Enjoy your day - it's your last.

The world is going to end today!

Clear your diary. The world might be about to end. Clear your diaries folks - we have a big day tomorrow (Saturday, September 23), when all life as we know it may end. A number of conspiracy theorists - including Christian numerologist David Meade - claims that a mysterious planet called 'Nibiru' will collide with Earth, killing everyone and devastating the planet, sometime this Saturday.

Read more at: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/why-the-world-could-end-tomorrow-but-you-shouldn-t-worry-1-8767647

I better cut the grass then.

I've just put my spring bulbs in. Angry

Iv'e bought a ticket for the match this aft, hope it's tonight when it happens.
Me being a parsimonious Yorkshire man - I don't want to waste me brass

I had a dream like that once. Mine had rainbow tsunamis though.

That apocalypse at least would be pretty exciting, and I'm guessing quick. Possibly best case apocalypse? Not sure. What do you think would be the best case apocalypse? Definitely not a worldwide plague. I'm not down for that. Not a big fan of nuclear holocaust either. I mean, it's probably just going to be global warming. I guess I'm already in that particular apocalypse....it's just rather slow. Needs more rainbow tsunamis.

Sidenote: are there any particularly threatening natural disasters in the UK?

ZOMBIES PLEASE.

Zombies would kill me right quick. I'm okay with that.

My dad has loads of guns. He'd probably become some sort of lord of the hicks.

...nevermind, all the hicks also have guns. My dad probably has more shovels though. That has to count for something.

Quote: Davida @ 23rd September 2017, 10:24 AM

Sidenote: are there any particularly threatening natural disasters in the UK?

No, not since the USAF bases closed down, Whistling nnocently especially where I am in East Anglia.
:D

Are you trying to lure me to east anglia with your lack of natural disasters etc?

Kind of have my sites set on somewhere in Wales or the west country (but not too far out), or the north, (but not too north.) Does anything at all ever happen in east anglia? All I've heard is that it's very flat. Where do you call home Herc?

(I have admittedly odd geographical taste. let's not even get into my weird fascination with Middlesbrough)

Really though, I'm that that fussed about where within the country I end up....first things first I need to find a way to get let in! It's a work in progress.

Quote: Davida @ 23rd September 2017, 11:40 AM

Are you trying to lure me to east anglia with your lack of natural disasters etc?

Kind of have my sites set on somewhere in Wales or the west country (but not too far out), or the north, (but not too north.) Does anything at all ever happen in east anglia? All I've heard is that it's very flat. Where do you call home Herc?

Very civilised is East Anglia.........................

I believe it was Noel Coward who said of Norfolk after he visited it "It was terribly, terribly flat", and yes Suffolk is very similar in that respect.

:O they all talk funny in Wales...............and in the north too, so don't go to those places.

Let's just say I live in East Suffolk. Gryff Rhys Jones lives south not far from me and Roy Hudd just north, and before retirement I worked for over 20 years in Constable Country. Speaking of which, painters that is - Gainsborough lived in West Suffolk and horse painter Sir Alfred Munnings lived in the east

Others you may have heard of :-

Ed Sheeran
Brian Eno - born in Woodbridge, where I once met him in his back garden!
Cradle of Filth - this extreme metal band hail from Suffolk
The Darkness - ditto
Carl Giles - famous cartoonist who had his office in Ipswich and who I met a couple of times. His cartoons are all over Suffolk in the pubs he used to frequent.
Bill Turnbull - retired news front man
Anthony Horowitz - author
Ronald Blythe - author
Twiggy - 60s icon
Eric Arthur Blair aka George Orwell (took his surname Orwell from the river that runs from Ipswich to the coast)
June Brown - actress
Ralph Fiennes - actor
Bill Nighy - actor
Ian Hendry - born in Ipswich
Claudia Schiffer - has a small mansion in West Suffolk
Delia Smith - celebrity chef
John Peel - god amongst Disc Jockeys
Cardinal Wolsey - 'Enry the Eighth and all that
Sir Peter Hall - born in West Suffolk, founded the RSC
Trevor Nunn - his mate, born in Ipswich
Bob Hoskins - born in West Suffolk
Benjamin Britten - founded the world famous Aldeburgh Festival with:-
Peter Peers
Christine Truman - retired tennis player
P.D. James - crime fiction writer

There's load more I cannot think of at the moment, and also............

Minsmere - the famous wildlife reserve. Acclaimed by the BBC's Springwatch prog. that is quite often filmed there.

