Top Ten American Sitcoms Ever Page 15

A lot of people saying they can only think of 2-3 american sitcoms that they actually rate. Amazing considering the half baked shite we've produced in the UK in recent years.

The Simpsons
American Dad
Frasier
Modern Family
Nathan For You
3rd Rock From the Sun
Friends
30 Rock
American Office
Rick and Morty
Happy Days
Cheers
Bilko
Beavis and Butthead
King of the Hill
The Life and Times of Tim
Curb Your Enthusiasm
South Park
Family Guy
The Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Community
Arrested Development
Seinfeld

Off the top of my head...

Quote: Scartledge @ 15th July 2017, 9:21 PM

A lot of people saying they can only think of 2-3 american sitcoms that they actually rate. Amazing considering the half baked shite we've produced in the UK in recent years.

The Simpsons - OK
American Dad - YES!
Frasier - never got it!
Modern Family - what?
Nathan For You - Never heard of it!
3rd Rock From the Sun - Nope!
Friends - absolute BOLLOCKS!
30 Rock- Nope!
American Office - never seen it.
Rick and Morty - never heard of it!
Happy Days - a bit shit really.
Cheers - NOW YOU'RE TALKING!
Bilko - prefer Top Cat
Beavis and Butthead
King of the Hill - surpassed by FG and AD.
The Life and Times of Tim - never heard of it.
Curb Your Enthusiasm - terribly overrated.
South Park
Family Guy
The Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Community
Arrested Development
Seinfeld

Off the top of my head...

Quote: Chappers @ 15th July 2017, 10:08 PM

You never got Frasier?

What was there to get? It was a well written, well performed comedy which hardly declined at all over it's long run.

Maybe it's worth giving the shows you've never heard of a go.

I'd particularly recommend Nathan for you.

Thanks for your personal opinion of the shows I mentioned though.

Happy Days is feelgood TV. Not always funny but usually fun. The problem for me is like the American Office: it gradually loses contact with reality. Jumping The Shark (something Melania does most nights) is proverbial, and last night I saw the episode where the performs an escapologist trick: towards the end he becomes a kind of superhero.

Quote: Scartledge @ 16th July 2017, 1:13 AM

You never got Frasier?
What was there to get? It was a well written, well performed comedy which hardly declined at all over it's long run.

Ahmen. My top 10:
Frasier
Cheers
The Simpsons
Soap
another 6

Quote: Chappers @ 5th July 2017, 11:50 PM

M*A*S*H and Cheers for me plus possibly Soap. And that's about it.

Excellent choice by the way, but what part of this spin off, with the same production values, the same lead playing Fraser, and the same producers as Cheers, with every surviving main cast member of Cheers (except Kirstie Alley) appearing in Fraser, escaped you ?

If Fraser were set in the UK, Surrey would be the obvious place for him to live. So if Fraser escapes you , I can only assume you were keeping him against his will.

I've tried to list them in chronological order.

Bewitched
Happy Days
Cheers
Taxi
Diff'rent Strokes
Cosby Show
Roseanne
The Larry Sanders Show
Fresh Prince Of Bel Air
The Simpsons
Friends
Scrubs

I never missed St Elsewhere and Thirtysomething but that was drama not a sitcom despite having humourous moments.

St Elsewhere was a very good and underrated show. The hospital equivalent of Hill Street Blues.

Quote: Chappers @ 16th July 2017, 8:10 PM

St Elsewhere was a very good and underrated show. The hospital equivalent of Hill Street Blues.

The theme tunes to St Elsewhere and Hill Street Blues are my two TV theme tune favourites of all time. Just checked them out again on youtube and I still get goosebumps when I hear the opening seconds of St Elsewhere :D

Tries again: Bilko, Cheers, Big Bang, Get Smart are definitely the Top 4 and in that order. The Simpsons, Happy Days, Taxi, The Golden Girls, Mork and Mindy and Soap would have to be there or thereabouts in the next six-eleven. The love it or loathe it The Wonder Years which was bittersweet and not quite a comedy was memorably distinctive if helped by the theme tune. I have tried so hard with Frasier but never got it fully and Friends just leaves me cold as does Will and Grace. I believe I loved Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, The Beverly Hillbillies, the Munsters and the Addams Family when barely out of nappies but would need to review them in the current era. Seinfeld, 3rd Rock and several others are quite ok to good.

(I only rediscovered Get Smart recently and now I understand it - brilliant - "I'm sorry about that chief") :D

Get Smart of course had another one of those gorgeous brunettes in the tradition of Mary Tyler Moore.

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd July 2017, 4:14 PM

Get Smart of course had another one of those gorgeous brunettes in the tradition of Mary Tyler Moore.

Barbara Feldon - still alive, now 84.

The Simpsons can't be anywhere outside the top 10. Ok later seasons haven't been great, but those early ones have some of the best humour out there. Crazy where the writers came up with it.

Top 10 in no particular order:

The Simpsons
Seinfeld
Friends
Curb Your Enthusiasm
That 70s Show
The US Office
Family Guy
Frasier
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Arrested Development

Quote: Chappers @ 15th July 2017, 10:08 PM

While I understand that comedy is subjective, I feel bad for you if this is an honest assessment of all those programmes. To not rate so many top quality ones is just shocking.

1.The Simpsons (not new stuff)
2. Frasier
3. Modern Family
4. Fresh Prince
5. Big bang theory
6. How I met your mother
7. Friends
8. Community
9. The middle
10. King of Queens

This is an approx order but it probably changes ha ha

Bewitched
Hazel
The Golden Girls
The Munsters
The Addams Family
I Dream Of Jeannie
Diff'rent Strokes
The Golden Palace
Mr Ed
I Love Lucy

1. The Simpsons
2. Futurama
3. Flight of the Conchords*
4. Aqua Teen Hunger Force
5. Parks and Recreation
6. Bob's Burgers
7. American Dad!
8. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
9. The Sarah Silverman Program
10. Family Guy

* I wasn't sure if Flight of the Conchords counted as it's really a New Zealand comedy. However, it is set in America and produced by an American channel.