Obscure sitcom facts Page 3

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 22nd June 2017, 7:16 PM

St was Anthony Hancock's middle name (Anthony Aloysius St. John Hancock).

Obscure Sitcom Fact? Anthony Aloysius St. John Hancock was his "full" character name. (Born Anthony John Hancock), just as Sid's was Sidney Balmoral James.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 22nd June 2017, 7:16 PM

St was Anthony Hancock's middle name (Anthony Aloysius St. John Hancock).

His middle name was St John, pronounced sinjun. Having a posh and strangely pronounced name was to show his delusions of grandeur.

Not really a sitcom but Richmal Crompton's William remains eleven years old over around 400 adventures published 1917 to 1970. Did you know that if you count the number of birthdays, Christmases and New Year celebrations he actually has, you need a hobby.

I think we need to police the "obscureness", the "sitcom nature" and the "facts" round here.

I can trump the Hancock's middle name one. Fawlty Towers was set in the seaside town of Torquay, which is actually a real place.

Quote: Kenneth @ 23rd June 2017, 3:45 PM

Fawlty Towers was set in the seaside town of Torquay, which is actually a real place.

Thankfully they didn't have lagging issues back when that Faulty Tower was made.

Fun fact: Frazier (in Cheers) was initially written for John Lithgow (3rd rock).

Expanding on the Buster Merryfield obscure fact - his first professional acting job was playing Uncle Albert in OFAH and had approached the BBC/John Sullivan by writing a letter stating his desire to replace Lennard Pearce in some capacity.

Patrick Murray - aka Mickey Pearce of OFAH in the episode 'Little Problems' was seen to have broken his arm courtesy of the Driscoll brothers. Patrick Murray, during filming, had a nasty accident involving some glass which caused some serious bleeding where he nearly had to pull out of the show as a result. Thanks to some medical help, good fortune and John Sullivan genius, he was able write in a quick reason why Mickey Pearce's arm was in an arm support.

Patrick Murray announced on his facebook page in March he's trying his hand as a DJ in Benidorm. Not sure how it's going but he's such a lovable character if he's half decent at DJing I can see it becoming a big success. I love the Mickey Pearce character and my favourite scene is when him and Rodney are looking for girls to chat up in the pub. When they see two girls at the bar and Rodney dares him to say hello Mickey shouts OI! and waves at them Laughing out loud

Men Behaving Badly was first broadcast on ITV & Harry Enfield starred as Gary's flat mate. Neil Morrisey appeared from series 2 onward, replacing Enfield.

Two Only Fools and Horses characters appeared in Al Murray's 'Time Gentlemen Please' - Kenneth MacDonald (one episode) and Roy Heather. AKA Mike and Sid.

Father Ted's house is used as a coffee shop for tourists.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 22nd June 2017, 8:14 PM

Tony Howes from Coppers and Co visited my college to do a seminar when I was doing a BTEC performing arts course in 1994. I was the only one who had heard of him and prooved it to him by delivering his classic line "Oohh Coppers". He was really nice and friendly to everyone and an all round great guy.

A few years later I found myself standing behind him at a supermarket checkout and I was going to say hello and remind him of his college visit but he was chatting to a woman at the time who I assume had recognised him and struck up a conversation. I knew it would be bang out of order to interupt him when he was chatting to a gal at a supermarket checkout so I never said anything.

Who and what?

Quote: Chappers @ 24th June 2017, 2:52 PM

Who and what?

:D That pretty much sums up the reaction all the students had. I didn't watch Coppers And Co because it was a steaming pile of cattle business but had seen snippets so recognised him from that. He's a good stage actor though. http://www.tonyhowes.co.uk/

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 23rd June 2017, 11:14 AM

Not really a sitcom but Richmal Crompton's William remains eleven years old over around 400 adventures published 1917 to 1970. Did you know that if you count the number of birthdays, Christmases and New Year celebrations he actually has, you need a hobby.

Thought I was experiencing deja vu for a minute there... :)

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 24th February 2017, 11:37 AM

The funny thing about Billy Bunter is he's always the same age. If you actually count how many birthdays, Christmases and New Year's Eve parties he has - you need a f**king hobby.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 23rd June 2017, 11:23 PM

Men Behaving Badly was first broadcast on ITV & Harry Enfield starred as Gary's flat mate. Neil Morrisey appeared from series 2 onward, replacing Enfield.

That is NOT what I'd call an obscure fact. Quite well known and documented.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 25th June 2017, 1:37 PM

Thought I was experiencing deja vu for a minute there... :)

I believe in deja vu. Yesterday I was waiting for a bus in Rome and it was late and I thought, I'm sure this has happened before.

I used to believe in deja vu and may well again.