I Love Lucy

Treated myself to the "I Love Lucy - The Very Best Of" box set for my birthday back in Feb. (couldn't justify the £77 34 disc [!!!} Complete series ) as I have very fond memories of watching these as a lad, along with Bilko - this basically is what comedy consisted of on UK TV in the early 1950s.

Just started to watch it having now finished George & Mildred - still very good and Lucille Ball was a very funny lady.

Loved Bilko hated Lucy.Perhaps it was her voice.
Lots of good stuff on the wireless then though.

Quote: wigwam willy @ 7th May 2017, 6:16 PM

Lots of good stuff on the wireless then though.

Everything 'cept ITMA. I listen to that now and just don't get it.

Lucille ball was a gorgeous woman. I was going to say redhead but she dyed it and was mousey.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 7th May 2017, 8:48 PM

Lucille ball was a gorgeous woman. I was going to say redhead but she dyed it and was mousey.

Oh, I didn't know that. I wonder why as most women in that period (and today I suppose) dyed their hair blonde.
Yes, I think she was quite sexy, but her comedy timing and willingness to indulge in full blown slapstick makes her unusual I think. Very funny too.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th May 2017, 10:08 AM

Treated myself to the "I Love Lucy - The Very Best Of" box set for my birthday back in Feb. (couldn't justify the £77 34 disc [!!!} Complete series ) as I have very fond memories of watching these as a lad, along with Bilko - this basically is what comedy consisted of on UK TV in the early 1950s.

Just started to watch it having now finished George & Mildred - still very good and Lucille Ball was a very funny lady.

Oh yes.

Wonderful stuff.