Why does comedy lean to the left?

It seems to be a well established fact that most comedians are liberal or further left again. Lost track of how many times Jim Davidson is the token right winger in such debates (I know there are more). So my question is why? Paul Merton in interview was of the opinion this extends to all comedy creators (i.e. writers but not actors). The BBC is considered liberal, so maybe it's an entertainment thing? I'm not as knowledgeable about bands, but there was a red wedge, but not a blue one. Why?

It's worth noting that political satire's hey day was during Thatcher and now Trump. But let's not debate politics, just figure out why this lefty lean is a thing, once and for all. Because if comedy.co.uk can't no one can.
:)

It could be to do with intelligence. Comedy is the highest form of intelligence(.......?)
Creatives often lean left. Ted Nugent and Kid Rock aside, most musicians, actors etc are progressive. Even Hollywood, which to me lags far behind comedy in terms of creativity is overwhelmingly democrat despite all the money floating about.
There are the exceptions (Andrew Lawrence and Lee Hurst spring to mind). A few comedians are non-PC and have quite an audience.
Or maybe the right are too grumpy to engage with entertainment and humour.

(To anyone on the right who's offended by any of this, it's partly tongue-in-cheek with a pinch of salt, so if you don't agree, just picture the awkward look on my face with that awkward combination.)

I believe it is due to empathy.
I think you need this to be creative - certainly in drama/comedy writing.
Empathetic people tend to 'sense' how others feel - leading to a more altruistic outlook.

What 'e said.

I think our universities were infiltrated by communists (or communist ideals) in the 30s and, institutionally, a left wing bias remains. I think a lot of students become left wing when they go to university because they know nothing about the real world and protesting etc seems cool and a way of fitting in. The BBC Is graduate city so it is no surprise that a left wing comedy lean exists.

It's because comedy works best when it's punching up, and we haven't had a proper leftist government to punch up to since the 70s.
Back then, it was quite normal to make fun of all things left-wing.

A lot of it is self-fulfilling. Lefties hire lefties. Comedy didn't used to be so left-wing; it was much more balanced, and some of the art's greatest names were of the right, from behind-the-scenes talent such as David Croft to the likes of Morecambe & Wise.

I think the BCG membership has a good mix but us right wingers have the edge (we do have Dabutt as our rope anchor).

Ya think?
I'd love to see a poll on these numbers.

I'm with Will on that one, but then you already knew that. :D

Quote: Will Cam @ 12th May 2017, 2:11 PM

but us right wingers have the edge.

Yeah but we've got Bono and all the decent entertainers. You can have the Edge and Bernard Manning, I'll give you that.:P

But back on topic, for me the best answer so far has been this

Quote: zooo @ 12th May 2017, 10:33 AM

What 'e said.

I totally agree with Lazzard. However, Bernard Manning allegedly lacked empathy yet had comedic talent, so did someone write his material for him ? Also Tommy Tiernam, does he write his own stuff ? Or are they just rare exceptions, because you can fake empathy ?
?

Quote: Firkin @ 12th May 2017, 6:05 PM

I totally agree with Lazzard. However, Bernard Manning allegedly lacked empathy yet had comedic talent, so did someone write his material for him ? Also Tommy Tiernam, does he write his own stuff ? Or are they just rare exceptions, because you can fake empathy ?
?

Complete bollocks.

The difference between right and left is the approach to solving problems, not that one side has a heart and the other doesn't. That's just the most tedious, lazy, and - ironically - unempathetic stereotype.

Yes, but you are on the right with us Aaron aren't you?

Quote: zooo @ 12th May 2017, 2:24 PM

Ya think?
I'd love to see a poll on these numbers.

Let's have a pole then!

Quote: Will Cam @ 12th May 2017, 10:55 PM

Yes, but you are on the right with us Aaron aren't you?

I certainly am!