Leftie writing partner wanted for political sitcom

Hi,

I'm working on a political sitcom with a reasonably original premise and I'm looking for collaboration with someone who's left-wing and funny. I've got a terrible draft that I'm working on making less terrible and a lot of the work is done in terms of the plot and characters, but the truth is I'm not a natural comic. It is pretty aggressively political, so it would suit someone who cares about stuff like that who is also good at jokes.

Ta.

Have you considered Jeremy Corbyn? He's a real joke!

Quote: Chappers @ 30th July 2017, 8:47 PM

Have you considered Jeremy Corbyn? He's a real joke!

You beat me to this Chappers.

Good luck Textworlder and welcome to the site. There are a few lefties on here.

Ps - can you guess me and Chappers aren't two of them:P

Lol thanks for the replies... I think ???". Tbf I'm not sure which is more likely atm, me finishing my script or Corbyn becoming PM.

(Actually, I had a breakthrough last night, after months of writing unmitigated crap/exposition I finally put together 2 pages of actual useful dialogue. With jokes. Not greatly funny, but good enough to be getting on with. It's a start, at last.)

Vive la revolution!

Carry on Brexit!

Hi Textworlder, sounds interesting. I'm brand new to the forum, but not to the site itself; I would be keen to find out more.

Textwonder! This sounds amazing, are you still looking for a partner for this project?

Ooh, I'm a bit late here but you never know - are you still working on this? I'm a Leftie and political journalist who's done some stand up and comic poetry. Get in touch if you want to chat. Cheers.

Quote: Chappers @ 2nd August 2017, 12:52 PM

Carry on Brexit!

Is that you being left wing? It's hard to tell.

Bumping to say sorry for not getting back to anyone who messaged me, and I will also be PMing you my apologies individually.

I had a crisis of confidence when people replied and I realised the material I had was so poorly written and presented it would have been utterly disrespectful to share it with anyone... so I logged off and haven't had the bottle to log back into the site for 2 years.

In those 2 years though, I've done quite a bit of work on the idea and now have an actual pilot episode (titled, semi-coincidentally, "Viva La RevoluciĆ³n") which is damn near finished. 35 pages long, formatted correctly, a tightly structured plot, with controlled dialogue and, in places, some half-decent jokes.

So... I'm still looking for collaboration possibly, because I'm not a natural comedian and the jokes are so-so, but I'm also looking for agents and/or production companies who might be interested in a political sitcom with an original concept. It's a reasonable script and not just a badly thought out rough draft of vaguely connected ideas and reams of flat, pointless exposition.

Thank you for your patience :)

Quote: Textworlder @ 2nd August 2017, 7:07 AM

Lol thanks for the replies... I think ???". Tbf I'm not sure which is more likely atm, me finishing my script or Corbyn becoming PM.

(Actually, I had a breakthrough last night, after months of writing unmitigated crap/exposition I finally put together 2 pages of actual useful dialogue. With jokes. Not greatly funny, but good enough to be getting on with. It's a start, at last.)

Vive la revolution!

You won't get any agents or production companies from posting on here. Concentrate on getting a good script written, then worry about getting it accepted. Don't pay any attention to the right-wing lunatics who post here, we'll grind them beneath our chariot wheels!

Best of luck with your project. And hats off for having the ability to judge your own work critically.

Quote: Textworlder @ 7th September 2019, 5:34 PM

I realised the material I had was so poorly written and presented it would have been utterly disrespectful to share it with anyone...

That doesn't stop most of the writers on this forum!

Quote: Textworlder @ 30th July 2017, 12:31 PM

I'm looking for . . . someone who's left-wing and funny.

That's very wise. If you were looking for someone right-wing and funny, you might end up with some brilliant scripts but your chances of selling any of them would be just about zero.

That's why openly right-wing comedians are pretty thin on the ground these days, just as openly Christian comedians were thin on the ground in ancient Rome.

You're doing the right thing by going with the flow.

However, if Corbyn comes to power and Trump is deposed by a democrat nutcase, I strongly suggest you start looking for right-wing partner.

You know it makes sense. Laughing out loud