CIOMCS: personalised number plate for sale

Hi.....

If any of you up and coming comedians would wish to purchase this unique private registration plate for yourself/investment or a gift........the certificate is on retention
(Ready to transfer)........
Offers around £3000. Pounds
Please email en.route1@btinternet.com Or 07703279392. Private and secure
Regards Michael

I assume only dyslexic comics will be interested, but they're likely to send you a payment of £00.03.

Haaaaaa....nice joke.....your a good ciomic........

I like your cheek young man, very inventive.

Tarby had COM 1C

Should have had him under Trades Descriptions

Quote: DaButt @ 9th August 2017, 3:42 PM

I assume only dyslexic comics will be interested, but they're likely to send you a payment of £00.03.

Laughing out loud

Is the actual registration C10 MCS and the space has been removed? I used to have the registration H11 AAA which I had changed to HII AAA but I was never brave enough to remove the space as that would be an offence. I don't think it was endorsable and only a fine of something like £60 or £90 but an asking price of £300 seems a bit steep especially if the reg should have a space in it.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 9th August 2017, 6:48 PM

I used to have the registration H11 AAA which I had changed to HII AAA but I was never brave enough to remove the space as that would be an offence.

So does that mean that UK plates can be manufactured by the vehicle owner or other third party? If so, that's interesting.

Our plates come from each state's Department of Motor Vehicles -- no exceptions. There are a million different ways to customize them (colors, text/numbers of your choosing, sporting teams, university names, etc.) but the actual plates are manufactured by the state government -- typically by prison inmates.

There are currently 452 different plate styles offered in Texas: http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/license-plates/specialty-license-plates/itemlist/filter?moduleId=185&Itemid=145

You can even get an anti-abortion plate:

Quote: DaButt @ 9th August 2017, 7:15 PM

So does that mean that UK plates can be manufactured by the vehicle owner or other third party? If so, that's interesting.

Our plates come from each state's Department of Motor Vehicles -- no exceptions. There are a million different ways to customize them (colors, text/numbers of your choosing, sporting teams, university names, etc.) but the actual plates are manufactured by the state government -- typically by prison inmates.

There are currently 452 different plate styles offered in Texas: http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/license-plates/specialty-license-plates/itemlist/filter?moduleId=185&Itemid=145

You can even get an anti-abortion plate:

The UK plates are so boring in comparison! I think all registrations including those on new cars and personalised plates that can be bought seperately to put on a car are all created by the DVLA so I don't think you can specify what you want to the DVLA. The plate H11 AAA was on an old Audi I bought so it came with the car and was technically not a personalised plate. I think personalised plate just means it can differ from the standard format at the time. I was daft because when I scrapped the Audi I didn't retain the registration so it was lost forever. If I had retained it I could have sold it or registered it on another car.

The typeface and size has to be the same on all plates as well so the automatic number plate recognition cameras that police use can scan them properly and legally they have to be displayed on the front and rear but in the US I think you only have to have the plate on the front and can have anything you want on the back. Is that still the case?

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 9th August 2017, 7:34 PM

The typeface and size has to be the same on all plates as well so the automatic number plate recognition cameras that police use can scan them properly and legally they have to be displayed on the front and rear but in the US I think you only have to have the plate on the front and can have anything you want on the back. Is that still the case?

That's backwards: all cars have to have a rear plate, but some states don't require front plates. Florida was one of them, so when we were teenagers some of us had mockup plates that said ARRIVE STONED. They were making fun of the free safe-driving plates that the state would sometimes hand out that said ARRIVE ALIVE.

Plate recognition cameras aren't really in use here. Some states have tried them and they've met with much pushback. People aren't too keen having the cops/government intruding into their lives even more than they already do.

Texas requires plates on the front and back, but they have no year or expiration date on them. That info (a combined registration and inspection sticker) is on the windshield on the driver's side of the vehicle. Texas cops would like the stickers to be on the rear plate so that they can follow a vehicle and see if it has a valid registration, but the people won't stand for it. So sometimes the cops block most of a turnaround lane under an overpass so that they can get a good look at the stickers on slow-moving vehicles and issue citations.

Oh yep, I just realised there wouldn't be much use not having a rear number plate :D Speed cameras arn't very popular but I think most people welcome the advancements in the ANPR system because it helps fight car crime which is out of control. Gangs are now breaking in to homes to take the keys of expensive motors on the drive and if the owner notices quickly and reports it to the police all the fixed and police car ANPR cameras in the country will alert if that car is seen so it gives the owner a chance of getting the car back. The police can park up and scan the numberplates of passing cars so if one goes past who has a suspended licence, known for drink driving, knowns for drugs, reported stolen etc they can pull it over which must make life so much easier I'm surprised it's not more widespread in the US.

Sorry for being as clear as mud in my earlier post because I just noticed I was proably totally misleading when I said I changed H11 AAA to HII AAA as that could mean I changed the 1's for I's officially with the DVLA but all I did was re-press the plates with a different font type so they looked less like 1's. I don't think it's ever been possible for someone to change the registration like that officially with the DVLA and they publish plates twice a year and that's it. Maybe (probably) there are exceptions for the super rich.

