The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 668

Quote: Chappers @ 7th August 2017, 7:53 PM

Hmmm. I'm not that confident!

Well, obviously, one doesn't expect to be "confident" about a 33/1 chance in a 24 team league. Just thought, with their new signings and the cash from last season's cup run, they were better value than, say, Tranmere @ 3/1 and may give me a better run for my money than the likes of Leyton Orient or Hartlepool @ 11/1, bearing mind their disasters of last season.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 8th August 2017, 8:41 AM

Well, obviously, one doesn't expect to be "confident" about a 33/1 chance in a 24 team league. Just thought, with their new signings and the cash from last season's cup run, they were better value than, say, Tranmere @ 3/1 and may give me a better run for my money than the likes of Leyton Orient or Hartlepool @ 11/1, bearing mind their disasters of last season.

The money went on the dressing rooms, toilets and floodlights!

Getting a nose bleed! Sutton are second behind Aldershot after 4 games.

1 goal down after 2 minutes we were still behind at 86 minutes but turned it round to win 2-1.

Nice.
We were top of the premiership for a day.

Don't say it too loud, The Town beat Millwall at The Den last night 3 - 4 and are now third in the Championship. Bloody Hell.

I had to confirm that you meant Ipswich. The well-known Tractor Boys!

How long have they actually been called that? Not that long.

FA Cup extra-preliminary round replay Littlehampton v Chatham tonight.

Winners at home to Eastbourne Utd in the preliminary round on Sunday.

Quote: Chappers @ 16th August 2017, 5:20 PM

I had to confirm that you meant Ipswich. The well-known Tractor Boys!

How long have they actually been called that? Not that long.

Not sure, but longer than you think. I seem to remember it happened sometime when I moved to Herts. in the 80s....................maybe. Maybe a bit later. You need a mega fan, which I am not now.

TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote: Chappers @ 20th August 2017, 10:11 PM

TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO. 2 IN THE LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WON FIRST FOUR MATCHES - NOT BEEN DONE SINCE UNDER ROBSON IN 1974. (NOW I HAVE AN ERECTION. )

Congrats by the way Chappers old chap. :D

BACK TO THE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!!

We lost at home on Saturday pushing us down to second. Won away today though against the team just behind us.

Just take a peek at the premier league tables...
The Terriers joint 2nd and not a single goal conceded in 3 matches.

Reminds me of the 1970-71 season. They won the first 2 games! Relegated the next season and then dropped through to the 4th Division.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970%E2%80%9371_Huddersfield_Town_A.F.C._season

You researched that out pique didn't you :)

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 28th August 2017, 9:33 PM

You researched that out pique didn't you :)

Sorry. I seemed to remember it differently actually. I thought you won the first 3 and then got relegated the same season but I think that was Carlisle.

Playing in the First Division for the 1974-75 season. Carlisle won their first three fixtures to go top of the English football pyramid, partly due to the likes of Chris Balderstone, scoring the penalty which put them at the top, and Bobby Parker who both went on to make at least 375 league appearances for Carlisle. The success was short lived however, they finished the season in bottom place and were relegated. Highlight victories include doing a double over Everton, and home victories over eventual champions Derby County, and former title holders Ipswich Town, Arsenal, Burnley, Tottenham Hotspur and Wolverhampton Wanderers.