Ideas to Attract Millennials. Page 2

The forum in particular, or the site as a whole? I think the site has some exciting stuff in the pipeline already. As for the forum, all I can think is what I just said. Start new threads! Some of the threads are very...what's the word I'm looking for...not 'cultish'. But exclusive? Like everyone who's been here for ages is chatting for 10s of pages about whatever and a newbie might not have much of an entry point into that sort of thread (which tend to be the more active threads). Also, perhaps post more about comedy? That might help.

Why are we after Millenials anyhow? The millennials born in the late 90s early 00s probably have never been on a forum in their lives, at least not one that isn't reddit or somesuch.

I'd have to agree. While Kenneth's reply may have been slightly tongue in cheek I think it did address what many (but not all) younger people would expect from a site/community.

I tend to read here because it broadly reflects my tastes and age group (Generation X apparently). I don't think a discussion of 'On the Buses' as an example is going to be something of interest to many people under 30. I think if you move to make it more attractive to people with a different cultural perspective you risk losing the regulars.

While some people are going to be interested in all forms of comedy from music hall to er...struggles to think of something modern... I do think it's quite a small group. As Davida says it can be a bit intimidating joining in a thread that's been running for 10 years and one that had probably deviated from the original topic considerably.

I came here as I was getting more into Radio 4 and wanted to explore some more options around what to listen to. Can't speak for other people though. Is the aim to increase hits, change demographics or just new blood?

If we don't get new people we will die. And BCG is more than just a forum.

Right. That is too true.

The nail has been hit on the head but largely ignored.
I'm sure lots of young 'uns browse here and only see established posts.
Five minutes and they are off.
Not many of you actually put up brand new topics.
I have put plenty up - and had snidey comments posted but my back is broad enough.
If something is close to your heart, post about it.
I'm sure we will all be glad to chew the fat and newbies might join in and enjoy it too.

I've had loads of times when I've wanted to post a new topic about someone or something I'm super excited about in comedy at the moment, but figured no one would be on board or assumed I would be breaking some sort of unspoken convention about mainly only posting on the many-many-page threads (I know I made that up in my head)....but I'm genuinely always discovering new comedy (new to me at least) and would love to chat excitedly or critically or questioningly about it with you all. Let's all start some new threads then, eh?

I suppose I don't mind if any of my own new threads don't get any responses. And do I also have to remember to search the backlogs to see if there's already a thread about the person or show I have in mind? Is it pretty much the rule that if there's a thread for it somewhere in this forum's history you should just bump it no matter whether the thread died on a tangent completely unrelated to the named topic 8 years ago or whatever. Or is it better to just start a fresh thread? That's really the question that's been making me so hesitant to make new ones.

Quote: Davida @ 27th August 2017, 11:58 PM

And do I also have to remember to search the backlogs to see if there's already a thread about the person or show I have in mind?

Yes.

Is it pretty much the rule that if there's a thread for it somewhere in this forum's history you should just bump it no matter whether the thread died on a tangent completely unrelated to the named topic 8 years ago or whatever?

Yes, and you can even steer things back on topic.

Or is it better to just start a fresh thread?

No. That happened once last year, when everyone started making unique On The Buses threads, so when millennials came here in search of an On The Buses thread in which to share their insightful opinions on the Cartesian skepticism at the heart of Stan's psyche, they were so overwhelmed by the glut of extant threads, they went back to YouTube to watch Joey Graceffa dissecting the nuances of a new flavor of ice cream.

Thanks for the clarification. Very helpful indeed.