Leslie Thomas RIP

Well this news passed me by.

I only found out about this by chance having seen an article in the Daily Mail saying that he had died earlier this month (May).

A great comedy writer, I read all of his books having picked up (!) "The Virgin Soldiers" when I was about 12.

These books included 3 Virgin Soldiers books (a film being made of the Virgin Soldiers), 4 Dangerous Davies books which spawned several TV series, a couple of autobiographies, several World War 2 novels based on real events plus about 20 others on a vast range of subjects.

His books were a lot more real than the cartoon humour of Tom Sharpe but overflowing with humouous situations.

A great writer in my mind, very sadly missed and a great influence on me.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th June 2014, 5:33 PM BST

These books included 3 Virgin Soldiers books (a film being made of the Virgin Soldiers)

Two films, in fact. The Virgin Soldiers and Stand Up Virgin Soldiers.

Also I'd forgotten there was a TV serial called Tropic based on his Tropic of Ruislip novel.

I've just been watching "The Last Detective" and was looking to see if it was available on DVD still. It is.

However I was trying to find Tropic (of Ruislip) on DVD but without any luck.

Does anyone know if it's available?

OK Herc. I know it's nearly 2 years old now but I'm still trying to find a recording of "Tropic". I'd love to see it again.

Incidentally there are 2 different Dangerous Davies series, one starring Bernard Cribbins and the other starring Peter Davidson.

I was Googling and this came up!

Quote: Chappers @ 4th June 2014, 5:33 PM

A great comedy writer, I read all of his books having picked up (!) "The Virgin Soldiers" when I was about 12.

Similarly, I picked up a copy of The Love Beach* at a young age and was hooked. As you say, great melding of realism and humour. And most importantly, for a young boy, there were usually sex scenes., which I wasn't getting in Wodehouse, Blyton, The Three Investigators, et al.

* I know it's not one of your favourites, Chappers.

As mentioned above I've been looking for the DVD of "Tropic". If anyone can find it for me it would be Aaron.

I've Googled it but have come up with nothing.

Aaron! If you can help me I'll support you!

Quote: Chappers @ 1st June 2017, 8:45 PM

Incidentally there are 2 different Dangerous Davies series, one starring Bernard Cribbins and the other starring Peter Davidson.

The Cribbens film is excellent, and Bernard very well cast in the lead. It also sticks faithfully to the book. I only saw the pilot of the Davison series, which annoyed me by attempting to improve on the wonderful source material.

Leslie's death had also passed me by. I must read more by him.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th April 2018, 3:19 PM

As mentioned above I've been looking for the DVD of Tropic. If anyone can find it for me it would be Aaron.

Aaron! If you can help me I'll support you!

I'm afraid it's never been released!

Quote: Aaron @ 4th April 2018, 8:42 PM

I'm afraid it's never been released!

No Pirate copies?

Not that I have seen. But it does remain in the archive, so there's always hope.

Let's start a petition.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th April 2018, 3:19 PM

As mentioned above I've been looking for the DVD of "Tropic". If anyone can find it for me it would be Aaron.

I guess you've seen the trailer clip from this ITV promo clip? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJntGOV92Es Backyard bikinis, aye? "They" say it was axed in the '79 strikes era because it was bad.

Oh, and another snippet at the end of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF9Sr-Od8_M

Thanks for that Kenneth. Only vague memories of it though.

Incidentally I noticed the lovely Judy Loe in a clip for another programme. She of course married Richard Beckinsale.