I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,917

I'm really enjoying the Trump presidency. It's like a car crash you can't take your eyes off. He's possibly the least presidential man ever to hold the office. Great fun.

Quote: DaButt @ 17th May 2017, 12:29 PM

It's worth pointing out that the daily doses of Trump hysteria are almost completely based upon anonymous leaks. Typically, the sources are described as former government or administration officials and that's code for "angry Democrats and Obama administration officials."

It's worth remembering that the majority of "Trump hysteria" has been generated by Trump himself, and his seeming inability not to shoot himself in the foot every minute of every day. He seems addicted to generating one crisis after another. I think part of Trump loves the drama because he gets to play the victim card again and again, which he and his supporters lap up.

And I'm pretty sure you didn't give a hoot when "Obama hysteria" was in full swing during his presidency and he had to put up with endless Birther bollocks and the like. Something Trump was a big part of propagating despite the fact there was no proof whatsoever. Much like his claim that Obama tapped him.

Quote: fopdoodle @ 19th May 2017, 4:59 AM

That is fantastic . . . absolutely tremendous. Actually made me laugh out loud . . .

I think I had it covered when I said "in this context I was not mocking the disabled in any way" but you somehow see fit to tell me I should still apologise, using my perhaps clumsy use of one word in same post as the sentence that followed referring to possibly the most offensive man in history.

I am perhaps the first to attack Trump on here but it's because I care about all people generally (so must be Trump's polar opposite - and you can tell I'm truthful as have no need to say 'nobody cares more than me, believe me'), especially disabled, homeless, and any minorities that are discriminated against (more than ever now given recent events) so I will say it was bad judgement, but I am not going to scrutinise every single thing I say before posting in future because nobody is going to please everyone all of the time with choice of words and I'm not in the habit of picking the posts of others apart either.

But it was the tiniest most insignificant oversight compared to the mocking of disabled reporter - I caught a clip of it again on a tweet earlier, and it's even shocking without sound . . . and I read that his remaining 'followers' are choosing not to listen generally at the moment given what's going on and some are even saying he may not even come back into the country after his trip - to avoid prosecution (depending on what comes out) or may not be allowed back in as a criminal!

No-one could make it up . . . and I will happily mock him relentlessly as he brings it all on himself by being a vile, mere husk of a human who deserves everything he gets, and the devil's in the detail - when he won't even take a couple of seconds to look up words he can't spell cos he just doesn't care about that either . . .

"How does it go? counsil, councell, cownsell, cown, no, must be coun, then sell, or cil, cell, sil . . .dumdedum, trump goood, mmmm, donuts . . ." :DWhistling nnocently:STeary>_<

It would have been a lot easier - and far more respectful - if you had just accepted your mis-use of the word "mongs" had caused offence, apologised for unintentionally doing so and moved on.

Instead you decline to do so and, miraculously, turn it instead into an attack on Trump's spelling ability. And, unbelievably, say that the fact that I pointed out that you had caused such offence actually made you laugh out loud(!)

It is a response that, if it had come from a certain gentleman across the Atlantic, would no doubt have led to further outrage.

Whether "in this context" you were "not mocking the disabled in any way" does not alter the derivation, and therefore the inappropriateness, of the word "mong" and one would have hoped that you would have been fully aware of that and respect those to whom - for good reason - it causes offence.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 19th May 2017, 12:35 PM

It would have been a lot easier - and far more respectful - if you had just accepted your mis-use of the word "mongs" had caused offence, apologised for unintentionally doing so and moved on.

Instead you decline to do so and, miraculously, turn it instead into an attack on Trump's spelling ability. And, unbelievably, say that the fact that I pointed out that you had caused such offence actually made you laugh out loud(!)

It is a response that, if it had come from a certain gentleman across the Atlantic, would no doubt have led to further outrage.

Whether "in this context" you were "not mocking the disabled in any way" does not alter the derivation, and therefore the inappropriateness, of the word "mong" and one would have hoped that you would have been fully aware of that and respect those to whom - for good reason - it causes offence.