Quote: DaButt @ 9th August 2017, 7:46 PM

Florida was one of them, so when we were teenagers some of us had mockup plates that said ARRIVE STONED.

I would have gone for something like that. It's a bit like take me to your dealer :D I bought a novelty numberplate when I was on hols in Florida but that was in 93 and I can't remember what it was. It was colourful and I remember wishing plates like that were allowed in the UK to make the drab roads more cheerful.

I saso bought a Bart Simpson water bottle and straw which had a picture of Bart and the words "radical dude" on it. This was when Simpsons wasn't heard of in the UK so I had no idea who it was. Wish I had kept hold of that.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 9th August 2017, 8:56 PM

The police can park up and scan the numberplates of passing cars so if one goes past who has a suspended licence, known for drink driving, knowns for drugs, reported stolen etc they can pull it over which must make life so much easier I'm surprised it's not more widespread in the US.

We'd never go for that (I hope) because it's too much of an invasion of our privacy. Cops need a good reason to stop a vehicle and the fact that the owner might have had previous drug or drinking charges is not reason enough, especially when there's no way of telling who is actually driving. The vehicle itself shows indications of the registration/inspection status and that's really all the cops should be able to tell at a distance.

There's also the cost factor, as we have 4 million miles of roads to monitor. My state isn't even the largest one in the country, but it's 3 times the size of the UK. But mainly it comes down to citizens worried that the government would abuse their ability to track, fine and harass drivers.

when I said I changed H11 AAA to HII AAA as that could mean I changed the 1's for I's officially with the DVLA but all I did was re-press the plates with a different font type so they looked less like 1's.

We could never alter anything on a plate. As I said, they are manufactured by the state and there's no way to legally modify the plate or have a new one made, unless it's done by the state.

I bought a novelty numberplate when I was on hols in Florida but that was in 93 and I can't remember what it was. It was colourful and I remember wishing plates like that were allowed in the UK to make the drab roads more cheerful.

If it was made to look like an actual 1993 plate, then it probably looked like this. Custom/vanity plates weren't really available back then.

A few years later Florida added a big orange over the state's outline, but for the first couple of years the color was a bit off and it looked more like a peach.

Anyway back to it........."i wanna tell ya a story"

I started a new business about 15 years ago.......and the company was called MCS

So I brought a number plate to promote it ......C10MCS.....A transport company....

Anyway after a short while,people were calling me a "comedian".......and I wasn't,t
Impressed.......

Although i thought i was.......!

So here we have it........tarbucks no plate.....COMICS....IS WORTH APPARENTLY in excess of £100.000...one hundred thousand pounds....+. Plus

My plate is C10MCS.........NOT SURE ABOUT YOU YANKY GUYS......but in the UK...
IT,S TRANSFERABLE AND WHO BUYS IT...OWNS IT...........

Quote: DaButt @ 9th August 2017, 9:17 PM

There's also the cost factor, as we have 4 million miles of roads to monitor. My state isn't even the largest one in the country, but it's 3 times the size of the UK. But mainly it comes down to citizens worried that the government would abuse their ability to track, fine and harass drivers.

Ah good point and it's easy to forget how small the UK is. The rules may have tightened up now but you used to be able to get number plates made at key cutting shops or car parts suppliers and all you had to do was show them the car or document that shows the licence reg. They could change the fontface and colour which were against the law but it would be the car owner that got in to trouble and not the shop so they would make them anyway. When I had my plate re-printed the guy in the shop warned me about removing the space between H11 and AAA and said that will be noticed by police so I took his advice and didn't. I should have just done it because HIIAAA would have looked cool even just for a few weeks in my black H reg Audi 80 auto with badboy (phat) alloys (rims) :D I got stopped for changing the 1's to look like I's but it was just a warning to change them back and I didn't get a fine. It's more stricter now and the police have the powers to sieze the car if it doesn't have correct plates and the reason they give is because it messes with ANPR but that would take someone being a real arse to them especially if they arn't known to the police. It's a minor motoring offence and not like driving without insurance so they can let you off with a warning if they feel like it.

I just remembered it was 1990 when I was in Florida because by 93 The Simpsons were well known. It was around 93 my sister had a car reg plate printed with my bands name on with lightening in the background for a present when she did Camp America in North Carolina. I still have it and it's shiny and metaly.

Quote: Crossy @ 9th August 2017, 9:47 PM

So I brought a number plate to promote it ......C10MCS.....A transport company....

Hi Crossy :) how is the reg listed with the DVLA? Is it C10MCS or are there any spaces on paper? If there are no spaces then I can see some value but this isn't the best way to sell it. If you want to post on a community board you need to take part first. Otherwise it can be seen as spam. There are companies who broker registration plates who have big adverts in all the Sunday papers so contact them and they will give you a quote to buy it from you. You probably wont get a better price anywhere else.

Why do people write such long posts? Maybe I should tweet with a limited number of characters.

Anyway in the UK it's not really legal but people can buy a special registration and adjust the spaces to make the message look clever.

My dentists registration is JAW 5 (the 5 is rounded to look like an S)

And the BBC still state this number plate was accidental on Top Gear.