Static

This Rob Beckett sitcom pilot was by far my favourite of this year's Comedy Playhouses.

Some delightfully obvious jokes as well as some more surprising. Great to see a new studio sitcom on screen, and a fantastic cast bringing it all to life. Lots of potential in the premise and setting. I'm definitely hoping for a full series.

Quote: Aaron @ 16th September 2017, 12:21 PM

This Rob Beckett sitcom pilot was by far my favourite of this year's Comedy Playhouses.

Some delightfully obvious jokes as well as some more surprising. Great to see a new studio sitcom on screen, and a fantastic cast bringing it all to life. Lots of potential in the premise and setting. I'm definitely hoping for a full series.

Really? I thought all three of this year's pilots were disappointing. I like Rob Beckett but I don't think this should go to a full series.

Admittedly I did enjoy the recurring pear/apple joke, and it's always nice to see Phil Davis onscreen. I'd personally put the Tim Vine one first, this next and then Mister Winner well, well below. Haven't seen The Other One yet though.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 17th September 2017, 3:08 PM

it's always nice to see Phil Davis onscreen.

Absolutely top cast in Static. He and Steadman were a treat. Would definitely love to see more of them together.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 17th September 2017, 3:08 PM

Haven't seen The Other One yet though.

That's not a Comedy Playhouse - that's New On Two.

Quote: Aaron @ 16th September 2017, 12:21 PM

OI!!! Just cos you're a mod - my thread was an hour earlier than yours AND I was continuing the theme of it being one from the series of three Comedy Playhouse.

And you're wrong anyway - the Tim Vine one was by far the best. This was just amateurish.

And now I find you've locked my EARLIER PROPER thread - Bloody cheek!!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th September 2017, 4:08 PM

OI!!! Just cos you're a mod - my thread was an hour earlier than yours AND I was continuing the theme of it being one from the series of three Comedy Playhouse.

And you're wrong anyway - the Tim Vine one was by far the best. This was just amateurish.

And now I find you've locked my EARLIER PROPER thread - Bloody cheek!!

I think you'll find that 12:21pm is earlier than 11:21pm.

Mutter, mutter...................I must get a little hand put on this watch

This was great fun. A bit of a throwback of a sitcom and all the better for it. Rob Beckett's style of delivery is very 70s (and that's a compliment).

I quite enjoyed it. Touches on Not Going Out with lots of gags shoe-horned in. I remember seeing the "Entertainer" as a really evil bent copper in a recent TV series. I can't remember the name though.

Quote: Chappers @ 17th September 2017, 11:00 PM

I quite enjoyed it. Touches on Not Going Out with lots of gags shoe-horned in. I remember seeing the "Entertainer" as a really evil bent copper in a recent TV series. I can't remember the name though.

Line of Duty. Pure evil.

Quote: zooo @ 18th September 2017, 10:38 AM

Line of Duty. Pure evil.

Definitely. But then at the end he did a good thing!

Quote: G180e @ 16th September 2017, 1:49 PM

Really? I thought all three of this year's pilots were disappointing. I like Rob Beckett but I don't think this should go to a full series.

Indeed - it truly terrible with the gags signposted!

All three have been awful.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ 21st September 2017, 12:34 PM

All three have been awful.

For once we fully agree.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st September 2017, 3:17 PM

For once we fully agree.

I thought you liked the Tim Vine one.