eBay Page 4

Aw, that first one is so cute.

And cute money, but......next time I see one I'll buy it for you. Pleased

\o/

I hate eBay with a passion; end of.

A Chinese cloner has started up again, but this time more sophisticated with better Engrish etc.

I was fooled for about 30 seconds as I had only recently seen this very rare pre-war Dinky racing car go for well over £200 and here was another one at a BIN of £19.32, which would be a fantastic investment.......................then I noticed the identical photos and details.

Have reported it to eBay.

EDIT 23.32 pm - I'm impressed, it has been taken down already and I only reported it about 10 minutes ago. I go to bed happy now knowing I have saved someone nearly £20. :)

Don't know how many sellers we have on here, but since I started back in April selling I am amazed/annoyed at the number of buyers who do not leave feedback for some reason.

On my buying account I always make sure I have left good feedback where warranted, but this rudeness or complete stupidity is something that is alien to me.

Some people are absolute cretins.

Actually the opposite is mainly true.
The sellers do not leave you positive feedback until you leave them it.
You as the buyer have done your bit, all you have to do is pay.

They might send you a turd wrapped in greasepaper instead of the butt plug you ordered but you have still paid.
They get a notice as soon as a sale is made to leave feedback
But they don't until you do.

I've bought on places like ebay and amazon but never been a seller and have to admit I've not given any feedback even though it only takes a few minutes. If I was selling I would get annoyed from not getting good feedback but the culture seems to be people only give feedback when it's bad. If they're happy they don't think in this busy, topsy turvy world to give good feedback but if they feel it's been a bad service they will find the time to complain.

When you send out an order pop a compliment slip in it which can have a reminder on it to give you feedback on the experience. This could just be a slip of paper but if it's something useful like a bookmark it will probably increase the feedback and could even turn a poor experience like late delivery or replacent in to good feedback.

When I workd for an online bookshop replying to emails all day I used to see customers getting in to a rage in email exchanges because their order hadn't arrived and then suddely become delighted and give top marks in feedback when the postie had it for them :D You could see how passionate some book lovers could be about their next fix and they would think they have been conned but they didn't realise the company had a no quibble replacement policy for failed deliveries.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 23rd August 2017, 4:40 PM

Actually the opposite is mainly true.
The sellers do not leave you positive feedback until you leave them it.
You as the buyer have done your bit, all you have to do is pay.

They might send you a turd wrapped in greasepaper instead of the butt plug you ordered but you have still paid.
They get a notice as soon as a sale is made to leave feedback
But they don't until you do.

I always leave feedback as soon as the item has been paid for, which is usually straight away (even people who buy two things and then I have to give them back postage for multi purchase EVEN THOUGH I state quite clearly "Please do not pay for more than one item until I invoice you")
I had one bloke who said he couldn't give feedback because he was using an ipad and two who when I gently reminded them that it had been two weeks, gave me feedback in a reply email because they did not understand how the system worked.
Unimpressed

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 23rd August 2017, 6:12 PM

I've bought on places like ebay and amazon but never been a seller and have to admit I've not given any feedback even though it only takes a few minutes. If I was selling I would get annoyed from not getting good feedback but the culture seems to be people

:O And yes, it does piss one off.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 23rd August 2017, 6:12 PM

When you send out an order pop a compliment slip in it which can have a reminder on it to give you feedback on the experience. This could just be a slip of paper but if it's something useful like a bookmark it will probably increase the feedback and could even turn a poor experience like late delivery or replacent in to good feedback.

I'll try the slip idea, thanks.
:)

The fickleness of eBay.

It will never cease to amaze me at the prices or lack of that some people will pay for something, especially it seems on a Buy It Now, which I have yet to try.

With BIN it seems some people think "Hell, can't miss out on that" and bang in the price you were asking for. Another scenario given to me on the eBay so called "community" was that some people cannot be bothered to wait/bid on things and demand instant gratification.

Have just sold one item at £99 starting price, which should have made at least £150 and yet another one (completely different type of sale) I put on for £3, which I thought I was pushing my luck with, went up to £5, then £11 (which I was VERY pleased with) and now totally gobsmacked - at the last minute fetched £39, for a mere booklet ! Which was, unbeknown to me, clearly rare. :D

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd April 2019, 11:39 AM

The fickleness of eBay.

It will never cease to amaze me at the prices or lack of that some people will pay for something, especially it seems on a Buy It Now, which I have yet to try.

With BIN it seems some people think "Hell, can't miss out on that" and bang in the price you were asking for. Another scenario given to me on the eBay so called "community" was that some people cannot be bothered to wait/bid on things and demand instant gratification.

