Dangerous fake email scams Page 25

He, he, he!

Quote: dyham @ 30th May 2017, 9:48 AM

If haveibeenpwned indicates your email was compromised due to a third party leak, you're almost certainly right to assume its not an issue with your computer. Keylogging normally requires the installation of software or firmware on your computer - so, a trojan or spyware. Malwarebytes is a good program and should flag up these sorts of infections, so you should be totally fine. Plus, you would normally have to have opened an attachment or clicked on a link to be infected with keylogging malware, which I assume you haven't done! 1&1 have some good information on this sort of thing on their blog - they mainly provide email services for businesses, so it's in their interests to know what they're talking about when it comes to security...! Have a look at the "What to do if your e-mail has been hacked" section in this post: https://www.1and1.co.uk/digitalguide/e-mail/e-mail-security/e-mail-account-hacked-what-now/ If you're still concerned that your malware scanning could have missed something, they recommend Kaspersky and Bitdefender, who apparently offer free scans - worth double checking to be on the safe side.

Do you use two-factor authentication for your accounts by the way? It's a really good way of protecting yourself from third party data leaks in the future. That way it's much harder for hackers to access your account even if they have your address and password.

Hope that helps!

Sorry dyham, i missed this post. Thanks for your reply. Luckily I have not experienced any data leakage issues. If my password/email has been published it might well have been an old one. I don't currently use two-factor authentication but will look a it as well as checking haveibeenpawned regularly.

Thanks again.

Quote: Will Cam @ 20th June 2017, 9:40 PM

Go for it, sounds good.

Yes, listen to Will, Chappers - probably a great investment and you could finish up King of some part of East Africa.

Yes. I know who my friends are. Will and Hercule have got my interests at heart!

Ра?'?'Ð al : U?'€dаtе Уоur A?'?'Ð¾unt

PayPal secure
Warning! Your Account Was Limited!

Hi Custmer,

Your account has been limited temporarily in order to protect it. The account will continue to be limited until it is approved. Once you have updated your account records, your information will be confirmed and your account will start to work as normal once again. The process does not take more than 5 minutes. Once connected, follow the steps to activate your account. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure security.

1 Click on the Button Below
2Log In Enter email and password
3 Verify Your Informations To Activate Your Account

I think the clue was Hi Custmer, after the email title DOH!

Why are these criminals so illiterate?

I never used to believe it but now I give it more credence...

They mis-spell on purpose to weed out the intelligent receivers of the email.

They only want dumb 'un's to reply......... more chance of scamming them

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st August 2017, 8:42 AM

Oh, 'cos I had three of the same all together and the first one I told to "FUCK OFF" :(

Tempting I know but I read that if you reply they know it's an active attended email address. :(

Seeing as it's a scam thread - and you just reminded me, I told a telephone cold caller to f**k off yesterday.

There is a company misleading you into thinking they are Virgin Media.
They call you from an 0800 number and mumble who they are but clearly say Virgin Media.
They offer you 6 months free Sky Sports and a free upgraded box, Ultra HD and all that.

When I asked who they were - they said 'associates of Virgin Media'
so NOT Virgin Media... they even asked me to confirm who I was... so I asked them what their name and address was.

I looked the number up on 'who calls me on' and it's even more dirty than I presumed.
They are a legitimate company selling Virgin Media contracts.
If you accept the free offer they get commision from Virgin and you are locked into a new contract with a full expensive package. (I presume delayed for 6 months)
It's all above the law, however - they wait until the cool off period has expired before they contact Virgin.

Dirty dirty.

I said no thanks to the first call - but they called again and got my short retort.

I got an email saying they had nude photos of people I know.

Hercules...I'm shocked!!

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 1st August 2017, 10:25 AM

I got an email saying they had nude photos of people I know.

Hercules...I'm shocked!!

Move along now.............nothing to see here.

My first thoughts on looking at the photos... Sick

How could anyone know who I knew, in any case?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st August 2017, 8:42 AM

Credence? Ha ha!

"Hello ,

I am specifically contacting you in respect of a business proposal that I have for you as you appear very relevant in the proposal.

Please kindly reply back to me for further details.

Waiting to hear from you.

Regards,

Mr.Adams Salem"

Why on earth would anyone contact me for a business proposal? I'm a born failure!

The inherent tautology of this thread's title is mildly irksome. It's a double-negative. A fake scam = legit? If only people would label things properly. "Email Scams" sufficient.