Only Fools and Horses Documentary series Page 2

Well, if it's good enough for Ade Edmondson re The Good Life...
OFAH just never tickles my funny parts. I've seen a few episodes and it just doesn't work for me. The characters are one-dimensional and never earn my sympathy, the plots are predictable, and on the rare occasions I do laugh it's such obvious, throwaway, forgettable humour. I'm Alan Partridge and The Young Ones are great because there's a lot going on - OFAH you can watch once at most. I'd seen the Cash episode of The Young Ones to the point I thought I'd exhausted it; then I saw the newspaper caption (Join the army, you get a gun, there's money in it - not the gun). I know that isn't the best line ever, but this was way before DVDs and a lovely touch. Like the bit when Rik's talking and he opens the fridge door to warm his hands - it genuinely didn't sink in at first. OFAH is bland, mediocre and slow-paced and I'm amazed people like it so much. Mind you, so what? The Sun outsells the The Bell Jar. A lot of it's just hype - tell enough people something's awesome and they'll believe it. It's like when everyone said Scarlett Johansson was the sexiest woman alive - presumably they'd met every woman alive and still had the energy to comment. It's the typical Beatles syndrome: Do you think the Beatles were the best band ever? - Well, duh! - So what's your favourite Beatles album? - What the f**k do I know? Ancient history. (Oh, and to me the phrase 'Paki shop' is more obnoxious than the c-word, unless it's Garnett parody. Then there were those AWESOME catchphrases. Yes, catchphrases. Rodney you plonker... Wotcher Dave... Genius.)
Blackadder? Boy, is it contrived. We're stuck in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck in a sticky bun. I really can't sit through it. Best of all, it got rererererererepeated TO DEATH- even now, that long-winter-nights line appears on threads and FB... Oh, and who bought that crap about 'Sensitively handling the war?' Oh yeah...
What should we do if we step on a mine? - The normal procedure is leap into the air etc.
(Firing squad) We AIM to PLEASE, ha ha... I'm a gabbler Sir - READYAIMFIRE etc etc.
The subtle tastefulness of Andrew Dice Clay (who I don't actually hate. There, something I like). And don't fall for that ''''''moving'''''' finale: how else could they have ended it? 'Ah, Baldrick, you just got shot quicker than etc etc'? This is namby-pamby do-gooder Ben Elton at his patronising worst.

I can understand why the show's shunned by those that could be called comedy 'aficionados'; it's been butchered for clip shows and in some ways, sadly seen as 'that populist sitcom about the man falling through the bar' - however it's the throwaway, seldom remembered moments that are its heart!

My initial point though (pre-tangent), is the 'Story of...' documentaries have some great unseen footage. Once again, much of it is relayed anecdotes heard before, but it has a few moments for true fans!

I've a real soft spot for it, pre-1997 episodes. As a young lad who had lost his Mum, OF&H was a true beacon! There was no other comedy that could have gotten me through it.

I do get why some folk have no time for it though!

Quote: WarmWasp @ 16th September 2017, 3:50 AM

I can understand why the show's shunned by those that could be called comedy 'aficionados'

I don't think it has at all. It's just the odd individual viewer.

I've been really enjoying this new series so far, I think it's lovely to hear Nicholas Lyndhurst and David Jason and other members share their thoughts on this brilliant show. The outtakes and unseen footage is also great to see.

My sentiments exactly! Though I find it such a shame, that all the outtakes featured (and no doubt many others) were never included on the DVD releases!

It's well known that all DVD releases are butchered edits; relevant scenes cut and music changes (forgivable copyright reasons), however the fans are screwed over because of this, so they could have at least compensated with some special feature inclusions

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 7th September 2017, 2:35 PM

Well, if it's good enough for Ade Edmondson re The Good Life...
OFAH just never tickles my funny parts. I've seen a few episodes and it just doesn't work for me. The characters are one-dimensional and never earn my sympathy, the plots are predictable, and on the rare occasions I do laugh it's such obvious, throwaway, forgettable humour. I'm Alan Partridge and The Young Ones are great because there's a lot going on - OFAH you can watch once at most. I'd seen the Cash episode of The Young Ones to the point I thought I'd exhausted it; then I saw the newspaper caption (Join the army, you get a gun, there's money in it - not the gun). I know that isn't the best line ever, but this was way before DVDs and a lovely touch. Like the bit when Rik's talking and he opens the fridge door to warm his hands - it genuinely didn't sink in at first. OFAH is bland, mediocre and slow-paced and I'm amazed people like it so much. Mind you, so what? The Sun outsells the The Bell Jar. A lot of it's just hype - tell enough people something's awesome and they'll believe it. It's like when everyone said Scarlett Johansson was the sexiest woman alive - presumably they'd met every woman alive and still had the energy to comment. It's the typical Beatles syndrome: Do you think the Beatles were the best band ever? - Well, duh! - So what's your favourite Beatles album? - What the f**k do I know? Ancient history. (Oh, and to me the phrase 'Paki shop' is more obnoxious than the c-word, unless it's Garnett parody. Then there were those AWESOME catchphrases. Yes, catchphrases. Rodney you plonker... Wotcher Dave... Genius.)
Blackadder? Boy, is it contrived. We're stuck in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck in a sticky bun. I really can't sit through it. Best of all, it got rererererererepeated TO DEATH- even now, that long-winter-nights line appears on threads and FB... Oh, and who bought that crap about 'Sensitively handling the war?' Oh yeah...
What should we do if we step on a mine? - The normal procedure is leap into the air etc.
(Firing squad) We AIM to PLEASE, ha ha... I'm a gabbler Sir - READYAIMFIRE etc etc.
The subtle tastefulness of Andrew Dice Clay (who I don't actually hate. There, something I like). And don't fall for that ''''''moving'''''' finale: how else could they have ended it? 'Ah, Baldrick, you just got shot quicker than etc etc'? This is namby-pamby do-gooder Ben Elton at his patronising worst.

