A Sharp Intake Of Breath

I recently watched the first episode of this sitcom, but that is all I have seen of it. Has anyone seen more of it, and what did you think?

Based on only the first episode I would say it was good and somewhat promising.

To begin with I thought the writing was weak. But then there were times when the writing was very funny. At the end I considered that some of the weaker writing might be a deliberate style that might be justifiable - but I'd have to see more episodes to decide. The kind of thing I'm meaning is the receptionist asking for his address and he replies saying he doesn't know the doctors address. Then straight afterwards they do a very similar joke. A reasonably intelligent man doesn't make these kinds of mistakes. You get some David Jason slapstick too - something that reminded my of his Get Smart style sitcom. It was okay.

The scene in the doctor's surgery with Richard Wilson was very funny. And the epsode ended with chaos and slapstick continuing in a rather pantomime and forced manner as was characteristic of a number of 70s sitcoms.

The first episode seemed rather similar to Reginald Perin. The situation with the doctor was much the same with some similar lines.

Another odd characteristic of the show was how Jason turned to the camera and spoke to the viewers occasionally. I found this worked okay.

Overall I'd give the first episode 7.5 out of 10.

Is this now available on DVD?

I heard that David Jason might have said that he didn't want it to be repeated on TV. Shame. As a teenager, I thought it was hilarious.

Two episodes spring to mind - one in an A and E Department and another in which he tried to get his car repaired.

A similar comedy series about jobsworths would be good in this age of Health and Safety.

I've started watching the first series of this recently. I don't really know what to make of it so far. It's not elicited many laugh, but it's got this really strange feel to it that I can't quite put my finger on. At first it appears to be a fairly middle aged, middle class sitcom but then it begins to morph into this rant against the pettiness of the modern world. I'll carry on watching it, but I think I can see why David Jason doesn't want it released. His performance in it certainly isn't any great shakes and his 'posh' accent in it seems to slip every now and then.

Complete series DVD release scheduled for May 2015. Hooray! :)

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/item/4302/a_sharp_intake_of_breath_the_complete_series_dvd/

Following Lucky Feller and The Top Secret Life Of Edgar Briggs, it's great to see another old David Jason title released.

This didn't ring any bells at all; despite me being 12 at the time of the fourth - and final - series. Perhaps it wasnt shown in the Anglia region? Not particularly funny with the gags being sign posted well in advance!