Edinburgh Fringe 2017

I'm going (almost definitely), who else is going?

I'll be there from the 8th-18th, staying in hostels with my local (to me) comedian friend. I've never been abroad before so this is all very exciting. I'm already meeting up with Mark and a certain infrequent northerner forum-lurking friend of mine while I'm there, but would love to meet anyone else who wants to meet (and not murder) me (fopdoodle?). That's probably no one, but I thought I'd extend the offer. I can buy you a drink or something. We'll be staying at hostels, unless someone has a better idea (we haven't booked a room just yet, but are hoping to get all that sorted asap).

For people who are going or have gone in the past what shows are you most looking forward to or most enjoyed in past years? So far at the top of my wishlist is Jerry Sadowitz. And I'm not so secretly hoping Stewart Lee makes some kind of appearance, but nothing has been announced.

Does anyone have any advice for a newbie to your lands? I'll be a stranger in a strange place, and don't really know what to expect. No idea what fringe culture is like except from reading about it. Does anyone have any stories, favourite acts you've seen, people you've met in the streets, or just general tips on getting the most out of the festivities?

Is there anything I should definitely *not* do whilst there?

Any and all advice/stories/experiences/wisdom regarding the fringe would be much appreciated by yrstruly.

:):):)

Quote: Davida @ 27th May 2017, 9:15 AM

I'm going (almost definitely), who else is going?

For people who are going or have gone in the past what shows are you most looking forward to or most enjoyed in past years? So far at the top of my wishlist is Jerry Sadowitz. And I'm not so secretly hoping Stewart Lee makes some kind of appearance, but nothing has been announced.

I'm going for the first time this year too! Have you booked any shows already? I've booked a few, the ones I'm most looking forward to are Alexei Sayle, Michael Redmond, Mark Thomas, Nick Revell... Oh heck, I'm looking forward to it all!

I haven't booked much of anything yet, but have a lot on my list. Some are starting to sell out, like Sara Pascoe and Frankie Boyle, so I should probably get that sorted soon-ish. Sadowitz is still at the top of my list. I have to see Richard Herring, still with I could see Stewart Lee, just found out today that Derren Brown is doing The Playhouse while I'm there and I've always wanted to see him, and a kind friend bought me a ticket, so that's the only thing I'm officially set to see. A lot of shows on my wish list though. We shall have to compare lists! I'm sure there are things I've missed. There are so many shows! Some highly weird ones, some extremely silly ones, some interesting concept ones. All sorts.

I've never been more excited for something in my life though. Looking forward to buying Mark orange juice, and meeting up with BCG forum lurker Tony for a weekend, and whoever else wants to say hello. The more the merrier!

But we can't be the only two people on this forum going...come on people! Show some love for live comedy :D I'm going 5000 miles to see it and driving myself broker than broke.

If you're going to come to Glasgow, let me know. We've lots of good art galleries but I'm too old to be bothered with the night life.

This thread made me check out the Fringe website last night and I couldn't believe how big it is. I had no idea it was on such a scale and it got me thinking about visiting to catch someone and now I know Alexei Sayle is performing (cheers Sitcomfan64) that could seal the deal. I could even take a few days holiday and make the most of it because I just checked the rail fare and it almost made me vomit.

There is so much going on though how do you know what to go and see and what to miss? I would probably end up being like Indecisive Dave.

Personally I'm just a bit of an anorak and spent a morning going through all the comedy shows, then spending the afternoon splitting them into days and arranging them by times. It took some effort but it was worth it!

There's a really good fringe feature on this one website, what's it called....BCG or something? :P

You can construct a schedule on it. Very useful! You can select a date range and search just through what's on for that day and add it to your schedule and make lists and whatnot. You should come, Tarby!

Don't think I'll be heading to Glasgow, unless I have downtime and extra money, which I don't think I'll have. I just got sacked from my job so I'll be traveling on the cheap. I'm not one for night life either, and do like art galleries. I'll keep it in mind.

Quote: Davida @ 27th May 2017, 9:15 AM

Any and all advice/stories/experiences/wisdom regarding the fringe would be much appreciated by yrstruly.

My advice is going to sound like a worried dad because I've never been to the Fringe and it's been many moons since I embraced that Scottish air but the main thing is to be vigilant and remember that during big events like festivals when most people are just out to have a good time and meet new people there are the select few who are there to steal like the scumbag pickpockets and oportunist thieves. If it's not nailed down someone will take it and even it it's nailed down someone will still try and take it until it breaks and they scuttle off empty handed :D Being an American chick you will get plenty of attention and 99.9% of this will be from other likeminded revellers but just be careful ok. (in the words of the Red Dwarf Captain when they detect a non-human lifeform in The End)

Scotland and Edinburgh in particular is known for its hospitality and I imagine during the Fringe festivel this is multiplied by infinity so it's the best place on Earth to be but it's wise to be on your guard at all times because criminals know where there is a great atmosphere there are people not paying attention. I must look anti social when I'm out among crowds because I don't trust anyone and the more friendly someone is being the more wary I am. My biggest warning is to be wary of 'new friends' you meet who you might think are trustworthy until you get back from the loo to discover them and your bag are gone. I'm not suggesting I think you are the kind of person that would let that happen or are gullible and I'm sorry I'm a depressing bastard I'm just like the Ben Stiller character from Along Came Polly. I overdo the risk assessement with everything.

