Detectorists - Series 2 Page 4

Yes, more please. This is the best show of the decade so far!

Any hints to a third series? I'd think it would be airing right around now, if one was planned.

Quote: bump909 @ 1st September 2016, 7:41 PM

Any hints to a third series? I'd think it would be airing right around now, if one was planned.

Hopefully we should have news soon... I do know everyone involved has been a bit busy this year (Toby Jones has been in so many shows!)

Quote: Mark @ 14th September 2016, 11:39 AM

(Toby Jones has been in so many shows!)

And films; or does 'shows' include films now, and if not, which word does?

I agree, it's a marvellous series, with beautiful shots of wildlife and the countryside. A joy to watch.

Been watching the ones I missed which is most of series two. Seems to be much more drama heavy than series one which I liked for its casual odd ballness and its airiness. It was never a sitcom to start with but now it's very much a comedy drama, and I'm finding this together with the series arc thing more than a tad soapy, which surely we've got enough of on TV. Fair play for his bird's mum to get involved, what a touch of class to have a theatre dame playing a part but this has just help soapify and feminise an essentially blokey hobbyist sitcom. imo.

I feel it has too many characters now for what it is, it feels a bit cramped at times. And introducing the kraut and his backstory is yet another intrusion in a 30 min 'comedy' and with the Toby Jones reacquainted lost daughter line it all adds to the soapy feel. With the family related narratives and all the new story lines being created they'll need a ten series run to tie them all up, classic soap opera stuff.

Sorry but I think Crook's gone the wrong way with this after introducing us to a very pleasant hobbyist sitcom, potentially. He'll need to dig this one out with his spade if it's not to get buried in the earthiness. It needs the light airiness back. I'd start with kicking the women out. And although its drawn out gentle humour in the fields is spot on for what it is, he maybe needs to write a bit more of it.

Yes - I've watched it a couple of times recently. Not overly funny and a bit "forced" at times.

I also read through a script online which gives me hope for mine.

I must agree - the plot about the German kid and his grandfather just weighs it down, it's much too soapy, as Alfred points out. Nowhere near as enjoyable as it was.

Quote: beaky @ 26th July 2017, 9:07 PM

I must agree - the plot about the German kid and his grandfather just weighs it down, it's much too soapy, as Alfred points out. Nowhere near as enjoyable as it was.

Yes, thinking about it after reading the three posts, I can't but help agreeing with you all.

Where's it gone? Tuned in to watch final ep on Tues and it wasn't on. No sign of it on any listings or iPlayer either. WTF are the Beeb up to yet again? Pirate Can they ever just keep to schedule without suddenly changing it with no warning??? Infuriates me. I believe it's done to protect their DVD sales so people can't just set the timer for six weeks to record the whole series. They forget we've already paid for watching it in our licence fee. Steam.

They wonder why they cop so much criticism but it's their constant bloody meddling with schedules and daft commissioning decisions. WTF is this doing on BBC Four anyway? With the reviews and viewer feedback this show has had you'd have thought it would be getting decent figures on BBC Two at least. Anyone but the BBC can see that! Why the hell are they so useless? Jesus, stop taking on clueless management grads with no appreciation of the arts and bring back the old queers from theatre land who used to run the Beeb very well. They might have said ducky too much but they knew their shows and where to put them. Angry

I think that shows on BBC One are too pressured to succeed. How old are you Kipper? This sounds like someone in their mid 70s to me.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 10th August 2017, 3:17 PM

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

What happened to episode 6 of series 2 repeat?
Not even available on iplayer!
What is the reason for this crap scheduling?

We are paying for this!

The final episode is on at 10pm this coming Wednesday, 23rd August.