As a well seasoned member of many forums over many years, I have learned a modicum of 'forum etiquette' and how to recognise when I have perhaps said something a tad offensive and to retract or simply demonstrate that I used an ill chosen word, but after having done so, when another member blows it way out of proportion, it is invariably about something else altogether.

I am not actually in a position of power as Mr. Trump is, so to state that my mocking of his spelling ability by comparison is ludicrous as this ability should be a bare minimum requirement for his job (as Jeremy Paxman asked of Boris Johnson 4 years ago: 'what's the price of a pint of milk?' and when he didn't have a clue, hit back with 'I don't know, how much is a loaf of bread?' to which Paxman replied: 'I'm not standing for election - you are!').

So I am rising above your nonsense, as given my 618 posts to date, it should be clear that I have no prejudice or disrespect towards anyone generally, with one clear exception . . . and by mocking the recently elected circus freak, I am simply a fully paid up member of an enormous global club who deal with it using humour/anger/both given fear he may damage their lives forever - with the difference being that his words alone could be catastrophic, not mine, so it's him you might really want an apology from, but if you are still not satisfied, I hope you can channel your anger issues to find a resolution some other way. Otherwise, if you continue to poke me, I will simply lavish you with sympathy for your obvious anger that clearly has little to do with one word I have already stated was misjudged, and everything to do with something else altogether.

I'll try again.................................

Quote: fopdoodle @ 19th May 2017, 4:59 AM

I think I had it covered when I said "in this context I was not mocking the disabled in any way" but you somehow see fit to tell me I should still apologise, using my perhaps clumsy use of one word in same post as the sentence that followed referring to possibly the most offensive man in history.

Hitler doesn't get a look in then, or Stalin, or Pol Pot, or Idi Amin, or Roberspierre, or Mao Tse-tung, or Papa Doc, or Ceausescu or ........................................

She did say possibly.

The warning signs were all there . . . a really disturbing read from just a couple of years ago, recalling events from 1996 meeting with frightening detail:

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/12/donald-trump-mark-bowden-playboy-profile

Can't we have a dedicated Trump thread which is easier to ignore?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 19th May 2017, 12:35 PM

the word "mong"

"I say, you fellows, I've just been called a mong," announced the fat Owl of the Remove.
"Look here, Bunter, you're making some idiot mistake," said Harry Wharton. "You know what an ass you are! If you're not telling crammers, you've got it wrong. This place is loaded with invective, I know, but no one uses a word like mong, not even a tick like Fopdoodle. Just shove the idea out of your silly head."
"I'm telling you, the word mong has been used," insisted Bunter.
"I tell you, there's nothing in it," said Harry, impatiently.
"That's all you know! If you'd been hiding in Coker's study on Saturday, you would have heard some --."
"You fat villain, you shouldn't be in Coker's study, snooping tuck and eavesdropping on people. You ought to be kicked for it."
"Beast! Mong!"
"That's enough Bunter. Cut off, and let me get my failed Newsjack submissions posted. Quelch will be itching to give me six of the juiciest, if these don't get posted by this afternoon."
Wharton resumed his writing, a painfully blunt barb about Donald Trump refusing to sign the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk. But Billy Bunter did not cut off. He stood blinking at Wharton by the study table.
"Look here, Wharton --."
Wharton focused all the more on loathing Trump's ample deficits.
"If I was called a mong, I ought to know about it, you know!" said Bunter. "And as head of our form, you should do something to stop it."
"Enough, Bunter," barked Warton. "I'm rising above your nonsense, as given my 618 posts to date, it should be clear that I brook no prejudice or disrespect towards anyone generally, unless I'm employing offensive epithets with absolute impunity. My self-righteous indignation always gives me the moral and intellectual high ground, you stupid bloated blighter!"
"You ass, Wharton," rejoined Bunter. His fat paw deftly removed a tin of biscuits from Wharton's study table. He then removed himself and the biscuits from the study. "Mong!" he muttered, a few moments later, upon discovering the tin contained Wharton's collection of giraffe semen slides.

