I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,933

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 18th June 2017, 1:01 PM

Not that I know, but can guess. Water freezes in winter. If any of the pipes froze it would block the pipe.

No, you don't say. :S But I understand there is a thing on the market now called lagging, which stops that. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 18th June 2017, 1:01 PM

With most systems, the pipes are air filled and a pressure sensor detects (by the drop in air pressure) that a sprinkler head has activated and starts the very fast water pump.
If you were on a bottom floor and had to wait while the water fed down to you by gravity and then it only dribbled out, instead of by huge pressure, you'd be dead or the fire would have taken hold.

So what's the matter with bleeding all the pipes down to the sprinkler head? I know if I've had a plumbing leak in the past on a domestic system the water soon pisses out of that!!

And is there not a law of nature that says the higher the water is from its final outlet the higher the pressure would be?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th June 2017, 4:15 PM

No, you don't say. :S But I understand there is a thing on the market now called lagging, which stops that. Whistling nnocently

So what's the matter with bleeding all the pipes down to the sprinkler head? I know if I've had a plumbing leak in the past on a domestic system the water soon pisses out of that!!

And is there not a law of nature that says the higher the water is from its final outlet the higher the pressure would be?

There are systems with a big tank on the roof or even a swimming pool, which I think are also sprinkler systems.

Only true of static water, in flowing water the pressure is reduced by obstructions.

Depends on the height of the building I suppose.
Even a gravity fed system on the London tower block would have stopped it being a total disaster.

The photos on the news seem to indicate that all of the internal furniture was flammable, which doesn't make sense.

Quote: billwill @ 18th June 2017, 6:06 PM

There are systems with a big tank on the roof or even a swimming pool, which I think are also sprinkler systems.

Only true of static water, in flowing water the pressure is reduced by obstructions.

Not sure what you mean by static water, Bill. Is that not what we are talking about? i.e. a large tank or swimming pool on the roof?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th June 2017, 9:23 AM

Not sure what you mean by static water, Bill. Is that not what we are talking about? i.e. a large tank or swimming pool on the roof?

One the water start flowing (to put out the fire) the friction over the sheer length of the pipe and the minor obstructions at each joint will reduce the pressure after the obstruction so on the lowest floors it might indeed just dribble out.

Presumably the basement sprinkler pumps work at a higher pressure than the mere equivalent of the height of the building (approx 30 pounds per square inch per 33 feet of building height).

Hopefully the Russians are just running their mouths. The situation in Syria is already enough of a mess as it is.

Russia has warned the US-led coalition fighting in Syria that it will view its aircraft as targets, after a Syrian military plane was shot down.

The coalition said it had shot down the Syrian Su-22 after it bombed US-backed fighters in Raqqa province on Sunday.

Russia, Syria's main ally, said it was also halting communications with the US aimed at preventing air incidents.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th June 2017, 9:23 AM

Like they have on all the posher tower blocks, owned by the nobs?
Oh, sorry, they're ACTUAL swimming pools...

The really posh ones span two towers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34009561

Sad to hear of the passing of the great Brian Cant. A bona fide TV legend. Play School's kindly uncle figure, loveable clown on the forgotten gem Play Away, and the voice of the legendary Trumptonshire trilogy. R.I.P.

I see that Jamie Murray is putting his money where his mouth is. He's pledged his earnings from Queens to Grenfell House. A shame he got knocked out so early but there is still a considerable amount. Celebs like Russell Brand and Lilly Allen take note.

Quote: paulted @ 19th June 2017, 9:47 PM

Sad to hear of the passing of the great Brian Cant. A bona fide TV legend. Play School's kindly uncle figure, loveable clown on the forgotten gem Play Away, and the voice of the legendary Trumptonshire trilogy. R.I.P.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/33788/

I read a story about how Kelly Osbourne went in to a Starbucks in New York to use the toilet but they wouldn't let her. I'm not sure if it's because she hadn't bought anything but aparently it caused her to wet herself and she went on Twitter ranting that Starbuck had made her piss herself and how her shoes were "full of piss thanks to Starbucks".

I have no idea why she couldn't find somewhere else but perhaps she was in there for so long throwing out phrases like "do you know who I am" that she really did get caught short. Some were defending her but a lot were also reminding her that as an adult she should be able to control herself until she finds a restroom.

She was finding a restroom, DT.

Is she pregnant or anything? Apparently sometimes it can't wait!