Whining men. Page 3

Quote: zooo @ 25th April 2017, 7:09 PM

I guess men are just weaker than women. :(

We certainly don't live as long.

Quote: Nogget @ 25th April 2017, 6:57 PM

You can't argue with the figures.

Many infections cause more severe illness in men than women. Men infected with tuberculosis are 1.5 times more likely to die than women; men infected with human papillomavirus are five times more likely to develop cancer than women; and men infected with Epstein-Barr virus are at least twice as likely to develop Hodgkin's lymphoma as women.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2115987-viruses-may-have-evolved-to-hit-men-hard-but-go-easy-on-women/

Can argue with equating 'man flu' aka 'the common cold' with things like tuberculosis, and cancer. I'm talking about men who act like they're dying and stay home from work for ages when they've got a stuffy nose and a scratchy throat. :P

(And the HPV-cancer statistic is just flatly false: https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/hpv/statistics/cases.htm )

(In fairness, I don't think women complain less than men.)

I read somewhere that phrases like man-flu and man-up are preventing some men from going to see their GP because they feel they should just get over it which can cause a minor illness to become something much more serious or other complaints go unchecked.

I have to admit when I get a cold and lemsips are not helping I will take a day off and stay at home partly because I had the worst bout of flu in my life a few years ago and I hope I never go through that again. I had a sore throat and was coughing up green stuff for a month and had the worst hacking cough ever. I was coughing so much it would make me dizzy to the point of almost passing out. In hindsight I could have had something like pneumonia and should have seen a doctor but I just tried to battle through. One night I was coughing so much and struggling for breath that I really thought I was going to die that night. Thankfully I didn't because that would have been a real bummer.

To think all this started over a man having a thumb (or a pointer?) up his bum. I'll bet you're all glad I mentioned it

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 25th April 2017, 9:26 PM

I read somewhere that phrases like man-flu and man-up are preventing some men from going to see their GP because they feel they should just get over it which can cause a minor illness to become something much more serious or other complaints go unchecked.

I have to admit when I get a cold and lemsips are not helping I will take a day off and stay at home partly because I had the worst bout of flu in my life a few years ago and I hope I never go through that again. I had a sore throat and was coughing up green stuff for a month and had the worst hacking cough ever. I was coughing so much it would make me dizzy to the point of almost passing out. In hindsight I could have had something like pneumonia and should have seen a doctor but I just tried to battle through. One night I was coughing so much and struggling for breath that I really thought I was going to die that night. Thankfully I didn't because that would have been a real bummer.

Thing is, you can't really fake illness because when you are properly sick, you look it. I could tell that my ex was not faking 'man-flu' as his eyes were bloodshot, he was clammy and pale and the subtle differences in body language suggesting pain can't really be faked.

But as for 'braving it' and just waiting it out . . . sounds like me. I usually get sent home as nobody wants to be around anyone riddled with germs, but I'm always convinced it's nothing until someone tells me I look like shit. So I go to bed for 2 days max and convince myself I'm okay by day 3. Big mistake when it's glandular fever - and recently, I had a mystery temperature of 105 which meant I should really have been in hospital rather than at home in bed - but luckily my then partner phoned NHS direct and took advice on how to get my fever down, as by that time, my fever was so high I was delirious and didn't really know what was going on, so may not have ended so well had I been on my own.

Quote: fopdoodle @ 25th April 2017, 10:07 PM

Thing is, you can't really fake illness because when you are properly sick, you look it. I could tell that my ex was not faking 'man-flu' as his eyes were bloodshot, he was clammy and pale and the subtle differences in body language suggesting pain can't really be faked.

But as for 'braving it' and just waiting it out . . . sounds like me. I usually get sent home as nobody wants to be around anyone riddled with germs, but I'm always convinced it's nothing until someone tells me I look like shit. So I go to bed for 2 days max and convince myself I'm okay by day 3. Big mistake when it's glandular fever - and recently, I had a mystery temperature of 105 which meant I should really have been in hospital rather than at home in bed - but luckily my then partner phoned NHS direct and took advice on how to get my fever down, as by that time, my fever was so high I was delirious and didn't really know what was going on, so may not have ended so well had I been on my own.

A similar thing happened to my brother a few weeks ago because one minute he was fine and then all of a sudden he felt sick and his temperature went through the roof. He had to go to hospital by ambulance and was hooked up to an ECG machine. Fortunately he started to feel better after being given treatment for a bacterial infection but spent a few nights there. His wife called an ambulance so if he had been alone he might not have wanted to and got much worse.

Last week I started to get a coldsore tingle and within a few hours I felt sick and really drowsy at work. I don't often get coldsore attacks and maybe once every year or two but they always come on suddenly and makes me feel really tired and almost delirious. Zovirax works wonders and always gets rid of it before an actual coldsore appears (thankfully) and I'm extra careful to prevent it spreading but it's such a pain I wish there was a cure for it. I couldn't tell anyone at work because I prefer to keep it to myself otherwise there will be endless teasing and photoshopped emails about herpes. It's not my fault I'm such a great kisser :D