The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 666

Oh no! Back to the days of awful goalkeeper kits!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40519105

Quote: Chappers @ 2nd July 2017, 9:35 PM

They're the Manchester United* of the International football world.

* And Bayern Munich.

Ooer Chappers, now you've done it - page 666 Angelic

OK. So the football world has officially gone mad!

Barcelona forward Neymar, 25, has accepted an offer from Paris St-Germain after the French club triggered his £195m release clause. (Esporte Interativo via Daily Mail)

I'm not sure if I can make it but this is one pre-season friendly I'd like to go to.

QPR v Bournemouth - a benefit match in effect for Stan Bowles, one of the best English footballers of the 1970s who is suffering from Alzheimers.

Bloody hell! Jodie Taylor does it again. Lethal finisher - one the best in world football. France coming on very strong now. Can England hang on?

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd July 2017, 10:57 PM

I'm not sure if I can make it but this is one pre-season friendly I'd like to go to.

QPR v Bournemouth - a benefit match in effect for Stan Bowles, one of the best English footballers of the 1970s who is suffering from Alzheimers.

I should have gone but the wife is away with old school friends in Amsterdam. A great tribute by the club for a brilliant footballer and great character.

Quote: Will Cam @ 30th July 2017, 9:20 PM

I should have gone but the wife is away with old school friends in Amsterdam. A great tribute by the club for a brilliant footballer and great character.

I saw him play quite a few times. A shame he was largely ignored for the England team (if my memory serves me right?)

England so far surviving the French onslaught - 5 mins left of Added On Time.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 30th July 2017, 9:12 PM

Bloody hell! Jodie Taylor does it again. Lethal finisher - one the best in world football. France coming on very strong now. Can England hang on?

BRILLIANT!

Quote: Will Cam @ 30th July 2017, 9:20 PM

Was she playing?

Quote: George Kaplan @ 30th July 2017, 9:31 PM

I saw him play quite a few times. A shame he was largely ignored for the England team (if my memory serves me right?)

Yes, 5 times played with one goal. I think being a character at club level doesn't necessarily endear you at national level. It was nice to see some Carlisle fans photographed at the match, we bought him from them, in '72.

He and others like Charlie George, Alan Clarke, Ray Kennedy were denied more caps by England not qualifying for any tourney for the whole f**king decade from 1970 and appalling conservative Hodgson type managers who picked work mule forwards like Mullery and Mariner who couldn't hit a barn door between them over goal scoring talent we had. If Clough had been rightful boss who knows what England might've won, with the great defenders and keepers we had at the back then. Appalling waste of talent by donkey coaches and starchy FA who couldn't give up Ramsey's dodgy run and wear em out methods. Angry Still fuming at the travesty. English clubs with no foreigners lording it in Europe and the FA fail to get England anywhere. Failure to organise piss up in brewery.

This birds team looks much better, already got a bronze at world cup. No hang ups, no yes men coaches, just doing it. Hope they win and I believe they will.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 31st July 2017, 1:06 AM

appalling conservative Hodgson type managers who picked work mule forwards like Mullery and Mariner who couldn't hit a barn door between them over goal scoring talent we had.

Alan Mullery may have been accused of many things (including being the first player ever sent off while playing for England) but he was never a forward, nor ever picked as such. A wing-half as they used to be called.

Appalling waste of talent by donkey coaches and starchy FA who couldn't give up Ramsey's dodgy run and wear em out methods

Considering he gave England the only success they have ever had (and arguably had an even better team 4 years later), not sure it is fair to be criticising Sir Alf's methods as "dodgy"!

He and others like Charlie George, Alan Clarke, Ray Kennedy were denied more caps by England not qualifying for any tourney for the whole f**king decade from 1970 and appalling conservative Hodgson type managers who picked work mule forwards like Mullery and Mariner who couldn't hit a barn door between them over goal scoring talent we had. If Clough had been rightful boss who knows what England might've won, with the great defenders and keepers we had at the back then. Appalling waste of talent by donkey coaches and starchy FA who couldn't give up Ramsey's dodgy run and wear em out methods. Angry Still fuming at the travesty. English clubs with no foreigners lording it in Europe and the FA fail to get England anywhere. Failure to organise piss up in brewery.

Yes. Not sure why you thought Mullery was a striker.

In those days of course qualifying groups were much smaller so players had less chance to win caps. Also substitutes were limited. Nowadays all you have to do is be English in the Premier League and you'll probably get a couple of caps.

This birds team looks much better, already got a bronze at world cup. No hang ups, no yes men coaches, just doing it. Hope they win and I believe they will.

Are you referring to Lucy Bronze?

I think we should all watch the semi-final and hopefully they'll get to the final.

Quote: Chappers @ 30th July 2017, 9:49 PM

BRILLIANT!

Was she playing?

Laughing out loud

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 31st July 2017, 12:09 PM

Alan Mullery may have been accused of many things (including being the first player ever sent off while playing for England) but he was never a forward, nor ever picked as such. A wing-half as they used to be called.

Well he was rubbish whatever he was. Francis was another one England played forever even though couldn't score for them.

Considering he gave England the only success they have ever had (and arguably had an even better team 4 years later), not sure it is fair to be criticising Sir Alf's methods as "dodgy"!

Well yes they were very dodgy in that he dropped the best players for fitness fanatics and turned the World Cup into a weird run until you drop on a football field competition that didn't exactly set the world alight. A bit of a contrast to the style Brazil won the next one.

in.