Father Ted not going to America

In the final Father Ted episode, why did Ted decided not to go to America; despite wanting luxuries and thousands of money like he always did?

I think he changes his mind when he discovers how different it is compared to the safe monotony on Craggy Island. He would also be leaving everyone else behind, which would probably be something he always regretted (if he went).

I always thought it was because he found out it would be in a place where gang murders happen all the time and it wasn't a cushy number that American priest led it to be.

DefinitelyTarby and Alan1967 are absolutely right, it's a combination of all of those things. One thing which did concern me is that Mrs Doyle burned all of the parochial house's contents on a big bonfire before the quartet set off for the airport.

Father Dick Byrne "no furniture at all Ted? Ahh now that's a shame"

Ted "yes so you can see were in a bit of a fix..."

Father Dick Byrne "you must come over to Rugged Island and stay with us until you get sorted"

Ted "really Dick?"

Father Dick Byrne "Nooooooo!"

What if he did go to America to have a parish and get what he wants?

He didn't want Sean Bean to have a shoe-in as the most unbelievable priest on TV.

No, seriously. What if he did go to America to have a parish and get what he wants?