Newsjack 2017 Page 31

Quote: Nogget @ 23rd September 2017, 8:08 AM

So I think there were only seven sketches in episode 2. Given that several of these would have come from the commissioned writers, I wonder how many public-submitted sketches were aired; two or three maybe?

Surely all the sketches are submitted by the public?

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 24th September 2017, 11:29 AM

Surely all the sketches are submitted by the public?

No, unless something's changed recently. They have a writing room with a few in-house writers, whose names you'll hear credited on several other shows, and added to that, some lucky people who are invited in to write with them. In total, maybe 8 people, each required to write 2 sketches. These sketches are much more likely to be broadcast, because the producer is on call to shape it to their needs, and indeed when I was there, several of the sketches broadcast that week originated from the room....possibly about half the total broadcast, on that occasion.

I see. Interesting.

Due to an unusually busy Monday I've just sent off my sketches. Feels weird doing it the night before instead of in the last few minutes in a panic.

Am just putting in two sketches before 10. They are actually written early too for once rather than being a last-minute rush and panic. I've done what Newsjack advise against and chosen a very big story for one sketch. So no chance. It just made me laugh writing it. So at least it made one person laugh. Probably no chance even if it was a small story so WTH.
Have been trying since the days of Nish and got nowhere yet. I think my first attempts were the last series Nish did so I guess this makes it my fourth or fifth? It's not good when you lose track of the number of series that you have had no success in! I have been reading the rejects on here and I think some are very good.
When NJ say 700 odd oneliners they mean 700 collections of one liners. Oh my! The odds...

I've just sent in two sketches: one knocked-up late last week/over the weekend on the topic of mis-pressed records; the other bashed out at the last minute on the size of Saudi women's brains.

I've got a full set of one liners (I'm making 'em shorter!) and number crunchers as well, but I'll hold onto them until tomorrow, just in case the inspiration/opportunity to replace something breaks overnight ...

I did one sketch on Trump and Kim/pot and kettle (no chance). Second one was on MPs' care home (House of Lords).

Thurs 28 Sept; NEWSJACK: The topical comedy show anyone can contribute material to is 100 episodes old. Hosted by Angela Barnes, this edition will invite back past hosts for cameos, along with alumni of previous series Lewis McLeod and Margaret Cabourn Smith. The previous hosts have been Nish Kumar, Romesh Ranganathan, Justin Edwards and Miles Jupp.

Quote: Nogget @ 25th September 2017, 11:34 AM

Thurs 28 Sept; NEWSJACK: The topical comedy show anyone can contribute material to is 100 episodes old. Hosted by Angela Barnes, this edition will invite back past hosts for cameos, along with alumni of previous series Lewis McLeod and Margaret Cabourn Smith. The previous hosts have been Nish Kumar, Romesh Ranganathan, Justin Edwards and Miles Jupp.

Thanks. Where was this information?

2 Sketches for Episode 3 sent!

Now to the oneliners!

Good luck everyone!

J x

Really struggled this week despite obsessively reading the news since Thursday. Eventually got my two submissions in.

Anyone else find it a tough week?

Quote: Thosisd @ 25th September 2017, 12:39 PM

Really struggled this week despite obsessively reading the news since Thursday. Eventually got my two submissions in.

Anyone else find it a tough week?

Yes, quite a tough week, I thought - we eventually went with the French 3 star Michelin chef who wants to be excluded from the guide, and the BBC's revival of Saturday morning kids tv shows.

Good luck everyone! :)

lovin' the news angles @Bonzo!! I'm was laughing just reading them

my head decided to write a sketch linked to the whole Uber thing, despite my best efforts to remind it that it's pretty much the most prominent breaking story of the weekend....so well frickin' played me eh!?

actually didn't find anything funny this week, not even my jokes (which is unusual because I'm the only one who laughs at them). I generally give up around episode three...will see if I've got the wherewithals to continue this time round and not be such a sauerkraut (can I say that or is a bit racist? my apologies if it is, I meant it purely in the fermented cabbage sense).

bonne chance

Yep. I'm struggling for one-liners. No inspiration.

Sent off a sketch this week about Uber.

Already got some one liners but I fear the subject matter is too old already.

Here's hoping a story somewhere between "front page news" and "not too obscure" comes about...