Overrated sitcoms? Page 22

The Labour Party- has it "Jumped the Shark"? It was funny for a while....now it's just sad

Quote: paulted @ 5th September 2016, 10:07 PM

The Labour Party- has it "Jumped the Shark"?

Politicians jump most things... This is a joke, for 'jump the shark' is an idiomatic expression, but I drew out the literal sense to make a satirical comment about the dubious practices of our political representatives.
As I said, The Young Ones is dated if you mean 'part of that period'. If you mean 'no longer funny', I beg to differ. (This is English for You are wrong.)

The Young Ones is still funny today as it was at the time.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 6th September 2016, 9:19 AM

Politicians jump most things... This is a joke, for 'jump the shark' is an idiomatic expression, but I drew out the literal sense to make a satirical comment about the dubious practices of our political representatives.
As I said, The Young Ones is dated if you mean 'part of that period'. If you mean 'no longer funny', I beg to differ. (This is English for You are wrong.)

Ooh-err! and crumbs

Quote: alan1967 @ 6th September 2016, 6:27 PM

The Young Ones is still funny today as it was at the time.

That's twice someone has agreed with me on something in 27 years.

Quote: alan1967 @ 3rd September 2016, 2:35 PM

Always loved Bottom and still watch it today and it never dates for me personally.

Always found The Young Ones a bit desperately shouty and self-consciously whacky. In Bottom the lads look like they are having fun, which is nice.

Quote: Tursiops @ 8th September 2016, 1:45 PM

Always found The Young Ones a bit desperately shouty and self-consciously whacky. In Bottom the lads look like they are having fun, which is nice.

Put much better than me, exactly my sentiments

My ambition, apart from the one involving Mel C and a shower attachment. is to stop having these three discussions, partly cos I've been here before, but mainly cos no one cares what I think and is even less ready to change his / her opinions thereon:
1. Why Bottom to The Young Ones is Wings to the Beatles.
2. How it is possible to like New Order and think they are massively overrated.
3. Why Mel C is the perfect woman, with or without shower attachment.

The first ones that come to my mind are yank ones, Seinfeld, Cheers, Taxi, Frasier, Friends, Curb Your Enthusiasm. With The last one and all the others this is very easy.

Quote: Barry Cross @ 30th January 2017, 6:34 PM

The first ones that come to my mind are yank ones, Seinfeld, Cheers, Taxi, Frasier, Friends, Curb Your Enthusiasm. With The last one and all the others this is very easy.

Totally get the Friends shout. Never really got it at all. However, Frasier I think is superb. Niles Crane remains one of my all time favourite sitcom characters.

And sublime acting from David Hyde Pierce.

Quote: Barry Cross @ 30th January 2017, 6:34 PM

Disagree totally with Cheers and Taxi being overrated as I cherish the memories of enjoying with my parents as a kid because the humour appeals to all age groups.

I never understood the popularity of Dad's Army, but that's just because it didn't appeal to me as a kid (or now) so wouldn't consider it overrated. Having said that, I gave Curb Your Enthusiasm a go as it seemed to be held in very high esteem - but couldn't tune in to the vibe . . . and as for Will and Grace - I can appreciate the script and great cast but just can't deal with her squeaky voice and the extreme gay camp that just grates on ears and eyes after a very short while.

US sitcoms are a strange breed. Often comedy by committee which is foreign to us. Fraser, Cheers, Friends (but went on too long) and Big Bang Theory (Sheldon is an excellently drawn character) are all pretty good. However I can't get Curb Your Enthusiasm. Hey ho!

I tried four times - FOUR TIMES - to get into Curb Your Enthusiasm and failed every time. It just left me cold. On the other hand, someone once told me they didn't find The Larry Sanders Show funny. I called the Police...

I really don't like Friends or Frasier or Everybody Loves Raymond, or Seinfield, or Curb your Enthusiasm, or How I met your Mother, or most US sitcoms. Pretty much the only ones i can think of that I really like(d) are/were Arrested Development and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and Lady Dynamite (Maria Bamford's show). Maybe a few others. I don't know, I don't watch much Americacn TV.

If anyone hasn't checked out It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia though I highly highly recommend giving it a fair chance. It doesn't warm up until the 2nd series, but it's not like most US sitcoms. It has 10 episodes per "season" and the writers are the actors are the producers, and the crew is fairly small. So the artistic vision of the writers is really maintained and comes through brilliantly in the show. The characters are lovably loathsome. It takes place in a dirty pub. The characters are not rich or successful. They are failures, scammers, schemers, and are delightful dirtbags. I absolutely fell in love with every character. Once Danny Devito joins in in S2 it really picks up steam and gets better and better. Its 12th series finished this year.