Back - Series 1

Quite enjoyable as I am a fan of Mitchell, but not of Webb, and never watched Peep Show, was it?

Lot of swearing, which I'm not bothered about but always wonder if that is to "jolly along" the unfunny bits and it is the silly touches I liked. Like him getting locked out of the house whilst clearing the dishwasher and had no choice (?) but to take the full cutlery basket he had in his hand to the pub - seen that sort of gag before in early British B&W films, so nothing new there but still makes me laugh.

Is the dog a one off or will the "pretty lady" feature again?

Really liked this, especially as I watched it after that Mister Winner abomination. Nice character work and I laughed solidly throughout, I had confidence as soon as I saw Simon Blackwell was the writer.

I was wary that I might have too high expectations as I am a fan of Mitchell and Webb as a duo and as individuals. However this first episode drew out a few actual out loud laughs which were a surprise for the people on the train on Thursday morning when I managed to watch it.
I am not sure I mind some of the jokes being expected, or of old, as the classics are called such for a reason. It only becomes wearing, to me, when that is all there is.
I await episode two with hope that this might be something good than runs for a good while.

Happy - and slightly relieved - to report it made me laugh and will defo watch future episodes. Mitchell and Webb a tad like their Peep Show characters but nowt wrong with that, plus a strong supporting cast of wacky characters.

Second episode - brilliant and feel it is now getting in its stride. Mitchell was superb, as quite often I feel like that, i.e. everyone around me are f**king idiots. Very funny and laughed a lot, especially over the caravan.

Just watched 1 & 2. Very enjoyable, some lovely lines, and instant clear characterisation, from the first scenes. Some good stand alone gags too, even if you could see the sutures where they were stuck in from the writer's notebook ("It has 4 stages"). Good cast too.

It's just the right sort of unbelievable too. For example, the Motherland pilot was built an unbelievable plot point about people being hungry, and all I could think was, a) surely you could find some time to get some food, or b) just put up with it, you're a grown-up, we've all missed some meals. This spoilt the episode.

In Back, it's clearly madness that David takes the dog in the cafe, but although you and I probably wouldn't do it, it fits perfectly with the character. Within the character-driven world of the sit com, it makes sense.

So, yes, looking forward to ep 3 now. great to see M&W in something worthy again, after not managing to get to the end of that Ambassadors thing.

Having said that, I don't really buy the idea that a caravan is too small to rent out. Caravans are by their nature small, and people use them all the time. So are tents. They don't mind - if anything, it's part of the appeal for some people. I suspect the business could make some decent income from a handful of those in the back of the pub.

Of course, it's quite funny that it's not really a static caravan, but a touring caravan that happens to be motionless.

Still holding my attention and making me laugh, but my only reservation (and I am no prude by any means!!) is I think the swearing is a bit over the top and unnecessary. Love it when the two of them view the same contrasting scene from the past.

When is that f**king woman coming back for her f**king dog? She was quite tasty. Lovey ( Her of course, not the dog)

I just downloaded the first 3 episodes based upon your positive reviews. I'm only a few minutes in, but I was disappointed to see a Coors Light tap in the pub next to the handpumps. Sorry about that.

The craft beer explosion in the United States and the resulting fight for shelf space has caused British beer to essentially disappear from our shelves. It's been ages since I've seen London Pride or Old Speckled Hen on the supermarket shelves and they used to be ubiquitous.

Anyway, I'm about 10 minutes in and I think I'll really enjoy this show. Thanks for the heads up!

Just about keeping me interested, thanks mostly to Mitchell.

Quote: DaButt @ 22nd September 2017, 12:04 AM

The craft beer explosion in the United States and the resulting fight for shelf space has caused British beer to essentially disappear from our shelves. It's been ages since I've seen London Pride or Old Speckled Hen on the supermarket shelves and they used to be ubiquitous.

It's probably not going to make you feel better to learn that I can easily find both of those locally in the rural upper-Midwest of the U.S.A. But, hey, now you know where it all went, maybe!

Also, fantastic show. Does anyone know the name of the actor who played the LSD-dealer in the pub, in episode four? Can't find him in any cast lists. but I know I've seen him in something.

Quote: LepusRex @ 28th September 2017, 3:45 PM

Does anyone know the name of the actor who played the LSD-dealer in the pub, in episode four? Can't find him in any cast lists. but I know I've seen him in something.

He's not credited in the show. Looks quite like Liam Williams, who you're perhaps thinking of. I'm pretty sure it's not actually him though.

I suppose ep 4 was in some ways the best, but in my mind it was also the least satisfying. Whilst I liked the scenario, I found the "did I kill him?" plot came out of nowhere, and didn't really fit DM's character, and I found the wine lady a bit unconvincing (will she ever turn up again). Plus, I wasn't really convinced by the tripping sub-plot.

Also, I've only just realised they don't live in the pub. There's your business and money troubles sorted guys: sell the giant house, and live in all those presumably empty rooms in the giant pub. I mean, not now it's burnt down, but years ago.

Some good stuff in ep 4, but it was an episode in a modern sit com, with character arcs and long plots and developments, whereas I like the old school approach of weekly resets and limited locations.

Really enjoyed this week's, especially from Mitchell whose paranoia is becoming hysterical; but do wonder if their is an ulterior motive behind Webb's character. It makes for great TV to see Mitchell think he has him in a corner, but Webb has a seemingly perfectly reasonable explanation for what he is doing.

And it was squirm worthy to see Mitchell make such an arse of himself with the widow and her two children at the end.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th October 2017, 11:27 PM

Really enjoyed this week's, especially from Mitchell whose paranoia is becoming hysterical; but do wonder if their is an ulterior motive behind Webb's character. It makes for great TV to see Mitchell think he has him in a corner, but Webb has a seemingly perfectly reasonable explanation for what he is doing.

And it was squirm worthy to see Mitchell make such an arse of himself with the widow and her two children at the end.

Yes, enjoyed this week's a lot. However, I am having trouble working out Webb's motivations - to the extent that I fear any explanation next week will be unsatisfactory...

Quote: gappy @ 6th October 2017, 3:35 PM

Yes, enjoyed this week's a lot. However, I am having trouble working out Webb's motivations - to the extent that I fear any explanation next week will be unsatisfactory...

Yes, and the fear is of course that whatever it is (and if it is) that we will be disappointed for expecting too much........................or maybe not...........or take it for what it is...........go with the flow........have a laugh................don't take it too serious...............(I'll stop now)