Quote: zooo @ 20th May 2017, 12:27 AM

She did say possibly.

So?
In the recent past I have over-stepped the mark a couple of times and made an immediate apology but it seems making a crass statement or calling someone a total pricktard is OK, which suggests to me that possibly there is an us girls together thing going on.

Recant or be damned as I am sick and tired of "people" pedalling their left wing bile on here.

I agree with Nogget - "Can't we have a dedicated Trump thread which is easier to ignore?"

Then the two, maybe three Trump haters can spew what they like and applaud each other to their heart's content.

I get sick of reading lots of things too. People going on about football, or about how everything's the new forum design's fault. I'm surprised Trump hasn't been blamed on that yet actually.

Anyone is quite welcome to make a Trump thread, but I wouldn't count on every mention of him ending up there. This is a news thread, Trump's in the news every day, and people are allowed to talk about whatever they want.

It does seem the 'two, maybe three' Trump fans think they're the majority and people who think he's a joke are the minority, and that we should keep our offensive views about the poor man away from your sensitive gaze. Bless your hearts.

But as far as the other matter goes, I don't use the word mong myself, and if you find you've said something that has genuinely offended someone else in here, then it is of course nice to simply apologise and move on.

Quote: zooo @ 20th May 2017, 9:33 AM

Trump fans

Just to nail my colours to the mast, I'm certainly no Trump fan, in fact I think he's even worse than the detractors on this thread say, because aside from all the controversy, he's proven to be hopelessly ineffective, as witnessed by the 'Trump Slump' in the stock-market, as the money people realise he's not going to be able to achieve anything.

But there's so much more going on in the world than him.

Indeed there is. Become the change you want to see in the world.

(Or, post about other stuff in the forums, and the forums shall become about other stuff.) ;)

Quote: Nogget @ 20th May 2017, 10:31 AM

Just to nail my colours to the mast, I'm certainly no Trump fan, in fact I think he's even worse than the detractors on this thread say, because aside from all the controversy, he's proven to be hopelessly ineffective, as witnessed by the 'Trump Slump' in the stock-market, as the money people realise he's not going to be able to achieve anything.

But there's so much more going on in the world than him.

There is. but there's something oddly addictive about him. His conceit. His hubris. His tantrums. It's like in the heyday of Big Brother when we were all talking about Caroline or that angry Muslim girl or the girl with a bottle up her or the male model - there was other stuff going on but they were all horribly habit forming.

Plus, it's sweet that angry middle-aged white men are so protective of him.

Quote: zooo @ 20th May 2017, 9:33 AM

I get sick of reading lots of things too. People going on about football, or about how everything's the new forum design's fault. I'm surprised Trump hasn't been blamed on that yet actually.

Anyone is quite welcome to make a Trump thread, but I wouldn't count on every mention of him ending up there. This is a news thread, Trump's in the news every day, and people are allowed to talk about whatever they want.

It does seem the 'two, maybe three' Trump fans think they're the majority and people who think he's a joke are the minority, and that we should keep our offensive views about the poor man away from your sensitive gaze. Bless your hearts.

But as far as the other matter goes, I don't use the word mong myself, and if you find you've said something that has genuinely offended someone else in here, then it is of course nice to simply apologise and move on.

I didn't say it was offensive and have made no comment or shown any interest in the "mong" situation, so don't tar me with that brush. I couldn't give a flying f**k about Trump. As you may recall I detest politicians of any colour as they couldn't give a monkey's about the heaving masses because they are only in it to line their own pockets, then f**k off to their ivory towers to pontificate.

" then it is of course nice to simply apologise and move on." Pity you don't tell your "sister" that, but I know, that ain't going to happen.

Macbeth springs to mind possibly, as was told to me in a PM.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th May 2017, 10:45 AM

" then it is of course nice to simply apologise and move on." Pity you don't tell your "sister" that, but I know, that ain't going to happen.

Who the ever loving f**kery do you think I was talking to in my post?
Not everything everybody says is directed towards you, Herc.