Newsjack 2017 Page 25

We've started a "NEWSJACK REJECTS" thread in the CRITIQUE section for your fun and enjoyment, to keep them all in the same place - feel free to post and comment on there to cheer up us plucky losers!

Quote: Bonzo @ 13th September 2017, 9:34 PM

Hi all

I was at tonight's recording. It was a really great show :)

I'm putting below all the sketches I can remember- I'll update as I remember more:

Trump holds press conference re Irma

School tries to persuade parent of student who fails AS's to leave

Stealth drinking

Jacob Reece Mog changes a nappy

Murdoch takes over everything

Theresa May writes to Santa

Catios- cat rents out a room (this was hysterical)

Corbyn can't decide what he wants at a restaurant

John Lewis unisex kids clothes / dinosaurs

MORE

Clowns / woman with phobia

L'Oreal advert

Hi Bonzo, just out of curiosity, was the Theresa May letter to Santa sketch at the recording a conversation between Father Christmas and the elves? With a mix-up by the postman as the punchline? I didn't receive a 'nearly but not quite' email so I'm guessing someone else must have written a similar (and undoubtedly better) sketch.

Quote: Stobbart42 @ 15th September 2017, 3:14 AM

Good episode overall. I loved the final Theresa May number cruncher. Glad they saved that til last.

Couldn't help notice Angela totally recycled the 'it's their own time their wasting' teacher joke which is used as an example on the actual submissions guidelines page. Was that a terrible oversight or was it supposed to just be some kind of reference, a nod to submitters?

On this subject, did any one else notice that the 'stealth drinking' sketch was almost identical to the Geordie shore sober sketch from last series. Also the dinosaur sketch shared the same dna as that sexism in space from a little while back. I remember something similar happening last series where a 'new' sketch was a rip off of an old sketch.

Quote: XmasBrickbat @ 15th September 2017, 12:09 PM

Hi Bonzo, just out of curiosity, was the Theresa May letter to Santa sketch at the recording a conversation between Father Christmas and the elves? With a mix-up by the postman as the punchline? I didn't receive a 'nearly but not quite' email so I'm guessing someone else must have written a similar (and undoubtedly better) sketch.

Hi - no, it was Theresa writing to Santa - she read out her letter I in a monologue, then Santa replied. :)

Anyone who was at the recording - how well did the number cruncher of 20 clowns turning up to protest IT but them only needing one car go down on the night please?

That's the one that got cut, which I had high hopes for.

Well done to all those who got something on, and if you get something recorded that's also a great achievement.

I loved the Jacob Rees-Mogg and Clown sketches which I think were written by people on here so well done for that! And if anyone claims credit for the Farage / Make a Wish or the Impersonating a Police Office gags then I doff my cap to you also.

2 Sketches just sent this morning!

Good luck to everyone submitting!

J x

I see the whole Ryanair thing went big, oh and not forgetting the Big Boris promise. good luck to everyone for this week. I've sent in a flurry of onesies and a 'meh'-ish sketch...it's the hope that's the killer :)

I usually send one-liners but had a go at a sketch this week. How do you guys do it? It's tough! Eventually sent in my effort at 11.55am but not holding out any hope for it. An interesting learning experience I guess!

Quote: Mike X @ 18th September 2017, 3:21 PM

I usually send one-liners but had a go at a sketch this week.

Same here. Mine was about Ryanair and I'm thinking many submissions this week are too!

Theresa May driving the Brexit car and the Queen's World War 3 speech from me.

Mine was about new weapons being developed by North Korea - ripe comic territory!

Ah 'brexit car' sounds like a great idea!

Warning to Hotmail/Outlook users: There have been issues with the servers today meaning that some messages didn't send and went to Draft folders instead (happened to me, but thankfully not the sketches e-mail). I'd suggesting checking your Sent/Draft folders and resending with an explanation if they didn't get through. And maybe send one-liners from an alternate address, as I'm not sure if the issue is fixed yet.

EDIT: Newsjack are aware of the issue: https://twitter.com/NewsjackBBC/status/909729069197070336

I only sent three one-liners. I just can't make numbers funny, man.