Newsjack 2017 Page 28

Quote: Mike X @ 20th September 2017, 6:38 PM

I only discovered Newsjack earlier this year so, for those who know it better, do they ever do risqué material at all? Obviously no swearing but would a topical joke that had vague sexy connotations or back referenced something like Princess Diana's death or 9/11 go straight in the bin? Thanks!

That is a very good question and I'd be hard pushed to think of any time they directly did a horrible tragedy . I can't imagine in the week it happened they'd want to joke about lots of people dying but I think they have done a sketch about the response to said things (e.g. last week think someone said there was a Trump press conference one about shooting hurricanes). And sadly when you start opening the tragedy door you get some pretty dark/offensive stuff sent in.

I think there is some scope for sexual stuff (robotic flaps springs to mind, but they often do) and historic stuff (once had a recorded but cut for a 9/10 anniversary sketch) but of course remembering some boundaries of decency and good taste.

As a guide does anyone remember David Baddiel's Don't Make Me Laugh controversy? Someone deemed it okay to air at programme at 6:30pm (there's no watershed on radio) about the Queen's sex-life but the subsequent outcry meant the show got bumped to 11pm slot the next week. Somewhere close to that show is clearly the limit!

It's odd that there's no swearing really, bearing in mind how late it's broadcast.

There was the "cock-up" joke last week.

And this fellow, https://garryabbott.com/2014/04/16/newsjack-series-ten-critique-with-bonus-jokes/ , got the following one-liner onto Newsjack: (I hope he doesn't mind me reposting his joke)

"Michael Jackson to release a new album in May, proving it really doesn't matter if you're black or white... or dead."

So you're allowed to be somewhat risqué. Don't go crazy though.

Quote: TheKingLobotomy @ 20th September 2017, 10:35 PM

The Teresa May Boris Johnson one could be mine. Did it involve Boris offering the PM a biscuit then eating them all like Cookie monster?

I don't recall that specifically in the sketch - sorry!

Quote: Thosisd @ 21st September 2017, 7:23 AM

Thanks for posting. How was the episode in general? Seen mixed reviews for last week but personally enjoyed it.

In my honest opinion, last week's was funnier. Of course, this isn't to put down anyone who got material on! My real issue was with Angela's monologue. I'll be interested to see what made the cut... The sketches and one-liners were, on the whole, good!

Does Angela write her own gags in the monologue or are those submitted?

Quote: TheKingLobotomy @ 21st September 2017, 9:37 AM

Does Angela write her own gags in the monologue or are those submitted?

As far as I understand it, Angela writes her own monologue. That way the show acts as a proving ground for talent so they can move on to other things - see Spotlight Tonight with Nish Kumar. I know that she has put jokes from her stand up material into past monologues.

Any other recorded sketches come to mind?

(Yes, still trying to hold out hope)

Quote: StephenM @ 21st September 2017, 8:47 AM

As a guide does anyone remember David Baddiel's Don't Make Me Laugh controversy? Someone deemed it okay to air at programme at 6:30pm (there's no watershed on radio) about the Queen's sex-life but the subsequent outcry meant the show got bumped to 11pm slot the next week. Somewhere close to that show is clearly the limit!

I know this is a point that's been made many times before, but the controversy you're referring to reiterates just how cautious the BBC is with its comedy shows now, and how remarkable it was when Frankie Boyle got away with so much on MTW.

Quote: Damian B @ 21st September 2017, 11:52 AM

I know this is a point that's been made many times before, but the controversy you're referring to reiterates just how cautious the BBC is with its comedy shows now, and how remarkable it was when Frankie Boyle got away with so much on MTW.

Yes I think the BBC is always going to get judged more severely in the tabloids than any other broadcaster. So always got to bear that in mind before you send in your Princess Di joins ISIS sketches.

Quote: StephenM @ 21st September 2017, 12:14 PM

Yes I think the BBC is always going to get judged more severely in the tabloids than any other broadcaster. So always got to bear that in mind before you send in your Princess Di joins ISIS sketches.

Noted!

* Draws line through entire sketch

talking about swearing wasn't the C*** word used last week during the Guardian sketch?

when do you receive the email to tell you your sketch / one liners are being used?

Between 5.30 and 6, I think...erm I didn't hear that!!

Quote: tigerbailey @ 21st September 2017, 1:15 PM

talking about swearing wasn't the C*** word used last week during the Guardian sketch?

So it wasn't just me then!?

Whenever I see the word "aunt", I can't help but wonder if it's a typo ...

My old business partner, a solicitor, tells an old joke which he claimed was true. About thirty years ago he was acting for a wife in a divorce case, in the days when you had to go to the Magistrates and prove the grounds of the divorce.

My colleague was a trainee at the time. His colleague was asking his client, the woman, the grounds for the unreasonable behaviour. She said, " he called me the C word". So the solicitor asked if she could say the word in court, she refused as it was too rude to say and she was clearly embarrassed and flustered to say the word. The solicitor said not to worry the judge has heard all manner of words in this court but he needs to hear what was said. She refused becoming more flustered. So the solicitor said don't worry just say yes or no, did he call you a C**t? With which she yelled, no he called me a cow, burst into tears and ran out of court.

A true story so he says.

Perhaps that's a sketch for some of you!

best wishes Stuart

Just got the "didn't make the edit" e-mail