Why did Grant and Naylor stop working together? Page 2

The first book is probably the funniest book ever written. It's certainly my most re-read book.

Dan

Couldn't get more than 50 pages in just didn't do it for me

As much as I have enjoyed Rob Grant's solo books (including Backwards), I think he produced better work with Naylor. It's clear that he wrote 80%+ of the material, but Naylor's additions elevated it.

Naylor's solo outings (Red Dwarf 7 onwards and Last Human) are just abysmal in my eyes (although they very funny at times, they lack in the characterisation and story department).

I got to ask Danny John-Jules why Rob and Doug split once. His response was telling, "Not even we could find out!". I believe Paul Jackson says something similar on one of the DVDs ("I don't know anyone who knows why they split.")

I guess it's possible even Rob Grant doesn't fully understand. Maybe it was just something he felt he needed to do.

I also got to ask Rob Grant why he and Doug wrote two separate books. His answer was simple, but also telling: "Because we had two books left on our contract."

It's also worth noting that Doug's book came out first, and lifts huge chunks of the TV show's scripts verbatim, whereas Grant's book lifts a couple of minor ideas and one scenario (the digital Westworld), but rewrites ALL of the dialogue.

Quote: sootyj @ 1st November 2012, 2:43 PM

Couldn't get more than 50 pages in just didn't do it for me

Come back so I can be mad at you!

This is something quite surreal for me, but I work with a gentleman called Dave Lister. He's in his mid to late 60s and went to university with Doug Naylor. They were pals. Dave Lister says Doug Naylor used his name for Craig Charles's character. Only his name, not his characteristics etc. This Dave Lister is of different skin colour to start off with!

I was fascinated by this.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 23rd June 2017, 11:19 PM

This is something quite surreal for me, but I work with a gentleman called Dave Lister. He's in his mid to late 60's and went to University with Doug Naylor. They were pals. Dave Lister says Doug Naylor used his name for Craig Charles' character. Only his name, not his characteristics etc. This Dave Lister is of different skin colour to start off with!

I was fascinated by this.

Brilliant :D On the claim to fame leaderboard that is a top tenner for sure.

There are entire series of Red Dwarf I've never seen because it became so tiresome I couldn't stand the pain and the breakup with Grant and Naylor is probably the root cause. Re-using gags and predictable character interaction made it a shadow of its former self so I lost interest around series 4. The script used to be sharp as a tack and fat free and I was thinking about it today while in the lav at work. I was chuckling to myself thinking about how the Cat would refer to Rimmer. Alphabet Head and Goal Post Head are two that always spring to mind.

--Re-using gags and predictable character interaction made it a shadow of its former self so I lost interest around series 4.--

Aw man, that was a bad place to stop. I'd say the show hit its peak between series 4, 5, and 6.
7 and 8 were pretty shitty, and Back to Earth was cringeworthy, but the recent series aren't bad. Definitely not as good as the show was in its heyday, but they have charm.

Perhaps Doug Naylor could find a really funny writing partner for the next series of Red Dwarf. Mix it up a bit. See what becomes of it.

Hug

I hope that when Red Dwarf does reach its end, Grant/Naylor let bygones be bygones and give the characters the send off they deserve.