Unsolicited scripts sent to Celebs?

Hi all,
I have written several episodes of a sit com recently, and met a well known TV star recently, who (very nice person) said to send an episode to their secretary and they'd have a read and give some feedback. I tried this once with a speculative letter to my comedy hero, and it was returned unopened for "time and copyright" reasons. I quite understabd this, I assume its because if they read it, someone like me might try and claim their ideas were nicked down the line and get some money a year or two hence. Thats not my way but I can see the reason to play safe and not read anything at all.

This contact seems less prissy than that but is there a nice way of reassuring them I am not a gold digger? All I want is feeback not a series, I'm not that deluded. But I suppose if people made money out of George Harrison's My Sweet Lord (ridiculous ) then you cant blame people for playing safe.

When I was in some short lived correspondence with Bob Monkhouse many moons ago after writing to him at his house to tell him how much I enjoyed his biography and him thanking me in a hand written letter; I thought I was in here and wondered if he would be interested in any material I had written for my first venture into stand up writing - not performing!
He again wrote back and thanked me and saying he was returning my un-read one-liners as he didn't want there should be any chance in the future that he might unconsciously use some of my material.

Either that or it was shit and he didn't want to say. Laughing out loud

Lovely man though and there's not many would take the time to thank their fans personally.

The other one who bothered with a hand written reply was John Junkin who had a series on Radio 4 at the time, though I cannot remember what it was called.

Yes I can quite understand that. I just want to try and pre empt the "unopned and returned" syndrome by saying something reassuring like " I'm not a saddo who will claim you nicked my ideas" Its unlikely they'd be that desperate, also you cant copyright an idea, just the dialogue.

As this person told you to send an episode to their secretary, I'd take that at face value and send it, reminding them who you are and that they suggested you send it. I wouldn't mention anything about the legal side. Do it now, don't let the grass grow under your feet.

I will, nothing to lose!

Listen to Beaky young man. He's not just a pretty nose.

(blushes prettily)

Jordan? Basil Brush?