Our Friend Victoria

There doesn't appear to be a specific thread for this - so there is one now!

I was always a fan of most of her stuff although "dinnerladies" left me a bit cold.

Great to see those old sketches again - especially the Channel Swimmer whose parents couldn't care less and Waitress!

Incidentally first time I've noticed this. Great little joke about the inefficiency of Acorn Antiques she is credited as Victoria Woods with an S.

I found it strange that Shobna or Anita in dinner ladies described herself as 'an actress of colour'

Victoria Wood was great but she was also variable.

I enjoyed this programme which concentrated on her strengths.

Loved it and so good to see those classics "So I said to 'er, yer what" "Yer didn't" and the engaged boy and girl sitting on a bench or in a bus shelter always discussing their future life together.

"So that's ONE soup...............................and another one" How they all managed to keep a straight face is nothing short of a miracle.

Hope they show Julie as the manic assistant in the shoe shop - THAT is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

A performer beyond comparison. My earliest memory of Victoria Wood was watching her Audience With show in 1988. I was 11 and it was the first time I had seen a woman doing a stand up show and reducing everyone to tears of laughter. Before that my only experience of a woman doing stand up was the wonderful Marti Caine on New Faces.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 12th April 2017, 12:15 AM

A performer beyond comparison. My earliest memory of Victoria Wood was watching her Audience With show in 1988.

I can remember her (I'm ancient see) in "That's Life" with Esther Rantzen in the mid 70s

I simply cannot believe that she is no longer with us. :( A year ago next week.

Such an all round talent.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th April 2017, 6:56 AM

I can remember her (I'm ancient see) in "That's Life" with Esther Rantzen in the mid 70s

Yes me too! Very uncomfortable and nervous.

She will always be my favourite female comedian.

Well there's a turn up for the book.........................

The League Of Gentlemen (Mark Gatiss, Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith) present the penultimate episode of Our Friend Victoria, which explores Victoria Wood's take on Television.

.............who would have thought.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th May 2017, 9:15 AM

Well there's a turn up for the book.........................

The League Of Gentlemen (Mark Gatiss, Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith) present the penultimate episode of Our Friend Victoria, which explores Victoria Wood's take on Television.

.............who would have thought.

....I would have thought.

Haven't watched it yet, but I've got it queued up. Looking forward to it.

At one point there are two Reeces, you will love it.

I wish they'd repeat all Victoria's old shows.

My only disappointment was they didn't feature 'Lark Pies to Cranchesterford' from her Mid Life Christmas show?

And the throwaway bit of comedy from that, that made me laugh was the Victorian/Medieval (?) shop that had a "No Smirking" policy and showed an area set aside, outside where people could smirk.

Clever and funny. :D

Quote: zooo @ 11th May 2017, 9:48 AM

At one point there are two Reeces, you will love it.

I wish they'd repeat all Victoria's old shows.

Ooh, that sounds lovely! But Reece, that mustache! Why?!

Giving it a watch now, before work. ("Waking up" an hour and a half after you "went to bed" to watch a comedy programme at 5am before work is totally normal bevahiour, right? Don't answer that.)

Anyway, enjoying this thoroughly.