Who are the most genuinely talented comedians?

I guess it's slightly idiotic to be posting this in a forum that's title includes 'stand-up' - but I'm NOT talking about the quality of said comedian's stand-up - I'm talking about their improvisation ability; how quick-witted or comedically talented they are.

Personally, the most talented comedians I've seen are (to name a few): Lee Mack, Jimmy Carr, Frank Skinner, Mark Lamarr, Russell Brand, Conan O'Brien (from the states) etc.

Jimmy Tarbuck, natural ad libber. Ken Dodd also. In fact pretty much any scouse comic.

Brucie ruled and I saw an interesting documentory about his life recently which was an eye opener. I had no idea he started out so young. He was the best at reacting to game show contenstants and the audience to get a laugh and Saturday nights wouldn't have been the same without him. Bob Monkhouse was also masterful with an audience. I've noticed from Mock The Week that Hugh Dennis is also very sharp so I have a lot of time for him. Maybe the show isn't as improvised as it looks but he still comes up with the best gags.

Robin Williams always seemed pretty quick on his feet. The same goes for his idol, Jonathan Winters.

Quote: DaButt @ 4th August 2017, 8:45 PM

Robin Williams always seemed pretty quick on his feet. The same goes for his idol, Jonathan Winters.

He was like a Gatling gun and could reach the 'dribbling wreck' on the laughter scale not many others could get near.

Dave Allen. Years ahead of his time. Cool, funny, and perfect comic timing.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 4th August 2017, 8:33 PM

I've noticed from Mock The Week that Hugh Dennis is also very sharp so I have a lot of time for him. Maybe the show isn't as improvised as it looks but he still comes up with the best gags.

Having watched Taskmaster and other unscripted things he's been in, I can tell you that he's the antithesis of quick-witted.

Russell Brand?????!!! As funny as he is politically relevant. File with E.Izzard.

Quote: paulted @ 4th August 2017, 9:42 PM

Dave Allen. Years ahead of his time. Cool, funny, and perfect comic timing.

My dad never missed Dave Allen and it was a silence in the room or get hit by something scenario whenever he was on :D Or Jasper Carrott. I was too young to get the humour but I remember they could make my dad howl with laughter.

Dave's son Ed Allen co-wrote 'Orrible with Johnny Vaughan which is one of my favourite comedies. Shortlived and possibly cult following but still very funny and Ed makes a few appearances as an accident prone doorman.

Quote: Jason Tennant @ 4th August 2017, 10:08 PM

Having watched Taskmaster and other unscripted things he's been in, I can tell you that he's the antithesis of quick-witted.

I chose not to give expletive ridden opinions on Russell Brand and Mark Lamarr even though I started to type it because I realised these are just opinions. And then this Teary

Bob Monkhouse.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 5th August 2017, 6:49 AM

Bob Monkhouse.

Agree 100%...........and so, is that why you have that name - in the hope that some of his talent will rub off? Whistling nnocently

My son's a wanker like me. Glad something's rubbed off.
People often ask if there's a connection to Robert and the answer is no and yes and no again. The relationship is -a- so distant it doesn't mean much, and -b- only to to my stepfather so pretty irrelevant... I often explain this to break the ice at parties. That and the fact that Stop was the first Spice Girls single not to get to number one.
I don't get invited to parties very often.

Quote: paulted @ 4th August 2017, 10:28 PM

Russell Brand?????!!! As funny as he is politically relevant. File with E.Izzard.

I think most of what most of the audience presumes is improv from Izzard is really writtem or semi-improvised.

I don't think improvisational ability or quick wit would be the main criteria for me in choosing the most talented comedians. I'd probably prioritise good writing with unique and intetesting structure and expression of unique and carefully and defrly thought-through punchlines, phrasing, cadence, pacing, tone. Also of course timing. I like it when a comedian is able to take the audience on an emotional and mental ride that turns and swerves and speeds up and stops suddenly and has peaks and valleys, and leads the audience exactly where the performer wants them to be. Someone who can make you angry, terrified, tearful, hopeful, inspired, crushed and depressed...someone emotionally impactful. I also think a lot of talent is the ability to be able to rescue the room and get everyone back on their side at the drop of a hat. And just being someone who is able to take a show and cobtinually make it better over hundreds of dates and not get burnt out to the point of going into autopilot. Improvisational skill is nice. It's just not the main marker of talent for me.

I love jazz, but I feel the same way about it. Improvisation is an amazing skill and difficult to do well, and definitelt requires talent but I'm more interested in hearing the head, the composed bits, and the dynamics and harmony and rhythm etc. I tend to zone out in the fiddly bits unless it's someone i find exceptionally interesting like e.g. eric dolphy.

Maybe what I'm bumping up against is the distinction between talent and skill. I'm not sure there is a meaningful distinction to be made there. But I guess I'd say my idea of talent is probably what most people would consider skill.

Russell Brand is all bluster and no laughs.
As I see it, Eddie Izzard is improvised in the sense that he has an overall map but can take off at tangents depending on the night. He's probably the only one you can see twice on the same tour and still etc. I saw him at Cambridge years ago and at one point he said he was bored of the same material 'so could someone give me a new subject?' He took it for about 10 minutes and was very funny.

And how could I forget Eddie Large? His political insights and impersonations were always spot-on. Check out 3.37 - 3.58 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNys08sBIzs - close your eyes and it's like she's in the room with you. How does he do it? What's his secret? I guess we'll never know.