Do you know what I really hate? Your lack of paragraphs.

Now listen, everyone is entitled to their opinion but yours borderlines on trolling. I think you've made your points crystal clear. You are wrong of course.

To call the most popular and cleverly written British sitcom things like 'one dimensional' with storylines that are 'predictable' is just sheer ignorant to the facts.

OFAH has broken all sorts of viewing records. John Sullivan created not only exceptional and lovable main characters, but also some hilarious outside ones.

He wrote about what happens to real people in real life. He mixed death, abortions, glimmers of violence (Driscoll Brothers etc) with touching and poignant moments and above all - gag after gag after one liner.

You don't have to like OFAH but to say you 'hate, hate, hate' something without ever really giving it a proper chance and to ignore the fact that many, many people of all generations love the show, is over the top.

That isn't a fluke, pal. Only Fools and Horses as AT LEAST statistically the greatest of them all.

You seem a tad odd to me.

There are greater storylines though, Tommy? But it all comes to down to whether you like pie and chips or whether you like steak and petit pois? Seinfeld may have the style for instance but people don't go in for it so much.

John Sullivan definitely reworked old music hall jokes - a lot. Trigger's broom and handle being an example.
But it never mattered as they were always superbly acted and weaved into the narrative perfectly.

This has been a fantastic series, loved watching the rarely seen footage and great to see the cast's thoughts on them. I know Gold have stated on Twitter that this is unlikely to get a DVD release but it should do as there are loads of people who don't have Gold who would love to see it. There's a few work colleagues of mine who'd love to see it but don't have Gold. Somebody has been doing them copies of each episode, I can't think who?

Also Aaron, why does the Guide still state this as being a five-part documentary when it is in fact six parts?

Quote: G180e @ 27th September 2017, 10:06 PM

Also Aaron, why does the Guide still state this as being a five-part documentary when it is in fact six parts?

Hadn't noticed that. That was how they originally announced it. I will update. Thanks for pointing it out.

It's not possible or justified to accuse an episodic show of having one-dimensional characters, unless you've seen at least four-six episodes. Where one narrative might showcase a particular character, the next might barely have them in the script.

In that, comedy characters are fleshed out over time, with single lines sometimes greatly affecting the audience perception. Unless it's a singular plot - like a film or a TV play -, comedy characters generally have many different plots that excentuate many different characteristics.

I agree that there's a consistent identity to characters like Del-Boy, however as others have mentioned, there's certain episodes that REALLY flesh out that base perception.

It's often secondary representation and memorabilia that pushes that one-dimension; where complex creations are reduced to catchphrases and stock costumes. My recommendation is NEVER base an opinion on these shitty, tacky artefacts. They don't do the writing justice!

Are you suggesting that I watch every episode of EastEnders to see if I like it or not?

I don't know. It's the plots I think that are slightly predictable, not the characters. The characters are wonderful. It seems that all episodes don't follow the Bechdel Test, we just don't follow the female members of the cast at all. Maybe that was a thing of its time.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 27th September 2017, 7:33 AM

There are greater storylines though, Tommy? But it all comes to down to whether you like pie and chips or whether you like steak and petit pois? Seinfeld may have the style for instance but people don't go in for it so much.

I get the analogy, but OFAH is regarded as the steak and petit pois in terms of quality I think.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 28th September 2017, 8:58 AM

Are you suggesting that I watch every episode of EastEnders to see if I like it or not?

I don't know. It's the plots I think that are slightly predictable, not the characters. The characters are wonderful. It seems that all episodes don't follow the Bechdel Test, we just don't follow the female members of the cast at all. Maybe that was a thing of its time.

It was always about the wheeling and dealing of the brothers - but the female characters certainly did have some storylines such as Casandra's miscarriage, Raquel's awkward first date with Del!

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 27th September 2017, 8:09 AM

John Sullivan definitely reworked old music hall jokes - a lot. Trigger's broom and handle being an example.
But it never mattered as they were always superbly acted and weaved into the narrative perfectly.

What was the broom/handle joke that Sullivan effectively nicked then?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 27th September 2017, 7:33 AM

Greater storylines as in, compared to other sitcoms out there?

It's a situation comedy at the end of the day.

I can't think of many greater storylines than Del's sacrifice made to his brother in Little Problems, the blow-up dolls in Danger UXD, tap water 'Spring' bottles in Mother Nature's Son episode and Del and Rodney's desperate hunt for their late mother's, lover's gold bullion in The Frog's Legacy - to name a few.

Perfection in my books.

If you want great storylines, then you ought to watch a film I suppose.

OFAH is such a broad church sitcom with different people loving different things about it, because it evolved into a family based sitcom in the last few years. Personally that's when I switched off because I didn't want to know about the clingy mumsy Raquel or the miserable stone faced whinging Cassandra. When he introduced these women it killed it for me. I'd have stuck with the great Marlene and just kept bringing guest women characters in as per the early to mid series which worked really well imo. When the two women characters moved in the sitcom lost its get up and go.

Quote: Aaron @ 27th September 2017, 10:10 PM

Hadn't noticed that. That was how they originally announced it. I will update. Thanks for pointing it out.

The way they finished the episode it seemed as though it was meant to be the last one
They might have cobbled together another ep with stuff that was left over