult.

Quote: Aaron @ 26th September 2017, 7:46 AM

This is news to me. I wonder if we could charge £399 a year...?

All of the reasons given above are good reasons and considerations in implementing such an upload tool. Perhaps the main reason it was never previously done, however, is that it simply wasn't necessary.

However, I'm not minded to set aside time to begin making an image uploader when the only person who is particularly bothered about having one is moaning and demanding like a petulant toddler rather than requesting and questioning politely, like a grown adult.

Unnecessary comment and a typical OTT response again to a simple question - you need to re read what I said and not do your usual knee jerk reaction.
You must enjoy upsetting people.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th September 2017, 9:30 AM

You must enjoy upsetting people.

Everyone needs a hobby.

Quote: Lee @ 26th September 2017, 9:28 PM

Everyone needs a hobby.

Oh well, if it makes him happy, but there is no need for rudeness.

When time allowed I had been putting together a DVD from my collection of some 300 self recorded DVDs of the odd comedy clips I have of Morwenna Banks etc from the early days of BBC digital (BBC Choice), but I'll be f**ked if I will finish it for him now.

Genuine question, Hercules: are you on the autistic spectrum? You don't seem to be aware of how rude your own posts read to other people?