How to make a perfect sitcom?

I wondered if we had a group consensus of what makes a perfect sitcom.

Have wobbly sets.
Have references to the Magna Carta.
Nobody dies.
Most of the action takes place in a kitchen or in space.
If it is in space it should be accompanied by non-computer graphics.
Be sexist. Non-sexist sitcoms do not appeal.
Don't talk to the camera, you only do that in sketch shows.
Have the boss come to dinner.

(Waits...)

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 27th July 2017, 12:44 PM

Most of the action takes place in a kitchen or in space.

Home or workplace.

Workplace, home, area to relax.
Hilarious but sympathetric characters, engaging plots, high laugh count. Simple innit.
Perfection does not exist. The closest we get is Mel C's shoulderblades.

Sympathetric?

Wobbly sets is a must for a seriously good sitcom. No wobble, no great accolades or lasting memories. References to the Magna Carta are sadly lacking these days as are quotes from G B Shaw, both are glaring symptoms of the current malaise in scriptwriting. No great script, no great sitcom, regardless of how whacky your characters are.

Most of the others are very good practices too but I'd say optional depending on your sitcom. I will take issue with the home or workplace one - location is a trifle, the home is the ultra safe choice always, as is the office, and many workplaces are treated like home in sitcoms with virtually no challenging conflicts from the settings. The locations and the sets then made could be a lot more inventive and characterful, we're getting back to that obligatory wobble. I'll add as desirables

a good catchy theme tune that lasts more than eight seconds
over running episode lengths that holds the news up
unadulterated studio laughter with at least one looney or drunk in audience

You have missed out the most important element of all - a catchphrase! One that sounds like it is an innuendo but actually isn't. This should then be repeated endlessly to gales of recorded laughter.

Thank you for your sympathreticness.
Secret of a good sitcom? Being awesome. When I was preparing for my Latin finals at C**tbridge, I asked my prof for advice. He said, 'Just make sure you know the texts inside out - have read and absorbed the secondary literature - and can add your own ideas too.' Simples.

Quote: playfull @ 27th July 2017, 3:22 PM

You have missed out the most important element of all - a catchphrase! One that sounds like it is an innuendo but actually isn't. This should then be repeated endlessly to gales of recorded laughter.

I have to go for a whole day without making any innuendoes. It's long and hard but I can pull it off.

Oohh that's really hard, isn't it?

You have missed out the most important elementary of all - a catchphrase! One that sounds like it is an innuendo but actually isn't.

Fairly sure that innuendo can only be innuendo.

The main thing in any sitcoms is that the characters are trapped. Fawlty Towers - Basil is trapped into the relationship and is terrified of Sybil, all the comedy comes from that. Red Dwarf - four characters trapped in space, Porridge, trapped in prison.