No Income Tax, No VAT...

I've been wondering how Del Boy got away with no paying any money to the state. In one episode, he claimed that the authorities didn't know he was alive. Does this mean he faked his own death at some point?

Added to which, surely becoming a millionaire would have got him noticed by the government. Wouldn't he have gone to prison for tax evasion?

I appreciate I may be taking it too seriously :)

Quote: Dave @ 29th May 2017, 4:31 AM

I appreciate I may be taking it too seriously :)

At a loose end in the early hours of the morning were we? ;) I usually contemplate my navel.

He must have been registered for tax with a name like Trotter's Independent Trading but with paper records and no big brother back in the early 80s he may well have been just a very good cook or maybe brainy Rodders was his accountant?

Anyone can trade without HMRC necessarily being aware, especially in these days of self-assessment. The onus is on the individual firstly to register, then to complete returns accurately, then to pay the due amount. How many these days trade, for example, on the internet or in a market? Unless they are "shopped", HMRC would never be aware. And, if they are made aware, do they have the resources to follow it up?

The fact that he is trading as "Trotters International Traders" is irrelevant. Doesn't make HMRC any more aware. Different if you register as a limited company of course. But even they are dependent on returns being accurately completed and due amounts paid.

I speak as a former Collector of Taxes (until retirement).

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 29th May 2017, 11:18 AM

I speak as a former Collector of Taxes (until retirement).

:O There's a quisling in out midst and we never knew it!! Who will be the first to cast a stone? Unimpressed

You must have had an orgasm when you read that thread title. :P

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th May 2017, 11:48 AM

You must have had an orgasm when you read that thread title. :P

I must admit my eyes focused immediately on the title. :)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th May 2017, 11:48 AM

:O There's a quisling in out midst and we never knew it!! Who will be the first to cast a stone? Unimpressed

You forget that my job was the most important in the country. Alright, you wouldn't necessarily have called for me if your house was on fire or if you were having a heart attack. But without me & my colleagues, those for whom you would have called wouldn't have been there.

And did I get an O.B.E. ("'e be O.B.E. 'e be") after 45 years of loyal government service? No! :(

Yes, I remember the tax investigation I had about 10 years ago when my wife and I ran a Guest House.
"Don't feel picked on" my accountant said " you were just unlucky to get picked out of the hat"
F**king unlucky I would say.

This basta.....................tax inspector did his best to catch me out and my gob was totally smacked when he told me that the amount (sounds comical now) of sausages, bacon and especially eggs did not match the room receipts. I couldn't believe it!!!! He had actually quoted me the number of eggs we had bought in a year and asked me to explain the "anomaly". Let me repeat that he had actually counted up exactly how many eggs we had bought in a year. All I can say is F**king Hell.

Anyway, in the end he had to accept my "egg" eggplanation, but the bas....... I mean tax inspector was determined to wring some money out of me and screwed me to the tune of an extra £6,500 and cut our "private food use" food budget down for the future.

Yes, I have fond memories of tax inspectors, Yaroo! you fat owl. Pleased

Some readers may remember that Rodney begins keeping receipts in a very early episode. Del is horrified when he finds out and puts a stop to it. However this later comes to fruition as one such receipt details their ownership of the Harrison's Lesser Watch.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th May 2017, 2:55 PM

Let me repeat that he had actually counted up exactly how many eggs we had bought in a year.

How in the Hell did the government know how many eggs you'd purchased?

Yes, I remember the tax investigation I had about 10 years ago when my wife and I ran a Guest House.
"Don't feel picked on" my accountant said " you were just unlucky to get picked out of the hat"
F**king unlucky I would say.

This basta.....................tax inspector did his best to catch me out and my gob was totally smacked when he told me that the amount (sounds comical now) of sausages, bacon and especially eggs did not match the room receipts. I couldn't believe it!!!! He had actually quoted me the number of eggs we had bought in a year and asked me to explain the "anomaly". Let me repeat that he had actually counted up exactly how many eggs we had bought in a year. All I can say is F**king Hell.

Anyway, in the end he had to accept my "egg" eggplanation, but the bas....... I mean tax inspector was determined to wring some money out of me and screwed me to the tune of an extra £6,500 and cut our "private food use" food budget down for the future.

Did he ask where your eggs come from? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CH0Pi9Y-k4

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 29th May 2017, 4:06 PM

Did he ask where your eggs come from? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CH0Pi9Y-k4

:D No, but that would have been a good riposte - then got me nowhere or even cost more tax. :(

Quote: DaButt @ 29th May 2017, 3:54 PM

How in the Hell did the government know how many eggs you'd purchased?

? Dunno 'bout The States, but you have to give over all your paperwork/receipts/invoices in an investigation and as we bought all our eggs from a local free range egg farm by the tray it wouldn't take much to add up how many dozen over a year**........................if you have a mind to that is, which is what this "see you next Tuesday" did.

** THEN add up how many people you had in a year and come up with a per capita egg usage, which he did.....................making it 2 + 2 = 7 in his mind it seems.

Why did Herc's eggs cross the road? They wanted to get to the sunny side.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 29th May 2017, 4:17 PM

Why did Herc's eggs cross the road? They wanted to get to the sunny side.

>_< You gonna crack anymore? :P

Probably not, I'm finding it too taxing.

Like I say, I was "only" a collector; not an inspector. A very different animal. Very egotistical most inspectors. You have to take courses and pass exams to become an inspector.