Quacks Page 2

I was very sad when I came to that realisation just before reading your post. For some reason I thought there was an S2 going on. I think I was thinking of Upstart Crow.

Bah!

Will there be more, do you think?

Very difficult to know. There's a lot of business and politics behind this one. At present the odds are not in its favour, but if the BBC want one enough then I'm sure there'd be a way of making it happen.

I watched one and wasn't really gripped. I don't know why but I was expecting a Father Ted vibe to it.

Bit better, but still smacks of drama with comedy overtones. I enjoy it! But don't think it is that funny.

I like a little drama in my comedy. Or maybe a little comedy in my genre. It seems a waste to get into classifying more dramatic comedies as non-comedies. I think those kinds of shows are perfectly valid comedic endeavors, just with drama and fewer gags per minute. I don't mind a show with a low gag rate if it's emotionally gripping, or has good drama, or compelling characters or good writing. I think Quacks has some of those things going for it. It's not a perfect show, but I did enjoy it.

Do you not like drama with comedy overtones Herc? A comedy purist? I like comedy-tinged drama, or comedy tinged horror, or artsy weirdness tinged with comedy. I'm still a bit of a comedy purist though, as I watch very little that isn't at least slated as a comedy show (at least for TV).

I'm not sure where it could go in an S2 that it hasn't already covered pretty well already though. The characters don't seem to be growing or arcing much. They're well established by the end of S1, but not sure they have anywhere else to go. Though if it does happen to work out that they get another series, I'll certainly watch it to find out.

Quote: Davida @ 20th September 2017, 5:06 AM

The characters don't seem to be growing or arcing much.

Good! The mark of all the best narrative comedies.

I think he was saying that there should be a narrative, either in the series or one show?

But even drama doesn't necessarily follow a narrative. Twin Peaks? Prisoner?

In other words I'm still confused as what narrative comedy actually is.

(Can I be hung next Tuesday? There's little chance of rain.)

Sitcom as against sketch? Dunno, I'm losing the will to live. :(