Have just sold one item at £99 starting price, which should have made at least £150 and yet another one (completely different type of sale) I put on for £3, which I thought I was pushing my luck with, went up to £5, then £11 (which I was VERY pleased with) and now totally gobsmacked - at the last minute fetched £39, for a mere booklet ! Which was, unbeknown to me, clearly rare. :D

The buy it now vs bid thing. Well...there is a psychological aspect to it. If someone bids for something, even if it starts at just 99p, they begin to believe in the possibility that it might soon be theirs. If nobody bids for a while, that just puts the idea further into their heads. Then...if someone else does bid...they sort of see it as that other person trying to take what's rightfully theirs. It's actually a thing. So, if they go on to lose that item, they feel a real sense of loss...as if it's been taken from them. I shit you not...a low starting price can reel in a good bunch of needy buyers. Then, there's the element of victory for the person who eventually won the auction. "Yeah...I totally beat everyone else's bid and now the item is MINE...ALL MINE!!!"

I'm a dedicated sniper, myself. I set an alarm for a few minutes before something I want ends, then go in and bid what I'd be willing to pay. I bookmark it, rather than 'watch' it. Hopefully, this helps to prevent it being bumped up the popular items list of similar things...so less people might see it. However, if I go to the item page to find it's already at a high price, I don't bother...and THAT is because I didn't start bidding for it at the beginning...and haven't already developed any kind of need to own it, or to prevent anyone else having it.

But I reckon you already know all this...being a hardened eBay wiz, and all. :-)

Here we go again - is there a conspiracy or are these people buying from themselves to boost their image? Insane statement I know, but WTF is going on???

I had a duplicate gift of Monty Python DVD 16 Ton Megaset, and so seeing it was fetching anywhere between £40 and nearly £120 (!!!) I put my NEW IN ORIGINAL SHRINKWRAP set up for £29 thinking it would be snapped up.

Not a sausage. People watching it, but that means nothing - the likelihood being they are price checking/valuing for their own set.
So, reduced it to £19........f**k all. £9, even more FA. THEN in desperation I put it on for 99p. YES, that's NINETY NINE PENCE...............................NOTHING.

Unbelievable. Angry

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st May 2019, 11:28 AM

I had a duplicate gift of Monty Python DVD 16 Ton Megaset, and so seeing it was fetching anywhere between £40 and nearly £120 (!!!) I put my NEW IN ORIGINAL SHRINKWRAP set up for £29 thinking it would be snapped up.

Not a sausage. People watching it, but that means nothing - the likelihood being they are price checking/valuing for their own set.
So, reduced it to £19........f**k all. £9, even more FA. THEN in desperation I put it on for 99p. YES, that's NINETY NINE PENCE...............................NOTHING.

Unbelievable. Angry

I have a feeling these DVDs might be "Region 1" and therefore not playable on many UK DVD players.

If so, that would put many people off.

It might be worth checking out?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 21st May 2019, 12:50 PM

I have a feeling these DVDs might be "Region 1" and therefore not playable on many UK DVD players.
If so, that would put many people off.
It might be worth checking out?

5 years ago or so or whenever that would have been a very valid point, but in this day and age I don't think you can even buy a Region 2 only DVD player now - I may be wrong on that, but what would be the point when all the ones you see for sale (Amazon etc. etc.) are Multi-Region.

Yes, the set is NTSC, which is typical of my son scouring the Earth to find the best deal! But those prices I quoted are all for Region 1 sets as far as I can see as I don't think this actual set as it stands was ever available in the UK.

But none of this explains my predicament and why one set for example sold from the USA for £117 + £22 post & packing!!

A month ago I listed three antique/vintage dress daggers, one of which I have discovered since was Indonesian and called a Kris and it is that knife that eBay warned me was against their regulations so they deleted the listing.

OK fair enough. Couple of days passed and I get an email from eBay to say I have a three day listing ban as I am still selling banned articles i.e. the two other daggers. Now as eBay hadn't deleted the listings at the same time as the Kris, I thought they were OK to sell as they were curved, fancy and nothing like the Kris.

How wrong I was! You'd think I'd become a major arms dealer the way they went on and told me to patronisingly use my three day ban to read and digest their rules on what is not allowed to be sold.

(Thought I'd better not list the Thompson submachine gun I had then...................only kidding!)

So, since then I carry on selling the mass of hoardings I have from over the last 50 years or so, along with some stuff that belonged to my parents, as my children have told me in no uncertain terms that anything left after I have "gone" will be put in a skip. Find some presentation cutlery that were unused wedding gifts of my parents and as they were still in their nice cases I listed them :-

Fluted set of fruit spoons
Fish knife and fork set
Meat carving set...................WRONG!!!

Now, not only have eBay deleted the "offending" item they have now given me a 30 day listing ban as I was continuing to sell offensive weapons. i.e in the typical carving set of fork, sharpening steel was of course the important item of a carving knife.

As if to rub salt into the would they have told me that after 4th August I will be allowed to sell the Meat carving set without the knife..................what a load of cobblers, AND they are all *@%**@s !!