Amazon comedy submissions Page 4

Plus, I have yet to spot a UK based comedy/drama on their roster.
So perhaps it's a Postcode Lottery!

Five days and still waiting. Weird thing is it said complete in my profile then went back to evaluating. Like Lazzard says its strange, response time usually is three months min when sending to other places. Maybe its a combination of the both their having few scripts sent but their also reading the stuff with potential first, or maybe not. Remember most places now have a time window to send stuff and I presume Amazon has a large team.

Good luck Bellylaugh & Kealy.

Lazzard what do you think of the blacklist's 25$ per month listing fee? Do you have anything listed?
Have you looked at https://www.scriptrevolution.com/ ?

No - did a few years back , but took it down.
Still visit it the blog, which is a great educational resource for screenwriters. Not Sit-Com writers, though
The truth of it is, none of these sites really offer much, apart from a place where like minded wannabe's can swap notes.
I think theres a time and a place for that but you need to move past it, be confident in your own work.
Plus they're all American, mainly screenplays, with a strong US sensibility and a LOT of annoying Yanks.
And they want your money.
Not tried that other site but it looks very much the same.

From what I've read elsewhere, the open submissions are pretty much a dead end these days. It started out as a way to develop new writers many moons ago, and I think a few things got made through it, but partly because it was mismanaged and partly because Amazon/Netflix are now such big players that they're in a position to compete with the big US networks and work with established talent, nothing has come out of it for many a year, despite what you'd expect would still be a daily influx of thousands of new scripts into their inbox.

I'd still like to think that a genuinely brilliant script would still be able to be spotted in the haystack and would actually get somewhere via this method, despite all that.

Quote: Lazzard @ 8th August 2017, 1:50 PM

Plus they're all American, mainly screenplays, with a strong US sensibility and a LOT of annoying Yanks.

I wondered if amazon even look at uk submissions.

Quote: Lazzard @ 8th August 2017, 1:50 PM

Not tried that other site but it looks very much the same.

But free!

If someone wants to start a UK blacklist (one that includes film, drama and sitcoms), somewhere that UK prodco's could look to find new talent/ideas. Then i have a great name for the site and the domain name is available!

My submission has now had 8 downloads? I wonder who is downloading?

BTW no ratings yet. So it has either stunned people with its brilliance or crushingly disappointed on the first page...

Quote: playfull @ 9th August 2017, 10:13 AM

I wonder who is downloading?

People who want to see if their stuff is better or worse than other people's stuff.

Playfull I've read the opening scene with Ben in bed with the wrong woman and I like it. Telling her to get the kids up and she replies but I haven't got any kids and those lovely fluffy pink pants. It tailed of a little for me after that. But I will read the whole thing at some point and rate it. O I thought I'd download multiple copies to get you going on the old download count (lol) Just toying with ya. :D

Thanks Kealy,

I read on the BBC writers room that it's a rookie move to open with an alarm clock and one that will get you binned pretty quick by any serious reader.
The piece is very dated but i think the story is still worth revisiting. I have been planning to do a complete rewrite...
Thanks for reading anyway.

Is yours still being evaluated?

Yes. God knows what's going on it must of been lost of the virtual slush pile. Well this year as far as the BBC Writers Room goes I failed to make it through the first ten page read through, no alarm clock was needed. I haven't seen any posts on this forum about BBC rejections this year, strange.

Bellylaugh have you had a reply from Amazon yet? It's gone two days. Does it say evaluating in your profile?

Kealy. I notice you're from Leicestershire. If you're not too far away from the city, any chance you'd be interested in meeting up to talk writing? Bounce ideas around etc.

Playfull I've rated your work on Amazon. I read the first 36 pages. It doesn't give you much space to leave comments there, so he goes one man's opinion.

First it runs to 90 pages, sitcom 36 max comedy drama max 70. It seemed to read more like a sitcom to me than a comedy drama? I found some of the scenarios I could guess what was going to happen. Maybe some twists and surprises. There were some good lines like SUE: Mum was right about you. BEN: Your mother never did like me. SUE: I'm talking about your mother. It could do with more mind. I presume on page count is why it was rejected.

Maybe someone else will give it read? so you can get a more better idea on what to do if you decide to rewrite it. Someone more qualified?

Hi Mrkgrngr,

Mrkgrngr my ideas bouncing right into your bank account right (lol) :D in all seriousness I'm busy with work (The stuff that pays) and writing at the moment. Plus I don't have a car at the moment and where I'm at its a pain to get into Leicester. But maybe some time later in the year.

Cheers.

I believe that Leicester writers were disqualified for being too cheesy. For anyone else it's a Bries.

Hey you write don't you Paul maybe send some stuff in. Maybe your stuff will fair better than my cheesy comedy.You should Bries it. Laughing out loud