Getting Unsolicited Comedy Scripts Produced

Hello everyone.

My comedy co-writer and I have recently written and revised a pilot script for an alternative/absurdist sitcom TV/web series and would like to send it to potential production companies, TV channels and websites that would consider producing it. Who do you recommend? We'd also consider working with upcoming and smaller production companies and creative teams.

It would be an unsolicited script submission as we're not currently working with any production companies or TV channels/similar and do not have an official production company of our own - we're just writers with other skills in directing and music and a few web series, short films and music videos to our name such as: https://www.comedy.co.uk/online/spoonsville/

Thanks,

Joshua

Joshua, you're probably wondering why you've had no replies. It's just that the same question is asked on average once a month. If you dig through the threads you'll probably find one with your answer. Good luck!

As an absurdist writer I sympathise.

Fish.

Hi Guys,

My sympathies!! I have experience in writing at the BBC (one-liners/Sketches) and have four complete projects at www.imidders.wix.com/projects You'll find the business is now tightly closed up. Production companies won't touch us without an agent and agents won't touch us either. I had more success emailing producers at the BBC direct - but even the corporation has now shut up shop and my last 20 emails to BBC producers were blanked. Fact is they want to keep it in the cosy little "club" they've created which is why we get crap comedies on TV and meantime genuine comedy writers like us get nothing.

Not sure conspiracy theories help much.

Quote: Lazzard @ 18th May 2017, 3:25 PM

Not sure conspiracy theories help much.

The illuminati agree with you.

Quote: beaky @ 17th May 2017, 9:06 PM

Joshua, you're probably wondering why you've had no replies. It's just that the same question is asked on average once a month. If you dig through the threads you'll probably find one with your answer. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. I have already looked through the old threads in the BCG forums and have not found any websites and companies that I haven't yet contacted. I recently entered my script to the BBC via their Writers Room comedy submission window and will have to wait at least a few weeks until they've read through all the entries before hearing whether or not I've been successful.

Don't wait.
Write more stuff.

Quote: Lazzard @ 24th May 2017, 7:23 PM

Don't wait.
Write more stuff.

Believe me, I write a lot - currently working on a novel.

Don't mean to showboat, of course.

I suppose I should ask if anyone reckons it's best to go down the route of acquiring an agent by contacting them, sending things off in competitions and submission windows, or creating and publishing your own content on your own site or social media. Then again, I suppose it could well be a mixture of the three.

I would suggest the following:

1. Get your script reviewed by at least 3 people who know what they are talking about. That usually means paying them. Check that it actually is good, rather than just that you think it is good. They are not the same thing.

2. Send to production companies that make stuff you like. Opinion is divided as to whether you are more likely to get read sending a hard copy or an email. My own view is to send an email if you have the specific email address of a producer. Otherwise hard copy. Include a nice letter. Try not to be weird.

3. Then forget about it and write something else.

Cor blimey, look who's showed up again. Hello Jennie.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 25th May 2017, 7:23 AM

Sniff!...Sniff!...

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 25th May 2017, 7:23 AM

Hello Stephen!Wave

I like to keep an eye on things, make sure no-one is getting into trouble.

Thanks for your suggestions, Jennie. Of course I believe it's a good script although the passing of time and benefit of hindsight may in future tell me otherwise. We'll see.

Regarding your following point, who would I pay to do such a thing for me? I suppose I could ask a trusted friend to read it, though they may be a tad bias as they know me personally, and I'm assuming you meant reaching out to a 'professional' of sorts.

Quote: Jennie @ 24th May 2017, 11:41 PM

Get your script reviewed by at least 3 people who know what they are talking about. That usually means paying them. Check that it actually is good, rather than just that you think it is good. They are not the same thing.

Thanks.

A good starting point... http://www.sitcom.co.uk/writers/consultation.shtml