Also make sure your accomodation on the day you arrive is 100% booked so you don't get there after a long flight and not have anywhere to stay or the setup is less than you expected like a wafer thin mattress and sharing with a room full of flatulent sumo wrestlers. That would be just my luck. Consider the jetlag and a good nights rest will be important when you get there for at least one or two nights to help you adjust. Wherever you're staying when you arrive make sure it's confirmed and you know it will be comfy. I don't think a hostel will cut it so book a hotel or B&B.

Steer clear of the moors though and don't forget what happend in that 80s horror sequel - An American Girl In Scotland.

A film title like that sounds more Ealing than Eerie Laughing out loud

Bloody 'ell - <Scottish Accent> We're all doomed'

I'm staying in a hostel. Me and my friend are splitting a 4 bed dorm with two other people,. I'm sure the beds won't be comfortable, but I plan on exhausting myself to the point of not caring. I think ear plugs and my usual sleep meds will do the trick for that. I think of the hostel situation as being similar to what I had in college living in the dorms. I don't mind an awful mattress. I feel a bit bad for my travel partner though. She's pregnant, and we're both broke, so we can't really upgrade to a hotel at this point. She can't just conk out with sleeping pills. I'll bring extra ear plugs for her and maybe we can get some extra pillows or something.

I don't really carry a bag. I have a little wallet for my money and cards, and I'll have to think of somewhere to put my passport. I might carry a lightweight backpackers day bag that my mom has that fits a water bottle and a few snack bars, and maybe a lightweight jacket and a place to keep tickets and passport.

I'm thinking packing wise I'll bring a full size carry on suitcase, and then the little mini backpack. I don't want to overpack.

I'll be vigilant. I don't think I'll be drinking whilst there, so that takes that out of the equation. I'm a pretty trusting person, and I know there are people out there who might like to take advantage of that. But hopefully the fact that I'm 6' tall and will almost always have at least one friend by my side will scare any wrongdoers away.

I don't think I'll get mugged, but thanks for the tip!

I'm starting to put together a rough schedule. I haven't added some stuff in, and might move things or take things out. All of this is subject to chenge except for Derren Brown, and I definitely have to see Richard Herring and Jerry Sadowitz. Some of these are unknown to me, or people I've been wanting to see, or just free random things that looked interesting, or magic. I like magic. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Wednesday Aug 9:
Lost Voice Guy
Alun Cochrane
Frankie Boyle

Thursday Aug 10:
David Ephgrave
Richard Herring

Friday Aug 11:
Richard Herring's Edinburgh Fringe Podcast
Tim Vine
Alexei Sayle
Jo Caulfield

Saturday Aug 12:
Maria Shehata
Consignia's Panopticon

Sunday August 13:
Phil Jupitus
Henning Wehn
Donald Alexander and Stuart McPherson
Whose Line is it Anyway
Laura Davis

Monday August 14:
Stuart Goldsmith
Morgan & West
Paul Currie

Tuesday August 15:
Two Dunnit
Derren Brown

Wendesday Aug 16:
Jerry Sadowitz
Craig Ferguson
Sara Pascoe

Thursday Aug 17th:
Declan Amphlett
Milton Jones

Taking recommendations!

Is John Otway there this year at all?

Don't think so. Not in the programme.

Friday 11th and Sunday 13th look like great lineups.

I went to school with Ben Briggs who is doing a few shows. I have no idea what he's like at standup but if you see him I would be interested to know what you think. When we were kids he was the last person I could see becoming a comedian.

Agreed, though I'm going to have to move Henning or Jupitus because of time conflict which is unfortunate because my friend who wants to see them can only be there one night. I'm going to have to move a bunch of stuff, and delete some stuff, and add fight the urge not to add a bunch of stuff. It's hard to resist the urge to overbook myself. I should probably wait a bit before picking what to see on which days, except for the Sunday, as a friend is meeting up with me on that day.

And also Derren Brown, and Rich's podcast aren't going to move. Everything else is flexible. I'm really excited for Rich's podcast. I've watched RHLSTP for ages and never thought I'd actually be able to find myself sat in the room while it's being recorded. Kind of blows my mind. The whole thing blows my mind. I still can't believe I can go.

Anyone have any other recommendations?

Also, I just found out about the 6 month rule for passports, and freaked out because I don't have the minimum 6 months left on my passport before it needs to be renewed, but I looked up and the UK and Ireland (the only places I'll be flying into other than NYC) don't have the 6 month rule. Can anyone verify that that's true? If not I need to expedite my renewal. It takes 3 weeks at the quickest! (and 200$ I'd rather spend on food and shows). It doesn't expire until December, so if I can get away with it I'd like to wait to renew it until I get back.

gov.uk is the official UK government website so it's safe to say information on this website is the most up to date and often most helpful and descriptive. I've just taken a ganders and it looks like you are going to have to renew your passport so it doesn't expire during the six months you are eligibile to stay. It says the passport must be valid for the whole of the stay. It doesn't go in to details about wether you should be concerned with this requirement if you're not going to be staying until the passport expires (such as planning to leave before your passport expires and declaring this at immigration) but I strongly suspect this will not make any difference and the passport needs to be valid during the whole visa period. A minor factor like this could prevent entry.

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa/documents-you-must-provide

"You need a page in your passport that's blank on both sides for your visa. Your passport must be valid for the whole of your stay in the UK."

On the eligibility page is information on getting an academic visa that lasts for 12 months.