Newman and Baddiel in Pieces

Couldn't believe there isn't a thread for this. I'm too young to have watched it when it came out, but watching it now it's still very funny. That said obviously some of the material has dated, but that's to be expected, although I must say it is almost baffling seeing the Wembley show and how raucous it all is. Much overdue for a DVD release at any rate, plus it's nice that they both now seem to be friends again.

I never really watched these at the time, for no particular reason.

I liked it but it was my 'try to be positive you cynical wanker' phase. Hardest week of my life.

Yeah. I still like the History Today sketches, despite the fact it's essentially one joke. I occasionally will use "That's you that is" in a social situation and if somebody gets it it's always a nice moment. People of Restricted Seriousness always made me laugh too, as did Jarvis. Always liked Baddiel more than Newman though.

Newman and Baddiel were good and "That's you that is" was huge. Everyone at school started saying it. The Mary Whitehouse Experience was also worth tuning in to and later on Baddiel and Skinner was good quality humour. Frank Skinner used to be incredibly funny and witty but he seems to have lost that sparkle.

I seem to remember at school you either liked Newman and Baddiel or Vic and Bob but it was against the rules of the playground to like both :D

Frank Skinner is fairly awesome. He breathed the same air as Mel C at the height of her gorgeousness (www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_V_xZIIyT8) and yes, I did slime over him by accident once. But it was worth it.
Their 'Man afflicted with a sarcastic tone of voice' and Brian Coat were amusing. The 'that's you, that is' was funny but done to death and took over Blackadder as most often quoted. I know I wrote this before, but when I am Prime Minister (if Berlusconi can do it, so can I) my first rule is that anyone who still quotes Blackadder has to go down on Rowan Atkinson. Subclause: If they pretend it's spontaneous, they have to swallow. Sub-subclause: If it's that 'long Winter nights' line again, then yes, they have to do it all one long Winter night.

Indeed. In fact I maintain that the Baddiel and Skinner: Live and Unplanned is one of the funniest DVDs in my collection, and it's a shame they didn't release more (not a fan of the Fantasy Football stuff)

Anybody know why this hasn't been released on DVD yet? Especially given the importance of the Wembley gig, unless it's Newman and Baddiel themselves, but then they've made up now so who knows?

Of course I can't really judge how big the History Today catchphrase became, my knowledge is purely retrospective, but the show was a lot more than just that. The Poltergeist stuff really made me chuckle too. Incidentally if anyone hasn't seen it, do try to get a ticket to Baddiel's My Family: Not The Sitcom, it's a real treat.

I once read a review praising 'em for being 'funny without being sexist'. The amusing thing is it was in a top shelf mag. Such publications are fundamental to the struggle against sexism.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 11th July 2017, 7:42 AM

Frank Skinner is fairly awesome. He breathed the same air as Mel C at the height of her gorgeousness (www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_V_xZIIyT8) and yes, I did slime over him by accident once. But it was worth it.
Their 'Man afflicted with a sarcastic tone of voice' and Brian Coat were amusing. The 'that's you, that is' was funny but done to death and took over Blackadder as most often quoted. I know I wrote this before, but when I am Prime Minister (if Berlusconi can do it, so can I) my first rule is that anyone who still quotes Blackadder has to go down on Rowan Atkinson. Subclause: If they pretend it's spontaneous, they have to swallow. Sub-subclause: If it's that 'long Winter nights' line again, then yes, they have to do it all one long Winter night.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

There was also Baddiel's 'Stab ib the Dark' but it was routinely massacred.
Which comedian spens 24 hours on VHS with rotten sea-food? Day, Vid, Bad Eel.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 14th July 2017, 12:06 AM

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

My second rule: If someone famous dies, you can only be sad if you can demonstrate you thought at least once about the poor f**ker in the last year. Otherwise you are, technically speaking, a hypocritical wanker.