Improvised Sketch Comedy: Teach N'Boys

Hey guys, we are Teach N'Boys, a new Youtube sketch show. All our sketches are completely improvised and cover a range of topics and comic tastes. Please check out our channel, we are always looking for feedback, hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6yobBCAV7vpREACQbNojXg

I could only last about 2mins...sorry but i think you might get a few people doing the same. You need to hook people with something funny or interesting early on. Screechy voices are not enough on their own. Try scripting the beginning at least before you go off going off.

Thanks for the comment, I have heard similar things from another person, we are working on the format of the show at the mo hopefully you might like our later shows, all a learning curve for us at the mo but appreciate the feedback.

I lasted a minute less than playfull. You've got to script it, and if you're very skilful, like Peter Cook say, you can then ad lib. Otherwise it's just a boring, self-indulgent mess.

Hey we appreciate the feedback, just realeased our second episode, have a look and see what you think,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCahuY9B-kU

Your second one is more of the same. I totally agree with the feedback you've had so far.

It's not for me in its current format guys. Me and my mates were doing this in 1979 on tape (and our improvisation wasn't funny either).

I'm going to disagree with the other guys. I've managed to get all the way through all three episodes, and there's some genuinely funny stuff in here. Some of the weaker ideas just end up with everybody shouting as loudly as they can, and some of the different 'funny voices' end up sounding a bit similar... but the guy out at sea who's expected to capture a polite-sounding whale with his bare hands; the radio programme about banal superpowers (flashing and mind-control of ham); and the new boss at the M&M factory who wants to fill all the M&Ms with goulash - those are really good ideas. My favourite was the radio show about the man who'd forgotten everything about himself, and wanted other people to ring in and remind him of who he was. Something very Samuel Beckett about that.

I respect Edward and his work, so I'm sure he's right about the good stuff - it's just a bit of an effort to find it!

Thanks very much Edward for your honest feedback we are glad you have enjoyed it. We also appreciate your insight into the show's faults and we are keen to enhance the quality of our content.

I lasted 1:17 in. I enjoyed Edward's explanation of some of the ideas that I didn't listen to enough of to get to sound interesting. I'm with the others on their feedback. From the get go it's just a bit jumbled and doesn't really pull you in or give you much of a clue as to what the programme is going to be like.

I don't think it's an inherently flawed concept for a show. Improvisation can be good and funny, but it's got to have something supporting it or tethering it to something interesting or that the audience will care about. I couldn't identify that aspect of it in yours. I might be biased in that I do tend to like things that are more scripted. Even things like As Yet Untitled or Baddiel and Skinner Unplanned I think are done in such a way that while it may be largely improvised, the comedians will have usually put in the work of coming up with some kind of scripted ideas that they think might fit into the show however it may turn out. Or something like that. And even though an all-improvised show will fluctuate in structure, I think it should still have an identifiable beginning middle and end that make sense and flow well in some sense. Didn't get to the middle or end, but the beginning didn't do it for me.

I think there's definitely something to that Peter Cook quotation beaky posted about needing to know how to write before you can get to ad lib.

Thanks for sharing your videos. Good luck with future ones.

For all those who may be interested we have made Episode 4 of Teach N'Boys, hope you enjoy, and let us know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Exfot0aJaE

no hand written comedy not youtube

Hey comedywriter dude, you will be pleased to know that Teach N'Boys isn't hand written as it is improvised :)