Steptoe And Son Page 7

Here is the Swedish version of it, another classic Britcom taken from us: http://youtu.be/LxjliXkqM6Y

The Netherlands version: http://youtu.be/UuVuUt2DCdc

It might have been mentioned before (by me probably) but I would urge everyone to listen to the radio versions.

Somehow the relationship seems much more stark. At least that's impression I got.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6CpAlwItR4

Here is a rare clip of them having an interview from the 1970s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0W8t8CTNo4

Steptoe and Son visit Fawlty Towers!

One of the best sitcoms to hit British TV. The writers are classic and everyone should watch this. The films are great!

Quote: David Smith @ 10th July 2013, 8:38 AM BST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6CpAlwItR4

Here is a rare clip of them having an interview from the 1970s

Wow, that's almost weird seeing them talk in their normal voices, especially Wilfrid - both classically trained actors of course.

Am reading Harry H Corbett's biog. at the moment, written by his daughter.

I think this show is fantastic because of the characters and the way it is set. I think the idea of a rag and bone business is fantastic. The arguments they get in too, are wonderful and amazing. I think it is quite rare because not many sitcoms survived with all of the episodes at the time. If anyone watched the Steptoe documentary, it is interesting to see what happened after the show finished.

One of the best sitcoms to be made.

Quote: Wheel @ 12th December 2015, 9:34 AM GMT

I think it is quite rare because not many sitcoms survived with all of the episodes at the time.

Many episodes of Steptoe And Son were wiped by the BBC and only now exist thanks to private recordings.

Quote: Aaron @ 12th December 2015, 11:19 AM GMT

Many episodes of Steptoe And Son were wiped by the BBC and only now exist thanks to private recordings.

Stil, it is quite rare for the wiped episodes from the BBC to exist by private recordings.

Steptoe and Son: definitely one of the greats. Like so many of the top comedies of that era, one of the stars felt constrained and type cast by the role - or so I believe. Harry H., like Kenneth Williams, had aspirations to be a great Shakespearian actor and came to have mixed feelings about his role as the lugubrious Harold. A shame, given how many people he entertained with his brilliantly morbid comic performances.

Quote: Jamesey1967 @ 12th December 2015, 12:18 PM GMT

Steptoe and Son: definitely one of the greats. Like so many of the top comedies of that era, one of the stars felt constrained and type cast by the role - or so I believe. Harry H., like Kenneth Williams, had aspirations to be a great Shakespearian actor and came to have mixed feelings about his role as the lugubrious Harold. A shame, given how many people he entertained with his brilliantly morbid comic performances.

I don't think anyone else could play Harold better than Harry. H.

Just started on the box set bought for me sometime ago.......................fabulous, and what I noticed in the first two (Pilot and The Bird) was how gritty they were, especially the pilot when Harold couldn't push the cart out of the yard and started to cry. Quite moving.

Edit *
Oh, and beautifully acted throughout by both of them.

Now into the second (disc) series and it just gets better! I had forgotten how superb this sitcom was with the brilliant scripts and fantastic acting - A1 comedy and pathos. Cannot fail, and along with this you get the likes of John Laurie and Yootha Joyce making cameo appearances.

Loving every minute of them.

Started Disc/Series 4 last night with "And Afterwards at... " where Harold doesn't quite get married and it was full of absolutely brilliant comedy actors including Mollie Sugden as the disgruntled bride's mother - the argument that she and Albert (Wilfrid Brambell of course) have at the altar is superb!! Both actors giving it their all and what a tour de force of comedy acting - love it , love it, love it. Laughing out loud

Then the reception at Oil Drum Lane where Harold's uncle (George A Cooper) asks if he can have his wedding present back and a free for all breaks out amongst the now gathered Steptoe mob all wanting the same, including a superb bit of comedy acting by the one and only Rita Webb.

THIS is what sitcoms are all about and modern comedy writers/comedy actors would do well to watch these as a guide on to how to do it.

MAGNIFICENT WONDERFULNESS !

Sadly no more so thank God someone saved them.

Watched another outstanding one last night - Pilgrims Progress, where Harold finally agrees to take Albert to have one last look at the killing fields of WW1.

Wilfrid Brambell was absolutely superb and when he started an argument and eventually a punch-up with an American and a Frenchman on board the plane over them being late in the war etc. I was in hysterics.

Brilliant.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th June 2017, 9:31 AM

Mollie Sugden as the disgruntled bride's mother

Auntie Minnie on Oh What A Beautiful Mourning, of course.