White Gold

I like comedy, love the eighties and laughed at The Inbetweeners so you'd surmise that White Gold would be my ideal sitcom? Nope. The main character was such a sweary stereotypical egotistical fool that it was almost impossible to watch. As for James Buckley and Joe Thomas - can't they act at all.

The music was good though.

Oh dear! I enjoyed it. If Episode 1 didn't win you over then probably the rest of the series won't, either.

I've seen all six now. It's quite good, but not enough for me to recommend to anyone. It's a comedy-drama, not a sitcom, and I think it would've been better served in a one hour slot. Vincent Swan is unlikeable, certainly, and I'm not rooting for him, but it is interesting to see how far he will go. He's like a sociopathic version of Vince Pinner in Just Good Friends. Both series are set in 1983 and involve a narcissistic, unethical wide-boy with a roving eye, but Vincent takes it further to the point of becoming a scheming, self-absorbed, callous, exploitive adulterer who hints, in one scene, that he doesn't even have a conscience. The ending left me with a bad taste, but you'll have to see for yourself to get what I mean.

No redeeming features and totally unedifying!

I will buck the trend by saying I really enjoyed the first episode.

Would 80s people stick Victorian furniture in their showroom? It would just look like an old people's home to them.

Yes, Chesterfield sofas were en vogue in the 80s.

I've just finished watching all six episodes.

I really enjoyed it all!

I enjoyed the first two episodes more than the last four as the stories weren't as stressful/tense in those two.

I'm hoping there's a series two.

Just watched 2 &3 - both very enjoyable. I agree with you King Mustard, I hope there is a second series.

It just leaves me really wanting the main protagonist, Vince Swann, to get a good slap!

Just finished the series. I really enjoyed it. I want to see what happens next.

Loved it!

I expect our hero will get a slap, several slaps - and remain too cocky for some. My wife couldn't watch for this reason.

I can't wait to find out what happens next - lots of well drawn characters I care about. Such a relief in the middle of this dreadful election. Good plot. Great gags.

My wife watched the first episode and wasn't really impressed. Maybe this is a bloke show.

I really enjoyed it. The 'continuous-storyline', /comedy-drama format worked well for this.

I saw the trailer for this and immediately thought oh no, not another Inbetweeners smutty comedy. However, within the first 30 seconds I was hooked and wanted to find out more about these characters so kept watching and continued for the next 3 hours until I watched all 6 episodes back to back.

Being born in 1970, meant I grew up, went to school, had my first girlfriend and first job in the 80s. I also bought my first suit and it was almost identical to the suits the boys wear in this comedy drama. The attention to detail from the wardrobe and props department is amazing. From some iconic cars to even the smallest details such as office furniture, they got it right. However, unless you enjoyed this era of decadence, ground breaking music and a new social attitude, then you are unlikely to enjoy this series.

The casting was done absolutely right with every actor playing their part well. The character Walshy should return if they make a second series and give Vince Swan a run for his money by starting a plastic cladding business (also became big in the 80s) to compete with Vince's double glazing business. Nice to see they kept it authentic by shooting in Essex most of them quite well known but it did take me a while to figure out the scenes of the rear of the shop where Vince gets his company car and Walshy gives his final goodbye (rear of shops just off Standford le Hope high street).

I think they have something here which can definitely return for another series to carry on where they finished in this one. The 80s was an amazing era and they have a lot of material to consider when writing a second series. I was a used car salesman in the late 80s so if Vince and his pals ever want to get out of the window game and into the dodgy dealings of the motor trade, I'll happily offer the writers some material which could take them on another wonderful journey...

Well done guys you have made a well written, directed and a wonderfully produced gem, which will hopefully be enjoyed by the viewers and the Beeb will commission another series.