Gidday Cobblers!

Well, an ex-pat living in Australia, how else do you introduce yourself?

I came to Australia when I was 4 years old so had little choice in the matter. I grew up on British comedy though and suffered for years until the internet and a company called Blackstar. So many things left to watch, so little time though...

I write. Comedy, sci-fi, horror. Mostly short stories - I hate the term flash fiction, preferring 'distilled' maybe... anyway, my readers claim I always surprise them and never disappoint them so what's it matter, so long as I can deliver that. Recently I finished my first epic: a sci-fi comedy novel of about 80k words. I'm pleased with it and I believe it has a long life ahead of it. Trying to find an agent or a publisher with a good sense of humour and the courage to run with it though. Without copying the content or the style, if you liked Hitch Hikers Guide, or Tom Sharpe, then I feel (trying to blush) that my style is a little similar.

I have self-published a set of 'shorts' called Quickety Snippets. I don't have the time or experience to self market properly though which is why I really would prefer a publisher for my sci-fi laugh-o-matic. Will keep trying...

So many British comedies to appreciate - impossible to name them all. Everything from stalwarts like Fawlty Towers to Man About the House, Terry and June, Marriage Lines, loads of stuff my Perry/Croft, loads of stuff by Galton/Simpson, Mortimer/Cooke, John Sullivan - oh, the list just goes on and on.

If most of my favourites lie in the past, forgive me that. Grew up with lots, just discovering other things. Feel like murdering those responsible for tape wiping all those years ago.... so much lost that we can never recover now. I plan on a few 'fan fictions' as a sort of homage to different programmes. We'll see how I get on. Now I've found this place, hope to come back regularly.

TTFN. Jaja Toff

Hi JaJa,

I love Tom Sharpe, Welcome.

Welcome, Jaja. I always thought it was cobbers rather than cobblers, but who am I to say?

It is cobbers, but cobblers always sounded much funnier to me. Still trying to remember where I first heard it miss-used like that but can't quite get to it... :)