Comedy Stage Plays

I think this needs its own general thread.

I put the following post under its own title but nobody responded as they probably had no idea what it was about.

Raising Martha

I've just booked to see Raising Martha at the Park Theatre, Finsbury Park on Saturday 14th January..

Quite a strong cast although Morgana was originally supposed to be in it.

Starring Tom Bennett (Netflix's Mascots, E4's Phone Shop); Julian Bleach (Doctor Who & best known for creating the role of MC in Shockheaded Peter); Jasper Britton (Richard II, RSC, The Libertine; Theatre Royal Haymarket); Joel Fry (ITV's Plebs, HBO's Game of Thrones, Sky's You, Me and the Apocalypse); Gwyneth Keyworth (E4's Misfits, BBC's The Great Outdoors); Jeff Rawle (Channel 4's Drop the Dead Donkey, Handbagged; Tricycle / West End, Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire).

It's an interesting little theatre. Only 3 rows of seats around the stage in a semi-circle as I recall. I went to see "The Patriotic Traitor" there last year (about de Gaulle's relationship with Petain) with Tom Conti & Laurence Fox.

Farces are just the best.

Went to see Raising Martha last night.

A black comedy about about a frog farm and digging up dead bodies.

A great evening. Jeff Rawle (Drop the Dead Donkey, Doc Martin) was great. I didn't even realise it was him until afterwards. Also featured Tom Bennett (Phone Shop) - great timing - and Joel Fry (Plebs).

I don't know if this one was particularly special, Chappers, just because it was in your locale. Perhaps it will go on a nationwide tour, be made into a film, who knows?

It's advertised as a World Premier.

https://www.parktheatre.co.uk/whats-on/raising-martha

Why are you advertising its premiere if it's already happened? The show I'd understand.

The Premier lasts a month!

Forgot I'd started this thread.

Anyway I mentioned "Twitstorm" on another thread and I'd really recommmend it.

I've been going to the Park Theatre in Finsbury Park a few times recently. This is in the 200 seat theatre so everything is up close. Looks like it's on until 1st July so if you can go and see it.

https://www.parktheatre.co.uk/whats-on

I think the next one I'll go to see is Rabbits which is in the smaller 90 seat theatre there.

Just a poncy general note about comedy plays being an often overlooked route into comedy writing. But getting much harder to break into now as it's gone the way of TV commissions - given only to known writers and increasingly to stand up comics who usually prove their lack of technical writing ability and understanding.
Last and possibly best straight comedy play I saw was the one hander Jeffery Barnard Is Unwell played by O'Toole but I often preferred seeing the darker, menacing comedy dramas of Pinter especially. Dramatic tension as highly strung as you can get and the humour dark and mean, superb theatre experiences.

It's pretty interesting theater guys.

Off to see "Loot" at the aforementioned Park Theatre later this week.

I've been in 2 minds about going to see this. Let us know how good it is. How long is it on?

It's been on from 17 August and finishes next Sunday (24September) but it all sold out long ago I'm afraid.

Quote: Chappers @ 20th September 2017, 12:02 AM

I've been in 2 minds about going to see this. Let us know how good it is. How long is it on?

I enjoyed it. I always think farce-like comedies work far better on stage than they do on film. No unnecessary close-ups and more left to the imagination. The actor who played Truscott, the Police Inspector who pretends he is from the water board, did, I thought, play the role suitably manically. It is hard to imagine Kenneth Williams in that role, as he was originally. And I love the intimacy of the theatre (and the courgette & lime cake partaken at the cafe by the lake in Finsbury Park itself before the show)