We have the largest container port in UK - at Felixstowe.

Oh, and I live here. Cool

Edit: Dunno if I mentioned this before but it is a bloody lot quieter since the Yanks closed down the twin bases of the 81st Tactical Fighter Wing and took their jet planes home. :P

Sorry retroactively about the noise. I'll take the blame on that.

I'm not all that bothered about living somewhere where famous people came from. I do care about the people in the places. It'd be nice to live at least somewhat near one of my UK friends. They're kind of scattered about though. None really on the east side of things, just west country, londonish, wales, and the north. Oh and my Scottish boy toy is in Scotland, naturally. Can't forget about him. More than the people though I'm mostly interested in low cost of living, decent public transport, and a couple of nice venues that a touring comic might be likely to hit on a tour. I realise that could be any of like 30 cities. Which is totally fine. I'm not all that choosy. I have northern friends telling me not to live in the south because all southerners are posh twats, southern friends telling me to avoid the north because they'll steal my car and they mangle the English language, welsh friends saying wales is far suprioer to anywhere else inn the world, non-welsh people telling me wales is a useless chunk of land with a load of sheep shaggers etc. I think I can pretty well see past everyone's particular biases and pick up on the good points of a lot of different regions. If I end up in an area with some good points and a friend or two nearby, I'll be happy. Anything but London...or the middle of nowhere, because I don't plan on having a car.

Of course, since the world is ending today, none of these lovely plans will come into fruition. S'alright!

Far be it for me to try and sell EA on the grounds of celeb. etc. - I was just trying to show that it is not an area where only yokels live, which is the misconception and suits us fine I suppose as the north, south and west can all slag themselves off and leave us alone, quietly contented.

If I was going to live anywhere else, it would be south/west Ireland.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd September 2017, 3:18 PM

Very civilised is East Anglia.........................

I believe it was Noel Coward who said of Norfolk after he visited it "It was terribly, terribly flat", and yes Suffolk is very similar in that respect.

:O they all talk funny in Wales...............and in the north too, so don't go to those places.

Let's just say I live in East Suffolk. Gryff Rhys Jones lives south not far from me and Roy Hudd just north, and before retirement I worked for over 20 years in Constable Country. Speaking of which, painters that is - Gainsborough lived in West Suffolk and horse painter Sir Alfred Munnings lived in the east

Others you may have heard of :-

Ed Sheeran
Brian Eno - born in Woodbridge, where I once met him in his back garden!
Cradle of Filth - this extreme metal band hail from Suffolk
The Darkness - ditto
Carl Giles - famous cartoonist who had his office in Ipswich and who I met a couple of times. His cartoons are all over Suffolk in the pubs he used to frequent.
Bill Turnbull - retired news front man
Anthony Horowitz - author
Ronald Blythe - author
Twiggy - 60s icon
Eric Arthur Blair aka George Orwell (took his surname Orwell from the river that runs from Ipswich to the coast)
June Brown - actress
Ralph Fiennes - actor
Bill Nighy - actor
Ian Hendry - born in Ipswich
Claudia Schiffer - has a small mansion in West Suffolk
Delia Smith - celebrity chef
John Peel - god amongst Disc Jockeys
Cardinal Wolsey - 'Enry the Eighth and all that
Sir Peter Hall - born in West Suffolk, founded the RSC
Trevor Nunn - his mate, born in Ipswich
Bob Hoskins - born in West Suffolk
Benjamin Britten - founded the world famous Aldeburgh Festival with:-
Peter Peers
Christine Truman - retired tennis player
P.D. James - crime fiction writer

There's load more I cannot think of at the moment, and also............

Minsmere - the famous wildlife reserve. Acclaimed by the BBC's Springwatch prog. that is quite often filmed there.

We have the largest container port in UK - at Felixstowe.

Oh, and I live here. Cool

Edit: Dunno if I mentioned this before but it is a bloody lot quieter since the Yanks closed down the twin bases of the 81st Tactical Fighter Wing and took their jet planes home. :P

I was told June Brown lived in Coulsdon.

Her house was even pointed out to me.

The end of the world is nigh but that doesn't mean that deliberately misleading comments shouldn't be highlighted.

You forgot to mention Alan Partridge Herc, Aha!

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 23rd September 2017, 8:56 AM

The world is going to end today!

At times like this I always look to Eric, Hattie & Corky for inspiration. I'm off to the top of the local hill...